ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Can the Ravens Defense become Elite Again?

vmax

Matt Williamson thinks so...

“Adding D Smith could be HUGE for #Ravens, who I already expected to have an ELITE D in 2013...good for A Brown as well to mentor,” tweeted ESPN NFL scout Matt Williamson.

Things are "looking up" gang! :gorave:

Ravens fans know what an Elite Defense looks like.

I think Ozzie did a great job shopping for talent on the D with his limited budget.

Right now all I can say is the 2013 defense looks great "On Paper".

It's an "On Paper" defense because of the huge amount of turnover in personnel who had played together for a long time executing the Ravens defensive schemes.

For 2013 we have a fresh, new, fast, physical group of players, who need time and experience working together to bring their unit up to the 'Elite' level.

I believe they will do it under Peas and his deep, experienced coaching staff.

There is a core of players intact who know how to "Play like a Raven" and execute this defense. Suggs, Webb, McClain, Jones, Ngata, and McPhee. Corry Graham and Johnson are 2nd year savvy vets on this D with playoff and Super Bowl experience. Jimmy Smith too. He was big in the SB. Adding Canty, Spears and Dummervil with their veteran experience and talents is a huge upgrade. The defensive line looks to be very stingy against the run and there are a lot of pieces in place in the front 7 to bring a ton of heat on QB's.

The line backing core of Suggs, Brown, McClain, Upshaw/Dummervil is the biggest question mark as far as how good will that unit be....but that's some serious talent there.

The secondary in my eyes is perfect. Webb, Smith, Elam and Huff. That group does it all. They are hard hitters, great against the run and they can cover very, very well.

A D can not be 'Elite' without the talent. I see the talent.