ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Most deserving L in Ravens history

Guest BallTMore

I am just curious... just like with the Terps against Duke sometimes...

We know both teams commit fouls. We know both teams commit fouls regularly. It happens in every game, every week in the NFL.

So how is it that the Ravens end up with 11 for 100+ and the Steelers end up with 4 for 20. Hell, take out the 2 obvious PF penalties and its still 9 for 80 to 4 for 20.

Because it was in Pittsburgh and it was the Stealers.

They get the breaks just like Brady and the Pats.

Nevertheless....the Ravens penalties were obvious. They did commit them.

Hell the officials even gave us one on the Mason fumble(premature whistle)..

I disagreed with Fouts. That was incomplete and not a fumble. He never established possession.

Really, the Ravens got away with one a few weeks ago... I forget who it was against, but when Landry or someone laid a guy out in the flat less than 1/2 a second after he caught it.

From Schmuck...

The game ended when Tom Zibkowski intercepted Ben Roethlisberger and returned the ball to a place where the Ravens would have had a great opportunity to score, but the officials called Frank Walker for illegal contact even though Big Ben had scrambled out of the hold of Trevor Pryce and appeared to be out of the pocket.

You could lip read John Harbaugh, who was yelling at the officials to "read the rules,'' but that was that. The Steelers were able to kneel it out at that point.

If that was all that happened, maybe you could pin this one on the officials, but the Ravens ran up triple digits in penalty yards and most of the time, the replays confirmed the penalties, which confirmed that the Ravens remain a very undisciplined team.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/

The Sun guys sound like us...

How our reporters and editors saw today's game:

Mike Preston: The best team lost today. The Ravens self-destructed.

Jamison Hensley: Steelers didn't beat the Ravens. The Ravens hurt themselves the most with penalties, dropped passes and poor blocking.

Ken Murray: Blown chances and a brutal mismatch between right tackle Oniel Cousins and Steelers' linebacker LeMarr Woodley cost the Ravens a chance to sweep Pittsburgh. The Ravens were able to take Ben Roethlisberger out of his game, but the Steelers made plays when they had to.

Edward Lee: Can't blame the defense for this loss. Giving up just 23 points to the Steelers should be a win, but the offense couldn't avoid penalties or its own miscues to give the defense some assistance.

Kevin Van Valkenburg: For the first time in a long time, I'll keep it short. This team does not deserve to make the playoffs, and 100 yards of penalties proves that, referee conspiracies or not. Zero mental discipline.

Ron Fritz: When the Ravens look back on this season, playoffs or no playoffs, John Harbaugh is going to have to figure out how to cut down the stupid penalties. It might mean new players because the same ones are making the errors over and over. It's just sad that the Ravens gave the Steelers life today.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2009/12/instant_analysis_from_ravens_2320_loss_to_steelers.html

Edward Lee: Can't blame the defense for this loss. Giving up just 23 points to the Steelers should be a win, but the offense couldn't avoid penalties or its own miscues to give the defense some assistance.

Edward Lee is a moron. 23 points is not much? It's enough. Especially against a 'defensive' team like the Steelers.

I mean, 23 allowed makes the game winnable... but I never go into Pitt thinking that if they score 23, we're set.

The 2 key plays were Suggs negating a TD on the Foxworth INT return for a TD and Mason's TD drop.

They should have won by 7-11 bpoints.

And then add Rice fumble, Cousins penalties, KWs penalty on Mcgahees TD, and the refs finale against Walker. And they should have won by at least 21 points.

Aaron Wilson says on his twitter that Harbaugh was as angry and fired up as he's ever seen him in the postgame. Let's see what he's fired up about - the lack of discipline, the officials, or that anyone is questioning his "mighty men" of whom he is so proud.

GOOD!

He looked livid as he raced off the field.

KICK SOME ASS JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edward Lee is a moron. 23 points is not much? It's enough. Especially against a 'defensive' team like the Steelers.

I mean, 23 allowed makes the game winnable... but I never go into Pitt thinking that if they score 23, we're set.

That defense is terrible, DL over the hill, secondary sucks and all what they have is some decent passrush against Cousins and assistance from refs. If we somehow blow it against Raiders or not, I just hope Phins beat that team.

I don't think the D is horrible.

Meanwhile... Harbaugh should be fired up. But I think he is wrong about the Walker penalty. Roethlisberger didn't roll out of the pocket right away on that play (if I remember correctly). He rolled out after some pressure got to him. The holding was called almost immediately upon the play starting.

Now, the penalty was questionable to begin with... but I don't think on those grounds.

Bottom line - there's plenty to be angry about, and Harbaugh should be angry. But he should realize that there's plenty of anger coming his direction because he hardly has this team in good position.

The defense played a great game for the makeshift secondary that was in place. Foxworth really stepped up. Yes, he wiffed on Holmes on that one screen, but he did a great job sticking to Holmes for the most part. The defense had a consistent pass rush up front and shut down the run completely. That 94-yard drive before the end of the half was inexcusable though.

The D front 7 stopped the run cold and had 4 sacks, 5 hits, and good pressure on RTHSLXSSBRRGRRRR.

Turnovers, poor Special Teams play hurt them some.

Ray get's that fumble...big play by the D...great field position for the O...and yes...Ray Rice's fumble did hurt. Anothyer momentum shift.

I admit it.

And how the hell is it that we can get defensive holding 3-6 times a game... but I remember only an handful against our opponents all season long. Are our receivers just that bad about creating the contact?? Our our defenders that stupid?? Both?? Do the officials really have it in for us??

At times I think its a combo of all three.

According to Tom Matte, the officials often review game films just like the players and coaches do and if a player has some games where he has been called for contact or interference the refs look for it and naturally may see more. I am not sure if thats true, and if so it isnt right (all players should be evaluated equally each game IMO), but thats what Matte says.

The Ravens stunk today. There was a period at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th where I said aloud 'this isnt even fun to watch'. There would be a good play, I'd get happy for a few seconds then the flags would be noticed. Very frustrating.

I think Tomlin consistently makes goofy calls and Ben threw a very stupid pass (two if you count the one in the 1st half) but because of the penalty they didn't have to pay.

Why is it the steelers coaches and players meet during the game usually with film and go over what the opposing offense / defense is doing. When the camera is on the Ravens I don't notice much or any of that going on. And where is the disipline on the Ravens? I don't think there is any. I don't like Rex to much and he is a loose cannon but I think disipline would be something he would address. I havn't been impressed with our special teams play all year. Rossberg ex Brownie isn't the answer. And the group hasn't been very good for as long as hes been its coordinator. A change is needed. Billick lost control of this team before he lost his job. Harbaugh hasn't proven he can contol this team either and I have doubts that he ever will. Until we get better front office signings and good free agents they are in for more years ahead of the same caliber of play. While I am saddened and embarrased by todays debacle I'm certainly not suprised at all by this teams performance in fact I've come to expect it. Bright spot Ray Rice.

I don't think the D is horrible.

Meanwhile... Harbaugh should be fired up. But I think he is wrong about the Walker penalty. Roethlisberger didn't roll out of the pocket right away on that play (if I remember correctly). He rolled out after some pressure got to him. The holding was called almost immediately upon the play starting.

Now, the penalty was questionable to begin with... but I don't think on those grounds.

Bottom line - there's plenty to be angry about, and Harbaugh should be angry. But he should realize that there's plenty of anger coming his direction because he hardly has this team in good position.

Not our D.. that awful Steelers D: That defense is terrible, DL over the hill, secondary sucks and all what they have is some decent passrush against Cousins and assistance from refs