ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

OTA Update

vmax

:gorave:

•How much progress is linebacker C.J. Mosley making? The Ravens' rookie first-round pick was running with the first team on Thursday. Mosley, the 17th overall pick, has been considered the favorite to start alongside Daryl Smith at inside linebacker. The Ravens have been praising Mosley's ability to pick up the system quickly. Arthur Brown was moved to second team, but he was still making plays on the field. It's a position of strength.
•Running back Ray Rice is much lighter on his feet, the result of not carrying as much weight. There were a couple of times when he showed off elusiveness in between the tackles. It was a rare sight to see Rice fake out tacklers in the open field last year.
•Justin Tucker is already in regular-season form. He hit a 64-yard field goal early in practice and then nailed a 57-yarder toward the end of it. This isn't surprising when you consider Tucker is 10-of-11 for his career beyond 50 yards, a spectacular 90.9 percent.
•It was a tough minicamp for wide receiver Marlon Brown, who was turning heads last year at this time as an undrafted rookie. He dropped too many passes throughout the week and some were uncontested. Beyond Steve Smith and Torrey Smith, the most impressive wide receivers on Thursday were Jacoby Jones and undrafted rookie Jeremy Butler. The catch of the day was Torrey Smith pulling in a Joe Flacco pass with one hand in the end zone.
•There was a lot of attention placed on offensive tackle James Hurst after he was signed as an undrafted rookie. But Hurst has struggled at times, especially against speed rushers. It was no match when Elvis Dumervil lined up against him.
•The Ravens' secondary made some big plays. Still holding on to the starting job, safety Darian Stewart jumped in front of a Joe Flacco pass for an interception. Asa Jackson, who is competing for the No. 3 cornerback job, elevated across the middle to pick off Tyrod Taylor. http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/10751/thoughts-on-day-3-of-ravens-minicamp

Interesting notes on Marlon Brown. I don't put too much stock into OTAs, so maybe Marlon is trying to learn the playbook and taking his lumps now. Marlon is a bigger receiver, so Kubiak's West Coast concepts are a lot different than the Air Cottrell concepts we have had in our offense since Harbaugh has been here. Either way, I'm loving the competition we are having at multiple positions. I have heard good things about Jeremy Butler. He is a true possession receiver that is physical and is a big target. Cannot wait for training camp!

Overall I'm feeling good about the roster and this season. I know it's just OTA ' but from everything that I've read,heard and seen this team went full throttle and maxed out the 13 days. They are well into the playbook and in great shape to hit camp way ahead of the learning curve.

Overall I'm feeling good about the roster and this season. I know it's just OTA ' but from everything that I've read,heard and seen this team went full throttle and maxed out the 13 days. They are well into the playbook and in great shape to hit camp way ahead of the learning curve.

My biggest take away is hearing that most of the players came into these camps, in or near to, in shape. Past years players would use camp to get in shape. Seems, they are taking their careers more seriously, a good thing for the team.