ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

stealers vs Pats

tomcat21223

Have to go for the Pats, have to

I do want every possible wild card team to lose, but we still have a decent chance at first place, so go Pats

A bye would be ideal, but home field would work too.

Man oh man, that Raven/stealer game is going to huge

Go Pats (this Sunday)

I don't know tomcat...

...it might work out better if the Pats and Colts lose (though I don't see how the Colts can against the Browns, Bengals, Lions and Jacksonville). The Colts look like they will sew up one of the wild card spots....so pulling for a Pats loss helps the Ravens more as far as the remaining wild card spot.

A Steeler win doesn't hurt the Ravens because they have one more game to play against each other.

That way if the Ravens beat the Steelers by 4 or more points, they could win the division if they have the same winning record as the Steelers at the end of the season.

The Ravens can't rely on anybody else...they just have to take care of their own business....

cs_185.jpg

Edited by vmax

Guest BallTMore
That way if the Ravens beat the Steelers by 4 or more points, they could win the division if they have the same winning record as the Steelers at the end of the season.

That's what I thought, but I'm hearing the tiebreaker doesn't work that way. Maybe I'm just confused.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Yeah, the only possible way we win a tie with the Steelers is if they lose to both us and the Browns, unless something crazy happens in the strength of victory tiebreaker. If they beat the Browns, then one of the following occurs:

Pitt beats NE: Pitt at worst ties tiebreaker on AFC record (worst they could finish after beating Cleveland and NE is 9-3, best we could finish is 9-3, and Pitt would likely claim the strength of victory tiebreaker by virtue of the fact that one of their victories would be against NE, while one of hours would be against Oakland (most other records are pretty much the same.)

Pitt loses to NE: Pitt wins on common games tiebreaker (say both teams finish 11-5: The Ravens will be 2-0 in uncommon games (Oakland and Miami) and therefore 9-5 in common games. The Steelers will be 1-1 in uncommon games (San Diego and NE) and therefore 10-4 in common games)

Realistically, I think its going to be tough sledding for the division, so I think our best bet is to hope NE loses (since we hold the tiebreaker over them (they are currently 5-4 in conference, we're 6-3, so a loss to Pitt will put us a game up and 2 up in the tiebreaker, provided we beat Cincy) and hope that by some chance Dallas and Tennessee can beat Pitt)

We beat the Iggles, Pittsburp lost to the Iggles.

Im rooting for the Stealers Sunday, NE is hot on our tails for the last wild-card spot, let Pittsville beat them, and then we take care of Pittsville in 2 weeks.

Im rooting for the Stealers Sunday, NE is hot on our tails for the last wild-card spot, let Pittsville beat them, and then we take care of Pittsville in 2 weeks.

I understand much better how the wild card tie breaker now

But, we have have an easier schedule with more home games than the stealers

I think the AFCN title is a realistic obtainable goal at this point

So, go Pats

And go Browns this weekend

Right, but with the way the schedules work out, every team in a division has 12 common games, 2 games against each other, and 2 uncommon games. In order for this tiebreaker to be relevant, the 2 games against each other must be split, so each team has a 1-1 record in these. Our common games with Pittsburgh are:

Cincinnati (2) B 1-0, P 2-0

Cleveland (2) B 2-0, P 1-0

The AFC South teams (Houston, Indy, Tennessee, Jacksonville) B 1-2, P 2-1 (Jacksonville, Tennessee)

The NFC East teams (Washington, Dallas, NY, Philly) B 1-1 P 1-2 (Washington & Dallas, Dallas)

Total: B 5-3, 4 games left, P 6-3, 3 games left

Our uncommon games are these:

Baltimore: Miami, Oakland

Pittsburgh: San Diego, New England

Now, we are 2-0 in those uncommon games. If Pittsburgh loses to NE, they will be 1-1. This means that combined with the 1-1 split from each other, we'd be at 3-1 and Pittsburgh would be 2-2. That means that, if there were a tie, Pittsburgh would have to have 1 more win in those 12 common games, meaning that they would win that tiebreaker. At this point, it is mathematically impossible for us to win the common games tiebreaker, we could only tie is Pitt beats NE. The fact is, we will almost certainly need to make up TWO games on Pittsburgh in order to win the division.

Strength of Victory current status: Pittsburgh 37-48-3, Baltimore 27-48-2. Though the caveat is this could change wildly from week to week.