ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Willis speaks out

cravnravn

When a team is winning is there really a problem? At this point in the season we should continue doing what we are doing as it is working and has this team playing way beyond expectations.

If Willis is not suited for this team and management made a bad move, they'll address it in the offseason. Right now, I would say it's critical to keep that team together this time of year.

I'm assuming that's how some of the coaches are treating this situation. Since it's not detrimental, deal with it during the offseason. We're fortunate that it is not.

Maybe Willis is at 75% health right now, there is a good argument to rest him. Willis is a "very" good back when he is healthy.

We will need him down the road

If he can not contribute, cut him in the off season

I feel it is the Baltimore media (Insert Preston) that looks for crap that aint there.

I just started to read him again, that didn't last long

Jesus Christ. Why are we trying to find a problem where none exists? Aren't you the very person, DC, who wrote that having three excellent backs is a good issue to have? If one of them is injured, and the other two are doing more than enough, why is there a problem?

Your answer to that is that McGahee is being paid to an extent that you demand some sort of fire and visible passion to play. Unless you're paying the bills, that's irrelevant.

Secondarily, there's nothing hypocritical whatsoever regarding the performance on the team as it relates to McGahee being on the field. If what he's doing is helping the team enough to get wins, there is absolutely no problem. If what he's doing is preventing the team to be at its best, resulting in losses, then there is an issue.

The question, then is whether what he's doing is helping or hurting the team. That's blown away quickly when it's discovered (as I hope it will be for you) that there is no argument for him hurting the team. He's simply not. If he's injured, he's getting healthy. If he's suiting up, he's giving the opposing team something to worry about while our other backs are doing the work. There is no evidence that he's sandbagging anything, so the argument that he is proves disgustingly absurd.

This goes back to a simple desire to have the best that there is. You want a player who always wants the ball and always wants to help. However, you've taken one public statement that McGahee made--that he's satisfied with his teammates doing well while he rests up--and blown it totally out of correct proportion. The quote provides no evidence that he doesn't want to play, or that he's not injured, or that he doesn't care.

This is a simple case of looking for a problem where none exists. Your application to The College of Mike Preston has been accepted. Welcome!

We always have been, it holds true for the Orioles too, for that matter all of Md sports.

Especially the Terps!

So why is Willis given a free pass? Because he is still a very good runningback even with a bum knee. We know that if we give him the ball, he will run hard and find the whole. Sure, we got mad that Jamal would get gassed easily, but what would get us even more mad about Jamal is that he would dance and not hit the hole. Willis always seems to find a hole, even if the yardage is not there. Yes, Willis gets gassed as well, but with two other good backs, it not as big of a deal.

Jesus Christ. Why are we trying to find a problem where none exists? Aren't you the very person, DC, who wrote that having three excellent backs is a good issue to have? If one of them is injured, and the other two are doing more than enough, why is there a problem?

Your answer to that is that McGahee is being paid to an extent that you demand some sort of fire and visible passion to play. Unless you're paying the bills, that's irrelevant.

Secondarily, there's nothing hypocritical whatsoever regarding the performance on the team as it relates to McGahee being on the field. If what he's doing is helping the team enough to get wins, there is absolutely no problem. If what he's doing is preventing the team to be at its best, resulting in losses, then there is an issue.

The question, then is whether what he's doing is helping or hurting the team. That's blown away quickly when it's discovered (as I hope it will be for you) that there is no argument for him hurting the team. He's simply not. If he's injured, he's getting healthy. If he's suiting up, he's giving the opposing team something to worry about while our other backs are doing the work. There is no evidence that he's sandbagging anything, so the argument that he is proves disgustingly absurd.

This goes back to a simple desire to have the best that there is. You want a player who always wants the ball and always wants to help. However, you've taken one public statement that McGahee made--that he's satisfied with his teammates doing well while he rests up--and blown it totally out of correct proportion. The quote provides no evidence that he doesn't want to play, or that he's not injured, or that he doesn't care.

This is a simple case of looking for a problem where none exists. Your application to The College of Mike Preston has been accepted. Welcome!

And to all this, I say simply:

I wasn't trying to create issues where there were none. But that doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye. The issue should be discussed.

If someone tells me to shut it or that my point is not worth talking about, then I am certainly happy to divulge the multitude of reasons and possibilities that it should be discussed.

]Jesus Christ. Why are we trying to find a problem where none exists? Aren't you the very person, DC, who wrote that having three excellent backs is a good issue to have? If one of them is injured, and the other two are doing more than enough, why is there a problem?

And as for the relevance of his pay... it's the same reason the discussion of Bart Scott's play and attitude are relevant. The league has a salary cap. At every juncture you have to determine what a player is worth in relation to every other because adding one may mean losing another.

Again, it's not a matter of being anti-Willis. It's a matter of discussing the issue. We started it a few weeks back, if you remember. It's not an issue about this season specifically, it's an issue about this team as we move forward.

Willis' actions on the bench deserve as much scrutiny as the actions of every player on the field, because come season's end, someone is going to have to decide how we pay and deal with three backs who all want to start.

And as for the Mike Preston comment...

In the first place, while I may be looking for problems, I am not making them up.

Second, I know how to write. I know what a paragraph is. I know what a topic sentence is. My articles rarely start or end with sports cliches. And, most importantly, I know the proper use of a comma.

I didn't say that it's not to be discussed. My point was that there's nothing to discuss. The salary cap and essential roster won't suddenly change before the end of the season, so those sorts of things can be left for then. McGahee is happy where he is, Harbaugh is satisfied with him there, and the team is performing to the necessary standards.

I recognize that my car needs oil changes. At a certain time, I have to decide whether the oil I have is worth not spending money to replace it. However, it's never economically sound to buy and change the oil once a week; that's ridiculous. When the time comes, the issue can be handled, but while things are going well and no blame exists to be assigned, neither, then, exists any problem worth discussing.

McGahee isn't a prima donna. He isn't lazy. He does care. He is worth the money we're paying him. He is simply taking the rest afforded to him during/after (whatever) injury, as his teammates carry the load for him.

I'll end by applauding your destruction of The College. :lol:

I didn't say that it's not to be discussed. My point was that there's nothing to discuss.

Seinfeld is one of my favorite shows...

He isn't lazy.

Even if I grant you the rest, I still can't just concede this. He has a reputation already, even if he's trying to shed it.

Seinfeld is one of my favorite shows...

Ooh. You're good.

Even if I grant you the rest, I still can't just concede this. He has a reputation already, even if he's trying to shed it.

Don't concede it, but it's pure conjecture, and without the evidence necessary to discuss. The man is happy with the fact that his teammates are helping the team. The fact that he was called lazy in the past doesn't mean that this situation merits a return to the reputation.