ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco Mentor/Backup

varaven45

While we continue to discuss the merits of Joe's experience in the Pro Bowl, I am wondering more about another matter- his backup(s) and mentor.

Since it sounds like Troy Smith could move on, we might be left with John Beck as his backup.

I am wondering, with 1 potentially backup and no current mentor/coach (now that Hue is gone), might the team consider an experienced QB who could double as the mentor and backup.

The team is obviously looking at Zorn or Saunders as QB coach but how cool would it be to find a Trent Dilfer type (2010 version) to double as the backup and coach. The Cowboys have John Kitna, who will probably never sniff the field, but is a heckuva backup should Romo go down. Who do we have ?

Joe is young, spry and talented but has a penchant for getting banged up. Wouldnt a mentor/backup with more experience than Beck make sense ?

While we continue to discuss the merits of Joe's experience in the Pro Bowl, I am wondering more about another matter- his backup(s) and mentor.

Since it sounds like Troy Smith could move on, we might be left with John Beck as his backup.

I am wondering, with 1 potentially backup and no current mentor/coach (now that Hue is gone), might the team consider an experienced QB who could double as the mentor and backup.

The team is obviously looking at Zorn or Saunders as QB coach but how cool would it be to find a Trent Dilfer type (2010 version) to double as the backup and coach. The Cowboys have John Kitna, who will probably never sniff the field, but is a heckuva backup should Romo go down. Who do we have ?

Joe is young, spry and talented but has a penchant for getting banged up. Wouldnt a mentor/backup with more experience than Beck make sense ?

Good idea! Who's out there? Kitna was definitely instrumental in mentoring Carson. Joe could use such a mentor. Zorn was not much of a head coach, but he is a really good QB coach. He knows how to workout QBs. He is a stickler for footwork and flexibility for his QBs.

Good idea! Who's out there? Kitna was definitely instrumental in mentoring Carson. Joe could use such a mentor. Zorn was not much of a head coach, but he is a really good QB coach. He knows how to workout QBs. He is a stickler for footwork and flexibility for his QBs.

Thinking about Zorn as QB coach kinda makes me nervous. He was not successful with Campbell (yes I know he was HC not QBC).

Perhaps Zorn would be more effective as QB coach, in our system with Cam.

I have some questions on "mentoring"

Does it actually matter and help?

I think it's one too many voices in the QB's ear. You have the OC's and QB coaches guidance and direction daily. If you have a good QB coach then let him be the single point of accountability. Let him work in tandum with the OC for the desired results of the offense. Plus...Joe is going into his 3rd year with 2 trips to the playoffs...he's no rookie or raw talent.

Does a veteren back up QB matter as a mentor? How much do these guys want to mentor?

I think having a solid vet as a back up is helpfull because not too many QB's make it through a 16 game schedule. You need a very solid and capable #2 who can step in and help a team make the playoffs.

Can Troy Smith do that? I have my doubts....but with the solid O line and running game he might be able to help the team stay on a run until Joe got healthy. I also think he will remain a Raven because they will not get the compensation or value they feel is adequate on the market.

Here's Cam's take on Joe development although it does not mention mentoring...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/01/Cam_Convinced_Joe_Will_be_Elite.aspx

I think it's one too many voices in the QB's ear. You have the OC's and QB coaches guidance and direction daily. If you have a good QB coach then let him be the single point of accountability. Let him work in tandum with the OC for the desired results of the offense. Plus...Joe is going into his 3rd year with 2 trips to the playoffs...he's no rookie or raw talent.

Does a veteren back up QB matter as a mentor? How much do these guys want to mentor?

I think having a solid vet as a back up is helpfull because not too many QB's make it through a 16 game schedule. You need a very solid and capable #2 who can step in and help a team make the playoffs.

Can Troy Smith do that? I have my doubts....but with the solid O line and running game he might be able to help the team stay on a run until Joe got healthy. I also think he will remain a Raven because they will not get the compensation or value they feel is adequate on the market.

