ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Eugene Monroe Has Had Knee Surgery Today.....

rastaman831226

Here's Film Study's scouting report on Hurst thru the preseason. Will give you an idea:

SF

◾Hurst had extended play at LT beginning with the 2nd drive. He wasn’t perfect by any means, but I was impressed with his pass blocking, which is what you want from your LT in this league. He was less impressive as a run blocker, where he contributed a holding penalty that negated a first down (Q3, 9:42) and was shed by Morris on Wood’s run for no gain. Based on what we’ve seen to date, I think he would be the best option at LT should Monroe go down.

Hurst (+1): He had a solid game as a pass blocker, but below average run blocking as noted above.

Dal

Hurst (+1): He had a nice cut block on the safety Heath to lead Pierce’s 30-yard run left (Q3, 14:25). He went for the cut again on the next play, but whiffed on Wilson, who took down LT for no gain. Fortunately, he did not allow any pressure events as a pass blocker, which is what will determine his NFL fate.

Was

Hurst (+2/+4): He played well both as a run and pass blocker. He displayed the quickness and recognition skills to stay with a single rusher in space. Hurst entered in the 3rd quarter with the 2nd unit and played all 25 of the remaining meaningful snaps. I reviewed each of his plays only and scored him as 23 of 25 blocks with no negative events. He missed a cut block on Gettis (Q4, 15:00) and got caught in stunt traffic (Q4, 12:50) on Tyrod’s TD pass to Thompson. His blocking highlight came on Forsett’s 13-yard run left (Q4, 4:21) when he pushed LB Jackson well into the backfield, turned right to assist Jensen, then peeled off looking for another block in level 2. Many memorable combination blocks involve pinning and turning to clear both sides of a hole. Hurst was hungry to get 3 blocks on this one. I don’t see any reason the Ravens would cut James after this game and Reid’s health isn’t a factor.

NO (Full OL scoring done due to the interesting camp battles)

Hurst (+1/+5): Scoring: 76 plays, 68 blocks, 5 missed, 1.5 pressures, 1 QH, 62 points (.82 points/play), B. Hurst had a much better game as a run blocker, but took a step back in pass protection, literally. The QH he surrendered to Edebali (Q4, 14:30) included too much ground surrendered before contact. I also scored him for parts of 2 pressures which were his first 3 pressure events since the first week and the QH was the first knock down allowed this preseason. As a run blocker, he misses some cut blocks, but often that is all he is afforded in terms of opportunity when the zone blocking is to the right. He’s had a fine preseason and will make the team as the backup LT.

• Upvote 2

I actually feel less concerned with Hurst starting at LT than any of the changes that went on last season. In fact I feel better with Hurst coming in the rest of the guys switching positions to mask the problem. If the other 4 stay the same then there are things you can do to give Hurst some help. Once we start shifting the other guys about we lose that cohesion that we seem to have in our O-Line play at the moment.