ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Take a trip in the ER 'Way Back' Machine

vmax

We are all very familiar with the huge roster turnover this year. We look at this new 2013 Ravens roster and wonder if this will be an 8-8 squad or gel into a playoff contender because of all the new faces.

Well..."We have all been here before"....in 2008. Our staff of scientific experts here at ER has proof...see below.

deja-vu-5.jpg

Let's take a trip in the 'Way Back' machine to 2008.

The 2008 off season started with Billick getting canned and an unknown Special Teams coordinator, John Harbaugh, being given the Head Coaching position.

Malcom Cameron was named OC after failing with the Dolphins as their HC.

Steve McNair retires. Flynn was released and Ogden announced his retirement in June.

The big Free Agent acquisitions that year were Ayambadejo and Frank Walker. They got Fabian Washington through a draft trade.

They had the 4th toughest strength of schedule in the NFL.

They had a very good draft but we did not know that at that time:

Flacco, Rice, Goodin, Zibby, Cousins, Marcus Smith, Hale Nakamura, Harper and Patrick.

Samari Rolle played hurt and missed 6 games. McAlister only had 5 starts and was IR'd. The secondary was a rotation of Walker, Washington, Reed, Zibby, Leonard, Ivy and Nakamura.

The O line was Anderson, Brown, Chester, Grubbs, and Gaither.

Heap and Wilcox were the TE's.

Clayton, Figurs and Mason the WR's.

Lorenzo Neil at FB with a RB rotation of McGahee, Rice and McLain...not too shabby.

OH...and it looked like Boller would be the starting QB. :scared:

That roster looked weak (at least to me!) in early July of 2008. The Ravens had gone 5-11 the year before and maybe .500 would be a good step forward.

In stead, they went 11-5 and won 2 playoff games before losing in the AFC Championship game.

Now....I'm not saying the same similar season will happen for the 2013 Ravens, but their draft looks like it has the potential to have the same results as the 2008 draft. I'm banking on Elam, Brown, Williams, the Polak and others to be pleasant surprises.

Right now I'll take Canty, Huff, Daryl Smith, Dumervil and Spears over the 2008 FA signings. Looks way better.

After this exercise, the prospects for the 20013 season look better too. Because 'We have all been here before'. :gorave:

This is what I like hearing...

Jameel McClain @JameelMcClain

2 workouts in now boxing or yoga tonight. Which one?

This team will be fast and in shape....

.... boxing has become the en vogue offseason training method for some Ravens players.

Smith is joined by tackle Bryant McKinnieicon-article-link.gif, linebacker Jameel McClainicon-article-link.gif and perhaps more in using the sport to keep in shape during this down time in the NFL schedule.

Smith lost 10 pounds and said he strengthened his core muscles, which particularly helps improve balance and stability. He also felt it would help his speed.

Balance and stability are key factors for an offensive tackle, especially one with McKinnie’s 6-foot-8, 354-pound frame. McKinnie is training with boxer Jose Perez in Florida, and posted this video of himself in a workout:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Caw-Boxing-Popular-Offseason-Training-For-Ravens/8a330565-81c6-4b40-931c-86aae6925af2

05_Caw_Boxing_news.jpg