ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Running Game

dc.

I've heard it mentioned a few times... "we couldn't run last night."

In my mind, that's bull.

First half:

1st drive (only 1st quarter drive): 7 running plays for our most balanced attack and getting the field goal (87 yards). Not uncommon, though, the drive ends with this series: 1 rush for 2 yards, 2 incomplete passes.

2nd drive (2nd quarter): 2 rushes, 8 yards; 1 pass, incomplete.

3rd drive (2nd quarter): 1 rush, 4 yards; 2 passes, 1 for negative yards, 1 for a sack.

4th drive: (2nd quarter): 1 rush, 4 yards; 2 passes, both incomplete.

Pattern?

Three out of four of those end on a three-play series: run successfully, passx2 unsuccessfully.

3rd quarter, our two possession end run-pass-pass and run-pass-pass-pass (4th down attempt).

Game end we had 4.6 yards per carry and had done some decent damage on the ground. I think Cam bought into all the talk this week that Joe "would have to do more" to get a W. In fact, I wonder a good bit how our offensive attack would have looked if we ran on 2nd or 3rd down a few times after that first series!

• Upvote 1

I've heard it mentioned a few times... "we couldn't run last night."

In my mind, that's bull.

First half:

1st drive (only 1st quarter drive): 7 running plays for our most balanced attack and getting the field goal (87 yards). Not uncommon, though, the drive ends with this series: 1 rush for 2 yards, 2 incomplete passes.

2nd drive (2nd quarter): 2 rushes, 8 yards; 1 pass, incomplete.

3rd drive (2nd quarter): 1 rush, 4 yards; 2 passes, 1 for negative yards, 1 for a sack.

4th drive: (2nd quarter): 1 rush, 4 yards; 2 passes, both incomplete.

Pattern?

Three out of four of those end on a three-play series: run successfully, passx2 unsuccessfully.

3rd quarter, our two possession end run-pass-pass and run-pass-pass-pass (4th down attempt).

Game end we had 4.6 yards per carry and had done some decent damage on the ground. I think Cam bought into all the talk this week that Joe "would have to do more" to get a W. In fact, I wonder a good bit how our offensive attack would have looked if we ran on 2nd or 3rd down a few times after that first series!

I completely agree. Even if the run was not working on first down, we left it way too early. There were too many 3rd & 2/3's where last week we ran the ball and this week we passed it. I do not understand why we were so scared of the Colts defense.

Precisely.

Our team is not meant to play 'finesse' football. Their team is; their defense is. We played their game. We rarely played our game.

It's a fine line to walk and the outcome is never good if you lose.

If offenses do the same thing every week while:

Winning - You are playing to your strengths and enforcing your will on opponents

Losing - You're Matt Cavanaugh - predicatable, boring.

If an offense tries to switch it up in an effort to take advantage of each opponent's weaknesses while

Winning - You're Cam Cameron in the first three weeks of the season. You're the genius behind the 3-0 Ravens' new found juggernaut attack!

Losing - You're Cam Cameron during the ensuing 3-6 slide. Your offense has no identity.

I totally agree, OTR. It's an incredibly fine and hard line to walk.

Personally, even on these boards during the first three weeks of the season we were all wondering what our offense was doing. I at least didn't see any identity then. I saw points, but not identity.

I am just baffled by our so-called "gameplans" at times. There is no flow, no consistency, no speed, no pep, no nothing. When our offense sputters early, you know it's going to be bad all day. We don't seem to 'find our feet' along the way.

I just feel like we run the ball well... hell, we'll run for 8 yards on first down... and then throw two deep passes to go three and out. And I am baffled.

Personally, I don't think I'm asking too much. Why can't we ever throw it over the middle? I feel like every pass we throw is either completed inside of 5 yards or 25 yards downfield. Why can't we throw for 10-15 yards?

How is it the Colts can get a guy to 7 yards when they need 6 and 8 yards when they need 7... but we either throw for 4 or 50?

How come when our runner gets stuffed on 1st down, we pound him twice more and get a 1st down... but when our runner gets 8 on first down, we forget we have him?