ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco update

vmax

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco’s statistics were nearly as ugly as the purple bruise decorating his hip.

The Ravens managed to win handily anyway.

Despite a painful right hip contusion that’s also affecting his quadriceps and hobbling his mobility, Flacco gutted it out to help lead his team to a 33-14 AFC wild-card victory Sunday over the New England Patriots on Sunday at Gillette Stadium.

It’s my quadriceps,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s just the fluid running down and doing that to me or what, but as the week went on it started to feel a little bit better.

“I have to make sure that I take the next couple of days to give it a little rest and then get ready for Indianapolis. I feel like I’ll be feeling great and moving 100 percent when we get there next week.”

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2010/01/11/sports/3_ravens_notebook.txt

Bottom line: this affects Joe's mobility and ability to square his hips open on his throws.

51558191.jpg

Guest BallTMore

Yeah, it was clear yesterday that he was hurt. Every pass he threw looked like a beach ball. He had no velocity on his passes.

Scared me to death when I saw him dropping back to pass.

Seemed like most of his bad passes were thrown out of bounds or overthrown. Another words if a Receiver didn't make the catch no one did. He played it safe. Hopefully he didn't reinjure himself this week and heals more over this week.

I'm going to go with what Harbs and Joe are saying...

What Joes done is hes done what he needs to do to win the football game. Hes very much healthy enough to play and to play well, Harbaugh said before adding a special request of the media. So, the more you guys want to make of the injury situation thats great. I mean, make it really dire. You know, hes really in bad shape.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/01/Will_the_Ravens_Pass_More_vs_Indy.aspx

It was a testament to his will that Flacco was able to handle himself adeptly against the Patriots.

I felt pretty good, actually, Flacco said. When we got out there and adrenaline got going, obviously a little stiff. But I felt like what is asked of a quarterback, I was able to do everything.

And he was adamant that hes capable of launching it 30 times if called upon.

Oh, definitely, without a doubt, Flacco said. I could drop back perfectly. I had to scramble a couple times and was able to do it. So, definitely, I couldve done that.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2010/01/12/sports/3_ravens_flacco.txt

The O line protected Joe in the last game vs the Colts...no sacks. They need to do that again.

The story of that game was the redzone...Colts scored 2 TD's... Ravens FG's

Edited by vmax

There is not doubt that Flacco is not the same guy we saw earlier this year. Either by being dinged up or losing some confidence, he is not throwing with the same authority.

I was encouraged by his downfield throw to D Will early in the second half of Pats game. It was a good throw and DWill has got to make that catch. Still, on another pass, he nearly threw a pick six that NEs CB (Springs ?) should have caught.

Whenever the season ends, we can all take solace that Flacco generally improved this year and with an offseason of rucuperation (and some weight traing) and a signficant WR pickup, he can make even greater strides in 2010.

With our running game and improved OL play (pass protection) and a legit big time WR (enjoyed by other elite teams), Flacco should take a bigger step in 2010.

There is not doubt that Flacco is not the same guy we saw earlier this year. Either by being dinged up or losing some confidence, he is not throwing with the same authority.

I was encouraged by his downfield throw to D Will early in the second half of Pats game. It was a good throw and DWill has got to make that catch. Still, on another pass, he nearly threw a pick six that NEs CB (Springs ?) should have caught.

Whenever the season ends, we can all take solace that Flacco generally improved this year and with an offseason of rucuperation (and some weight traing) and a signficant WR pickup, he can make even greater strides in 2010.

With our running game and improved OL play (pass protection) and a legit big time WR (enjoyed by other elite teams), Flacco should take a bigger step in 2010.

If Joe doesnt have an injury that affected his play Sunday then he played a bad game. I think he is injured and I hope he is somewhat better this week because I think we'll need hm to be.

DWill has to make that catch? Why? It was only a very important part of the game and the ball hit both of his hands.....How he is still on the team is a sign of how poor our receivers have been.

I would love to see Joe with a number of legitimate targets to throw to. Analysts always praise Ben RothlINTSberger (and he is good) but he had a great situation to step into. Plaxico and Ward get open then fight for the ball. Even now Ben still has a good group of receivers. Who knows, maybe not having them at the beginning of his career will make Joe better later on, provided of course that the Ravens ever get more than one good receivers at the same time. I have my doubts.