ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Insider: John Harbaugh would accept Michigan job if offered

papasmurfbell

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Insider-John-Harbaugh-would-accept-Michigan-job-if-offered-10-2-4680

In a series of conversations in the past 24 hours, I have learned that Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh has made it known to the most prominent Michigan football boosters and administrators that he has sincere interest in making a move to the college ranks and that if there was a job opening at Michigan, he would accept the job if offered.

The money is soon to evaporate from college football, so I'm not sure why anyone would willingly leave the NFL's fat pockets for it.

I see it completely opposite, much more money will be poured into college football with the Big Five becoming autonomous and IMO eventually only sponsoring revenue sports (football, basketball, and baseball), with an even amount of women's sports to satisfy Title IX. Everything else becomes club sports. If that happens, the players will be paid and even more advertising and sponsorship opportunities are available for college athletics (if that's what you want to call it at that point). Given the NFL has limited spots available, I can guarantee you the player's union will do whatever they can to maintain some sort of amateur system so veterans are able to keep their jobs longer. The NFLPA is controlled by the current players, and those players look out for themselves. We saw this with the new rookie pay scale.This will be no different. The Big Five at that point, realizing a legitimate threat could arise from some sort of minor league system that offers to pay the players, will almost certainly cave to pay the players first. In short, I do not see money evaporating from college football anytime soon.

With that said, I could certainly see Harbaugh taking the job. He has won a Super Bowl, there is nothing left to accomplish at the NFL level in a sense. I'm sure there's part of him that would love the job given he grew up in Anne Arbor. Heck, Texas offered Nick Saban $100 million, including a $12-15 signing bonus. If these colleges can raise hundreds of millions of dollars from its boosters for major athletic facilities renovations, there is no reason Michigan can't raise $15 million and give that to Harbaugh in the form of a signing bonus and then give him $6-7M a year.

A Super Bowl coach won't go back to college at the height of his success unless he's the highest paid college coach in the nation. Money talks, and if Michigan offers Harbaugh ten years and the highest paid coach in the NCAA, I say there's no way he passes up that type of stability and money to go home. Harbaugh can deny his interest all he wants now, but if a hard contract comes on the table, different story.

My two cents at least.