ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens drawing criticism for “pushing” Obamacare

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/23/ravens-drawing-criticism-for-pushing-obamacare/

In early September, reports emerged that the Ravens had entered into a partnership with the Maryland Health Connection to encourage participation by Maryland residents in the new federal healthcare law which has become known as Obamacare.

At the time, the Maryland Health Department told The Hill that “[t]he partnership will provide Maryland Health Connection with the opportunity to reach and engage fans while making them aware of the new opportunity they have for health coverage beginning this fall through the health insurance marketplace.”

On Tuesday, JudicialWatch.org reported that the Ravens will receive $130,000 for a multi-platform advertising arrangement on the team’s television and radio broadcasts, its official website, its newsletter, and in social media. (The link landed on DrudgeReport.com, drawing plenty of attention to the situation.)

The Ravens are being criticized in some circles for “pushing” Obamacare. The Ravens have explained the situation by forwarding to PFT the statement that originally was issued several weeks ago, when the issue first arose.

“We have a sponsorship/advertising agreement with the Maryland Health Connection, a Maryland state agency charged with creating a health insurance marketplace in Maryland,” the statement from the Ravens reads. ”Under its agreement with the Ravens, Maryland Health Connection will have radio ads during our game broadcasts and other Ravens-related radio and television shows, plus have exposure on Raven digital media properties and some stadium signage for two games. The advertising package with the Maryland Heath Connection is comparable to many other sponsorship agreements the Ravens have sold, including ones with the Maryland Lottery and the Maryland National Guard, as well as corporations like Giant Foods and Verizon.”

And that’s the point that shouldn’t be overlooked here. It’s an advertising deal struck by a for-profit entity that has the ability to project a message to a lot of people. The powers-that-be in Maryland want citizens to be aware of the new healthcare law and, ultimately, their options and rights under it.

Regardless of what anyone thinks or believes or fears about Obamacare, the Ravens are simply doing what professional sports teams do: Collecting money for sharing a slice of the high profile that professional sports teams enjoy.

Of course, the fact that the Ravens agreed to sell ads for a program like Obamacare invites criticism from those who oppose Obamacare. And the Ravens could have declined the opportunity. But in capitalistic society, how can anyone fault the Ravens for capitalizing on the ability to pocket $130,000 in advertising dollars that otherwise would have been used elsewhere?

I posted this elsewhere.

The reason why is sports fans are suckers and will forget soon enough. so if someone is willing to give up their seats there is a line to get them. Ravens gear always sells out. I have seen it so many times when peopple are looking for something they saw and when they hit the store they are told that is all sold out. So a few less people buying whatever will allow those who are late to take their place.
Ultimately Ken you and other very conservative people are the minority. By and large most people sit in the middle. Also this is MD we are talking about which is what 3-1 Dems to GOP? They are fine with losing a few for $130k. They know you will be back.

So how do you think teams get money for stadium improvements or the land to build a practice facility? You have to work with the gov. So when they came in and say we want to pay for some advertising you say yes to keep a good relationship going. There is no lose in this. You make the powers in Annapolis happy and you get paid to do it. Like I said there is politics all through sports.

I posted this elsewhere.

That stuff may work with people with no purpose, but not all fans are that weak.....The problem is very plain, when you don't have enough of what you like, you cherish the times you do, but when you have it all the time, it becomes mundane and starts to be ignored....That's where this thing is headed in my opinion.....It may take quite a while, but as with Boxing and MMA, you can see the drop off.....

It's a free check so why not? People are always going to go to Ravens games and buy team gear. While the average fan might get priced out in the mid-Atlantic there are plenty of well-off people to fill the stadium. And while stadium revenue is significant, these lucrative, long-term TV contracts are what keep owners' pockets deep.

As far as playing nice in Annapolis, it's a balance. While the team is locked in a lease absolutely they have to play nice. As that lease is coming up (2023 I think?) the team has the state by the balls. There's a good chance the Redskins are going to leave for DC within the next twenty years, so I'd expect M&T Bank stadium is in line for a major renovation in 2023-25 on the state's tab to keep the Ravens locked up for a long time.

And all thanks to Roger Gambino and his insatiable greed.....

He has been put on point by the owners to go get the cash.

It's a free check so why not? People are always going to go to Ravens games and buy team gear. While the average fan might get priced out in the mid-Atlantic there are plenty of well-off people to fill the stadium. And while stadium revenue is significant, these lucrative, long-term TV contracts are what keep owners' pockets deep.

As far as playing nice in Annapolis, it's a balance. While the team is locked in a lease absolutely they have to play nice. As that lease is coming up (2023 I think?) the team has the state by the balls. There's a good chance the Redskins are going to leave for DC within the next twenty years, so I'd expect M&T Bank stadium is in line for a major renovation in 2023-25 on the state's tab to keep the Ravens locked up for a long time.

Agreed.

Football and politics shouldn't mix imo. I'm sure the steelers are baking the obamacare as well since the rooneys and Obama are close. I'm not throwing my feelings of the whole thing out there as I don't talk politics or religion on message boards.

The Maryland Lottery has a Ravens scratch-off. Owned by the state to fill its coffers. Where do you draw the line? At the same time, if they don't accept the ad campaign for this, why are they allowed to pick and choose? I suppose you could say that they are a privately-held company, but they make a lot of money with help from the state, so again, where do you draw the line?