ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

More Good News on Monday Practice

oldno82

Some bright spots:

- Jacoby Jones had a few nice catches and showed off his hands on a couple of occasions. One of the catches of the afternoon came on a fade route in the corner of the end zone from Flacco. Jones beat cornerback Jimmy Smithon the play, and then kept his two feet in bounds as he hauled in the touchdown snag.

- Fullback Kyle Juszczyk is coming along as a blocker. The rookie opened a big hole for running back Bernard Pierce on a counter play, and overall he seems to be making the adjustment to the full-go practices.

- Visanthe Shiancoe worked with Flacco one-on-one after practice. The veteran tight end is still learning the offense and getting plugged into the system. He spent most of practice watching from the sidelines, but did have a drop when he got into seven-on-seven drills. With Shiancoe still getting adjusted, veteran Billy Bajema has been running with Ed Dickson and the first-team offense.

- Dickson said that he needs to step up for the offense Sunday, and he did that with a nice leaping catch over the middle of the field. Dickson showed off his athleticism by leaping over linebacker Josh Bynes and then had great concentration to pull in the tough catch.

- Fullback Kyle Juszczyk is coming along as a blocker. The rookie opened a big hole for running back Bernard Pierce on a counter play, and overall he seems to be making the adjustment to the full-go practices.

Thats all fine and dandy with a head of steam..But in goal line situations, he was getting blown up

Thats all fine and dandy with a head of steam..But in goal line situations, he was getting blown up

Crave, let's give the rook some time to learn the techniques,looking at the kid he looks the part of a bruising FB, WHEN he gets his intensity up and gets the technique down he'll be good, Juice in the passing game is where he'll do his damage this year.

Give the Polak a break crav....he'll develop into an offensive weapon...give him time.

But there could still be a valuable role for Juszczyk as a halfback/tight end. He excelled in that role in college, often splitting out wide catching passes over the middle or in the flat.

“The thing about Kyle is he’s very, very versatile,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “He plays the fullback, but he plays I would say more the H-back-type tight end role. So, he’s your move guy.”

Juszczyk led the Ivy League with eight touchdown receptions and led Harvard with 52 catches for 706 yards in 2012. For his career, he set the mark for all Harvard tight ends with 125 catches (6th all-time) for 1,576 yards (7th all-time) and 22 touchdowns (3rd all-time).

He’s a natural pass catcher and is known for having reliable hands.

“I’d probably say those are my biggest strengths, just because that’s what I excelled at most when I was in college,” Juszczyk said. “I’m familiar with that, so yeah I do think that’s an area where I could help.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Could-Rookie-Kyle-Juszczyk-Help-Replace-Dennis-Pitta/31517330-2c18-48cf-8a85-e3bfe398392e

Edited by vmax

I'm reminded of a long ago story told by Art Donovan.

When the Colts drafted Jim Parker, the future Hall of Fame offensive lineman, he came to camp as a much ballyhooed rookie.

The first day of practice, Ewbank told Marchetti to teach Paker some things.

During the drills Marchetti went up, over, around and through Parker leaving Parker to just get bewildered.

Donovan, who was watching this show, was asked by Parker "What do I do now??".

Artie replied, 'Hell, JIm, if I were you I'd applaud.'

The point being is that its early in camp and Juice is a rook. He's going to need some learning time.