Here's Cam's take on Joe development although it does not mention mentoring...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/01/Cam_Convinced_Joe_Will_be_Elite.aspx

Max,

Thats the point. How comfortable are we with our current situation (even if Smith stays) ?

I wouldnt mind a Dilfer type (2010 version).

varav...this is how I see it. The amount of good QB's in the league is maybe the best it's been in 20 years. Until now, it's been a QB starved league for a long time which means the quality of back up QB's was even worse. Weak and disappointing. The back up QB's, in general, are guys who had a shot and failed. In general. They have flaws.

We see the Ravens D destroy back up QB's regularly....doesn't matter if they are a vet.

Think about the 'vet back up'...what does he know? If he was all together then he would be a starter somewhere. So what does he have to give as a mentor?

Any back up to Flacco that the Ravens can get will bring with him lesser skills and fatal flaws(given the available talent pool) so it's a 'no win' situation in my mind.

I'd rather go with Troy Smith, who's been in this offense for a while, than any career back up QB....and I don't think Smith can lead this team to the playoffs.

Just get a guy who is smart enough to not make the fatal turnovers, has some guts and character and can hand the ball off....maybe make a big play or 2...find that guy and the Ravens are fine at back up.

varav...this is how I see it. The amount of good QB's in the league is maybe the best it's been in 20 years. Until now, it's been a QB starved league for a long time which means the quality of back up QB's was even worse. Weak and disappointing. The back up QB's, in general, are guys who had a shot and failed. In general. They have flaws.

We see the Ravens D destroy back up QB's regularly....doesn't matter if they are a vet.

Think about the 'vet back up'...what does he know? If he was all together then he would be a starter somewhere. So what does he have to give as a mentor?

Any back up to Flacco that the Ravens can get will bring with him lesser skills and fatal flaws(given the available talent pool) so it's a 'no win' situation in my mind.

I'd rather go with Troy Smith, who's been in this offense for a while, than any career back up QB....and I don't think Smith can lead this team to the playoffs.

Just get a guy who is smart enough to not make the fatal turnovers, has some guts and character and can hand the ball off....maybe make a big play or 2...find that guy and the Ravens are fine at back up.

You make it sound so easy to be a backup quarterback. The truth is that a lot of backup QB's could be starters on other teams, which is why every year your Matt Moores and your Shaun Hills come out and surprise. Kerry Collins was a backup, and then took the Titans to the #1 seed in 2009 (we all know what happened thereafter.) You have guys like Jake Delhomme, Matt Schaub, Jeff Garcia, and even Kurt Warner who served as backups before coming out and having tremendous success. And I'm not even counting your young guys like Kolb, Leinart, Troy Smith, Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn, etc.

Not every veteran backup QB is a never-was, and even the ones who are bring with them certain knowledge that can help a young QB. A guy like Kerry Collins might be able to help Joe with one part of his game that he struggles at, like quick reads on slant routes. Just because that backup may not be an all-time great doesn't mean they aren't great at certain things.

Here is the difference between getting a mentor for Joe and for someone like Kyle Boller. Joe is already established NFL player, he has 37 games (!) under his belt. He knows how to play the game, no one anything tells him is going to "mess him up". He just needs someone who can keep his mind fresh and point out stuff that maybe a vet has seen through EXP. Zorn would be a great QB coach for Joe. Zorn was instrumental in Matt Hasselbeck's development, and while Jason Campbell was not a very good QB, he did get some good progress with him. Campbell's footwork and accuracy definitely improved, Zorn could not help that Campbell is just not a smart guy.

Mentoring is so overrated..What team has ever succeeded in mentoring? Maybe the 49ers with Montana and Young? And thats a stretch, Young was a 1st rd pick with a big head and jumped to the USFL for the money.

Joe Flacco has played in 5 playoff games and 1 AFC Championship game in 2 years..Joe needs no mentoring, he needs 2 dependable, get open WR's.

So what you're saying is that we need a WR-mentor.

Enough with this mentor thing! See: Mason.

Give me Chambers or 85 or TO, except for age its hard to see them as a mentor but they sure could be what we need and our opponents would hate.