ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Kyle Juszczyk

vmax

Need to run full speed into linebackers and defensive linemen?

Get a Polack.

Draft Analysis:

"He stoned every linebacker in one-on-one blitzing drills at the Senior Bowl. His mentality he can play fullback. He can play H-back. There's value." -- Mike Mayock

130 A BAL.png Ravens select: Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard

A versatile TE/Fullback hybrid who can block on the edge or out of the backfield to help spring Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce for long gains. Gets an A just so he can have another badly needed vowel.

03/28/2013 - 2013 Harvard Pro Day: Kyle Juszczyk could be first Harvard player drafted since 2005...Representatives from 15 NFL teams gathered at the pro day held at Harvard on March 14, where six Harvard players and nine others from different schools worked out.

Kyle Juszczyk, Harvard FB (6-foot-1 1/4, 248 pounds) - Juszczyk - who was not at the NFL Scouting Combine - ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 and 4.71 seconds. He had a 37-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.19 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.93 seconds. He performed 24 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. Juszczyk played some tight end and H-back for the Crimson, but worked out at fullback at his pro day. He had a very good workout, and I imagine that this showing will earn Juszczyk a draft selection somewhere in the fifth or sixth rounds. The last player drafted out of Harvard was quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the fifth-round of the 2005 NFL Draft. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Overview
While Juszczyk isn't a household name to fans, he is well-known in NFL scouting circles. He declined invitations to play in the CDS All-Star game in Tucson, Ariz. and the East-West Shrine Game, prefering to focus on the Senior Bowl, where he enjoyed a strong week.

That didn't earn him an invite to the 2013 Scouting Combine, but Juszczyk remains a strong candidate to be drafted in the later rounds or certainly be a priority free agent an H-back prospect who can lead block and be involved in the passing game.

Juszczyk led the Ivy League with eight touchdown receptions and led a potent Harvard team with 52 catches for 706 yards (13.6 ypc). For his career, he set the mark for all Harvard tight ends with 125 catches (6th all-time) for 1,576 yards (7th all-time) and 22 touchdowns (3rd all-time).

Analysis
Strengths: Good H-back/fullback candidate. Good lead blocker, with the ability to de-cleat defenders. Soft hands, runs solid routes and can pick up the tough yards after the catch.

Weaknesses: Level of competition concerns. Must display the versatility to be able to line up in the backfield and be an effective lead blocker in the hole against NFL linebackers.

01/24/2013 - Four small-college players to watch from the Senior Bowl...Phil Savage, the new director of the Senior Bowl, has done a nice job of bringing a wide variety of talent to the 2013 Senior Bowl. What hit home for me today was the brilliant selection of small-college players brought in to compete with the "big boys." Four of the 10 small-college players here really grabbed my attention this week and leave little doubt they can play in the NFL.

Kyle Juszczyk from Harvard is an ideal H-back/fullback candidate. He has been impressive as a lead blocker on the inside run game and has decleated a number of linebackers in the run drills. He is a fine receiver out of the backfield or as a wing has been excellent all week. He has soft hands, runs good routes and is physical after the catch. The 49ers run a lot of two- and three-tight sets and a number of teams are studying that offense. Juszczyk would be a great fit for that type of offense. - Pat Kirwan, CBSSports.com

This pick looks versatile. He can block, catch and score.

Develop him behind Leach....find some goal line packages for him.

They aren't keeping 2 FB's on the roster. They only used Leach 32% of the snaps. He is $4.5 mil on the cap for that.

Yea...and that CAP number is the only reason that he may go.

Here's more....

The Crimson did not use Juszczyk as a traditional fullback. He was a running back, a fullback and a tight end. At times, the coaching staff also used Juszczyk, who was a Wildcat quarterback in high school, as a slot receiver. As a senior, he had a team-high 52 receptions for 706 receiving yards and eight touchdowns.

In a conference call, he said the Ravens would use him as a “move fullback” or H-back, someone who can lineup in the backfield or move out to tight end. We have seen Ed Dickson be used in this way a little bit, but a good example of this is how Houston used James Casey and Washington used Chris Cooley for years.

“When they spoke to me they mentioned as kind of a move fullback, someone they can use to line up in a lot of different formations,” said Juszczyk, who is listed at 6-foot-1 and 248 pounds.

That is obviously a lot different than how the Ravens have used Leach. Sure, they occasionally motioned Leach out of the backfield to line up as a blocking tight end or out wide as a receiver. But he was mostly used to bulldoze linebackers out of Ray Rice’s way.

Juszczyk would really give them position flexibility, allowing them to keep him on the field more often than Leach, who played just 42 percent of the offensive snaps in 2012. Hypothetically, the Ravens could, for example, use two wide receivers, Rice, tight end Dennis Pitta and Juszczyk in their no-huddle offense and call a Power-I run play one snap then go five wide the next without substituting.

“I don't think I'm that traditional old-school kind of fullback who's going to run isos all day. Although I feel like that's something I can be effective at. I think there are other ways I can be used," he said.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sports-blitz-ravens-draft-kyle-juszczyk-20130427,0,2526370.story#ixzz2RhkVDmIC

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-sports-blitz-ravens-draft-kyle-juszczyk-20130427,0,2526370.story#ixzz2RhjuVWj9

Edited by vmax

I don't think this is going to lead to Leach being cut. He is on the cap for 4.33 but we would only save 3 by cutting him. We need Vonta, especially since we haven't gone out and gotten another WR I expect a lot of running this year. Add in that right now it appears our LT will be a run-blocker, Pierce showed he can play, and I'd say the running game will be a huge focus this year, Vonta likely stays.