ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Deonte Thompson getting noticed in Ravens receiver competition

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/21/deonte-thompson-getting-noticed-in-ravens-receiver-competition/

The Ravens traded Anquan Boldin to the 49ers earlier this offseason, leaving them to sort through the rest of their roster to find receivers to play alongside Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones this offseason.

Boldin led the team in both catches and receiving yards last season, so there’s a big hole to fill even if Torrey Smith takes the expected step up after catching 99 passes over his first two seasons. Jones’ kick and punt return responsibilities mean that he’s only going to be able to do so much so that leaves a relatively inexperienced crew vying for expanded roles in the Baltimore offense.

According to Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, Deonte Thompson is standing out in that group ahead of Tandon Doss, David Reed and LaQuan Williams. Preston reports that the Ravens think Thompson, who had five catches in his rookie season, has the “inside track” on a starting job across from Smith because he is the most complete option of the group. Coach John Harbaugh didn’t go that far in his assessment, but he did give a positive review of the second-year player.

“[Thompson] could sneak in there, he looks different, is fast and catches everything,” Harbaugh said. “But the other guys like Doss and Reed have done well and worked hard during the offseason. As I’ve always said, the best player will play.”

There’s been so much focus on the changes to the Ravens defense this offseason that Boldin’s departure and the ensuing gap in the depth chart have been relatively small topics of conversation. That figures to change in OTAs and training camp as the team tries to put together an offense capable of repeating as Super Bowl champions.

I liked the look of Thompson in preseason last year. My only concern is what does he offer that is different to Torrey and Jacoby. All 3 seem to be very similar style of receivers and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it could be problematic if that style of receiver is being shut down by certain defenses. That said, all that speed on the field at once sure is going to be fun to watch.

Thompson is the guy I'm hearing about as the one who can make an impact. I hear good things about Reed too but I'm skeptical about him.

Jacoby Jones might get bounced out if some guys can prove that they will catch the ball when targeted. Jacoby should be a #3 option only. He is not a #2. He belongs here now...not Dancing with the Stars.

Jacoby's true value is his return elite ability. Our special teams turned around when Jacoby took over full time duties. As much as we'd like Jacoby to be that number two guy it would be even more ideal for one or two of the young guys to step up and Jacoby can be a solid deep threat while taking full time return duties. Jacoby doesn't need to have a huge move for us, just give us a little more production, use his speed to open up the box, and keep up the big plays in the return game.

Jacoby's stats look average but he did have two big TDs called back due to bogus offensive PI calls. He could be a redzone target for us as well. I am sure Streeter could compete in the redzone too. Each guy will have his own role in this receiver by committee.