ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Are Ravens seeking new backup QB

papasmurfbell

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/ravens-talk/are-ravens-seeking-new-backup-qb

Before he signed with the Dallas Cowboys, the Ravens spoke with former Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden, The Baltimore Sun reported earlier this week.

The Browns took Weeden in the first round of the 2012 draft — it seems longer ago than that, doesn’t it? — a few regimes and coaches ago and made him their starter before he turned into a bust. Whether he actually would make a better backup to Joe Flacco than Tyrod Taylor, the Ravens’ interest shows they possibly want to upgrade.

They have been fortunate that Flacco has been durable, but should he go out, Taylor would represent a different kind of quarterback, a more mobile type that may be becoming in vogue around the league — Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson — but that doesn’t fit how the Ravens normally play.

ESPN.com’s Jamison Hensley evaluates the scenario this way: “Tyrod Taylor, the Ravens' backup for the past three seasons, can get the team through a game if Flacco got hurt. But if Flacco had to miss a significant amount of time, the Ravens' season would be over because Taylor isn't an accurate passer. … The Ravens shouldn't just bring in someone who will compete against Taylor this year. They should bring in someone who can actually win the job.”

Who might that be? One of the possibilities, Ryan Fitzpatrick, late of the Tennessee Titans, just signed with the Houston Texans. Another former Brown, Jason Campbell, has been added by the Cincinnati Bengals. Among the stay-in-the-pocket types, Rex Grossman, Shaun Hill and Matt Flynn are still out there.

This is Tyrod's last yr on his rookie contract, so yea Ozzie mentioned that and you can bet that he's looking for a Pistol type to help in preps for teams that run it.....That's all Ty was any good for, so he ain't gettin paid....fagettaboutit !!!!

I deinitely keep tyrod, he knows he's a backup, and if Joe takes cheap shots like he did last year, I'd not be worried with Taylor back there for a game or three.

Seriously !!...This Tyrod Taylor ???

Game stats
Passing stats...................Notice No TD's ......2 INT's

I'd like to see a new, pocket backup QB, who actually could win a game or two out of three. I don't think Tyrod can do it.

John Beck was a decent backup.

I can't remember his name (getting too old) but for one year a while back we had a very good veteran old quarterback as a #2 but he retired after one season with us.

What the hell was his name?? i think he played and played very well for St. Louis before their offensive line imploded.

We should draft the Alabama QB and make him into a backup. Trade him if his value goes up.

I'm just talking but really we need to carry 3QBs

Grossman has started experience. You might have additional guys cut after the draft if teams draft their replacement like what happend with Bulger.

Also I don't see Oz drafting anybody with a #1-3 because we have so many holes to fill.

@82... Bulger

BULGER! Yep, thanks. He is the ideal type of backup but they are few and far between.

Grossman has started experience. You might have additional guys cut after the draft if teams draft their replacement like what happend with Bulger.

Also I don't see Oz drafting anybody with a #1-3 because we have so many holes to fill.

No, no we don't want to use a draft pick. Grossman may be serviceable but I think waiting until after the draft is better.

A backup qb is just that a fucking back we shouldn't even know his name, we are totally fine with whatshisname

Crav, do you remember what happen to the Colts in ''78 when Jones went down and we didn't have a decent QB? And again in '79?

Crav, do you remember what happen to the Colts in ''78 when Jones went down and we didn't have a decent QB? And again in '79?

I don't know, if we know what kind of back-up Tyrod would be, as Crave is alluding to, when have we seen Tyrod, it's the same as what i hear about Asa, when have we seen the guy play, there is tangible talent that these two guys bring to the table that has yet been given the chance to shine, and yet the small sample that we have seen people are saying they are no good. We might have more talent on this team than we think, just let some of these guys get some playing time before we are so quick to label them a bust or we need to get rid of them.

I don't know, if we know what kind of back-up Tyrod would be, as Crave is alluding to, when have we seen Tyrod, it's the same as what i hear about Asa, when have we seen the guy play, there is tangible talent that these two guys bring to the table that has yet been given the chance to shine, and yet the small sample that we have seen people are saying they are no good. We might have more talent on this team than we think, just let some of these guys get some playing time before we are so quick to label them a bust or we need to get rid of them.

We've seen tyrod and I'm fine with him as our backup or even to start a game or two

No, no we don't want to use a draft pick. Grossman may be serviceable but I think waiting until after the draft is better.

A later draft pick to have a cheap guy as opposed to an expensive vet.

We should draft the Alabama QB and make him into a backup. Trade him if his value goes up.

I'm just talking but really we need to carry 3QBs

AJ is gioing to be gone by the 3rd round. I do not see the Ravens going that soon with a pick.

We've seen tyrod and I'm fine with him as our backup or even to start a game or two

This team is built around Joe's pocket style passing attack Crav, think about it, you put in a short scrambling qb behind a 6'6 pocket passer with recvrs that are running routes and timing patterns instead of everyone following Ty from one side the field to the other while he tries to find an open man and ends up running it himself most of the time.....We should have someone who can step into our system and be somewhat capable of running it.....If Joe had not had to play injured last yr, we could have made the playoffs for 6 straight, but they knew Ty could not do it....He's pre season and practice material IMO....

A later draft pick to have a cheap guy as opposed to an expensive vet.

AJ is gioing to be gone by the 3rd round. I do not see the Ravens going that soon with a pick.

if he's gone before the 3rd then we could look in another direction.