ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Sources: Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB?

SpearSrai

With LaDainian Tomlinson's career in San Diego declared all but over and Darren Sproles facing free agency, the Chargers are exploring possible trade scenarios that include dealing cornerback Antonio Cromartie to acquire a running back, according to league sources.

Cromartie is a four-year starter, a former first-round draft pick and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2007 when he intercepted 10 passes. Sources have said he has fallen out of favor with the Chargers, who also have a pair of corners in Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason that were first-round picks.

The Chargers' most pressing offseason need is in the offensive backfield. Tomlinson declared shortly after the season that he believed his nine-year career with the Chargers is finished. He expects to be released shortly. Sproles is a pending restricted free agent who would be due $7.3 million in 2010 if the Chargers tender him a contract, a 10 percent increase over his 2009 franchise-tag salary of $6.67 million. Sproles has said he intends to test the market but expressed a preference to remain in San Diego.

Among the teams that have running back depth are the Dallas Cowboys with Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice at the position. Several teams are looking for cornerback depth, including the Green Bay Packers, sources said.

The Chargers may be willing to trade Cromartie for a draft choice that could give them more flexibility to select at least one running back in this year's draft, sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4920302

ESPN Rumor has it Cromartie might be shipped out of SD and Chargers might entertain a swap for a RB.

Since Rice is our GUY and some feel that McGahee could be moved this offseason, would that be worth a swap ?

I'd rather keep McGahee and acquire Cromartie (the greedy guy that I am !) but wondered about others thoughts.

GO RAVENS !

ESPN Rumor has it Cromartie might be shipped out of SD and Chargers might entertain a swap for a RB.

Since Rice is our GUY and some feel that McGahee could be moved this offseason, would that be worth a swap ?

I'd rather keep McGahee and acquire Cromartie (the greedy guy that I am !) but wondered about others thoughts.

GO RAVENS !

see thread in NFL forum about chargers. Try not to laugh.

Force that was priceless. The only cornerback who can get away without tackling is deion and DRC is definitely not deion. Although his closing speed on Green was pretty impressive.

It's not DRC who is available, it's his Pro Bowler cousin, Antonio. aka the most electrifying corner in the NFL a few years ago.

And he's a worse tackler than Foxworth. How's that for a combination?

I do not think it is ability that makes him a bad tackler, just his effort. He obviously has the tools to be an excellent tackler, the instincts are there are well. Maybe putting him in the Ravens defense will give him some attitude as Ray, the guys, and the rest of the coaches will definitely make him accountable for his play. Is it a risk? Yes. But I think it is a good one. As for Foxworth, his tackling got substantially better as the year went on.

I do not think it is ability that makes him a bad tackler, just his effort. He obviously has the tools to be an excellent tackler, the instincts are there are well. Maybe putting him in the Ravens defense will give him some attitude as Ray, the guys, and the rest of the coaches will definitely make him accountable for his play. Is it a risk? Yes. But I think it is a good one. As for Foxworth, his tackling got substantially better as the year went on.

I absolutely agree with your last comment, that Foxworth got better. He got a lot better, and I think most knew that would be the case when he displayed his commitment to get better when the season started.

Cromartie doesn't have, and has never displayed, that kind of attitude and willingness to perform, though.

Moreover, what makes anyone think that the Chargers would want McGahee? He's got an enormous contract, and he's only two years younger (with a similar running style) than the guy they're about to get rid of.

I absolutely agree with your last comment, that Foxworth got better. He got a lot better, and I think most knew that would be the case when he displayed his commitment to get better when the season started.

Cromartie doesn't have, and has never displayed, that kind of attitude and willingness to perform, though.

You are absolutely right about Cromartie's attitude and work ethic. Like I said, it would be a risk, but I think it would be justified. Look at Willis McGahee, Harbaugh turned him around. Willis was in excellent shape this season and a complete team player. Playing in a Ravens defense tends to motivate people.

You are absolutely right about Cromartie's attitude and work ethic. Like I said, it would be a risk, but I think it would be justified. Look at Willis McGahee, Harbaugh turned him around. Willis was in excellent shape this season and a complete team player. Playing in a Ravens defense tends to motivate people.

This is dead-on... playing for a top-notch organization motivates even the laziest players. It sets a standard to live up to. Guys play their heads off for us, and then they leave via FA and turn into ordinary players again when they're surrounded by normal guys without that "team defense" mentality.

Make no mistake; Cromartie is a superstar corner who is probably WAY out of our range. If we landed him somehow, that would be HUGE news. I'd think it would take something like a 1st or 2nd rounder, or a 2nd-3rd and a player.