ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Door still open for Leach

vmax

I thought it was over....

When the Baltimore Ravens officially cut Vonta Leach, general manager Ozzie Newsome said the Pro Bowl fullback could return to the team once he explores free agency. But I really didn't think this was a possibility.

Now, 13 days later, the chances of Leach coming back to the defending Super Bowl champions may be increasing. Leach has drawn interest from the Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans, but neither team has apparently offered enough to get him to sign. The other team to watch is the New York Giants, who are considering increasing their offer to Leach, according to the New York Daily News.

At this point, the Ravens are "still quietly monitoring the situation" with Leach, according to the Baltimore Sun. He was released when the sides couldn't come to terms on reducing his $3 million salary this year. But the Ravens' offer -- reportedly $2 million plus incentives -- could end up being the best one on the table.

If the Ravens are unable to keep Leach, it may not hurt them as much as many think. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Ravens averaged 4.1 yards per carry with Leach on the field last season and 4.5 yards per carry with him off the field. What can't be measured is the leadership and toughness that Leach brings.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Leach is expected to make a decision by early this week. Don't be surprised if it's a return trip to Baltimore.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71646/could-vonta-leach-return-to-the-ravens

I'd feel better knowing he would be back hammering linebackers.

130113_Ravens2.ss_full.jpg