ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens did everything right

vmax

4 turnovers.

6 dropped passes.

7 penalties...and these were the killers because they negated a ton of yardage. Parmele's great return would have yielded great field position and a momentum swing. Reeds INT same thing.

In a playoff game on the road?!

Forget it.

The good news is Manning has to retire sometime, right?

I'd compare it to Federer having to hope that Nadal gets knocked off by someone else to have a shot at winning a major these days.

The only thing in our favor, I guess, is that our team is quite young, and we'll have a few years post-Manning/Brady/Roethlisberger/Rivers where we can make a run. There's really no good up-and-coming QB as young as Flacco in the AFC, so there may be a gap of a few years in there. (Sanchez may be the closest.)

Yeah, none of that is exciting to me, either.

It was like our season with good a figth, some talent, penalties and coming up short, but at least not with a sensation that if or should or could or one or two plays were made. So yes they did something rigth! 32-33, with a FG in the last minute by Matt would not make me feel better.

It was like our season with good a figth, some talent, penalties and coming up short, but at least not with a sensation that if or should or could or one or two plays were made. So yes they did something rigth! 32-33, with a FG in the last minute by Matt would not make me feel better.

I talked about this earlier. A close loss would've made me feel sicker in the short term, because it wasn't drug out over a 60 minute game, but in the end I'd rather lose a close game because I could have a hopeful offseason. This way, I have no faith in our coaching staff, our 'franchise' QB, or our ability to fill our biggest needs (how are your two biggest needs the same two offseasons in a row? [WR/CB] Especially with the much-praised draft-team that we have?)

I talked about this earlier. A close loss would've made me feel sicker in the short term, because it wasn't drug out over a 60 minute game, but in the end I'd rather lose a close game because I could have a hopeful offseason. This way, I have no faith in our coaching staff, our 'franchise' QB, or our ability to fill our biggest needs (how are your two biggest needs the same two offseasons in a row? [WR/CB] Especially with the much-praised draft-team that we have?)

Yeah and QB, how long time took that, but every team have their needs.

Clots have some, Steelers OL since Faneca they have not been the same and they have hardly made some efforts to upgrade, they have suspect DBs and their DL.. five men at + 30, Cincy is beginning to have a offensive problem.. 85 is a FA btw, and Browns.. And Cards have some great DBs, and Dansby and Docket (spell), and giving up + 40 points.

I think all a close loss does is mask deficiencies and make fans depresssed. I'm with geo, it's so much easier to take an ass whuppin - you can say the Colts were the better team and feel good that your team made it as far as they realistically could.

I think all a close loss does is mask deficiencies and make fans depresssed. I'm with geo, it's so much easier to take an ass whuppin - you can say the Colts were the better team and feel good that your team made it as far as they realistically could.

Yeah, short-term, but long-term you want to know that your team can at least compete in big playoff games with elite teams. You think Eagles and Patriots fans just shrugged off their blowout losses? Or Cardinals fans? I'd rather lose a close game, as long as it wasn't a controversial ending (Packers).

Yeah, short-term, but long-term you want to know that your team can at least compete in big playoff games with elite teams. You think Eagles and Patriots fans just shrugged off their blowout losses? Or Cardinals fans? I'd rather lose a close game, as long as it wasn't a controversial ending (Packers).

Of course I want the Ravens to be able to compete with the big boys, but they aren't there yet. My point is that a close loss might fool the decision makers into thinking we don't need to change much. Take last year for example - we made it to the AFC Championship game and we were in it until the end of the game. Apparently the Ravens FO thought they had made enough moves for the team to be able to compete with the top teams in the league. Harbaugh even said at the end of training camp that the Ravens were "the best team they could be." After going 9-7 in the regular season including 1-6 against teams that made the playoffs, I think it's fair to say they didn't accurately evaluate this team and make the necessary moves to make the Ravens able to compete with anyone. I think they thought we were closer being an elite team that we actually were because we were able to play the eventual SB champion Steelers so close.

After being so convincingly beat, you can be sure they will take a through look at all positions and work as hard as ever to make this an elite team that can compete with the elite teams (and their elite QBs).

Of course I want the Ravens to be able to compete with the big boys, but they aren't there yet. My point is that a close loss might fool the decision makers into thinking we don't need to change much. Take last year for example - we made it to the AFC Championship game and we were in it until the end of the game. Apparently the Ravens FO thought they had made enough moves for the team to be able to compete with the top teams in the league. Harbaugh even said at the end of training camp that the Ravens were "the best team they could be." After going 9-7 in the regular season including 1-6 against teams that made the playoffs, I think it's fair to say they didn't accurately evaluate this team and make the necessary moves to make the Ravens able to compete with anyone. I think they thought we were closer being an elite team that we actually were because we were able to play the eventual SB champion Steelers so close.

After being so convincingly beat, you can be sure they will take a through look at all positions and work as hard as ever to make this an elite team that can compete with the elite teams (and their elite QBs).

We have two major holes that cannot be masked two years in a row: pass offense and pass defense.

Our team cannot consistently complete with the elite teams until we have a pair of legit, stout, sound tackling/defending, reliable CBs and a trio of playmaking, game changing WRs who can get separation, YAC, and outcompete the defending secondary for the ball.

Until then, this team will remain in the 8, 9, 10 win program.

We have two major holes that cannot be masked two years in a row: pass offense and pass defense.

Our team cannot consistently complete with the elite teams until we have a pair of legit, stout, sound tackling/defending, reliable CBs and a trio of playmaking, game changing WRs who can get separation, YAC, and outcompete the defending secondary for the ball.

Until then, this team will remain in the 8, 9, 10 win program.

I agree, but the pass defense has to do more with the pass rush than what we have in the secondary. As we saw in the Pats game, if you have a pass rush then your secondary looks a lot better. Obviously we need some more secondary depth, but I think the easier way to improve the pass defense is by improving the pass rush. You can have the best secondary in the league, but if there is no pass rush, guys will get open (unless you are playing our receivers).