ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A look at Ravens' options at wide receiver

cravnravn

I don't think anyone views Walter as a #2 receiver, to be perfectly honest.

And it's not that they're afraid to spend so much money in regards to Marshall. They're (reportedly, anyway) afraid of what will happen to him once he comes into that money. He's never had a big time contract, and we all know what a head case he is.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone views Walter as a #2 receiver, to be perfectly honest.

And it's not that they're afraid to spend so much money in regards to Marshall. They're (reportedly, anyway) afraid of what will happen to him once he comes into that money. He's never had a big time contract, and we all know what a head case he is.

What is Walter viewed as then? He has been a solid #2 receiver the past three seasons. He has averaged roughly 59 catches for 770 yards and 5 TDs over the last three seasons. That is very #2-like numbers. Do you see him as having #1 potential or as a solid #3 receiver? Whatever it is, he is a better player than Burleson and is going to cost more.

I understand the risk with Marshall, but risks are neccessary sometimes. The way I see it is 80% effort from Brandon Marshall is still a top 10 receiver in this league. We have had a good track record of getting the best out of our players, I would take the risk. Harbaugh whipped McGahee into shape awfully quickly, he'd do the same with Marshall.

Free agency isn't the end-all, Crav. I wouldn't be surprised at all if nothing of major importance really happened at the castle today, or all weekend, for that matter.

You know Ozzie likes the draft. You know they won't overpay for anyone (otherwise, Marshall would already be here). You just have to wait until training camp to get the full view of what they want to do for 2010.

Just enjoy it. :)

True, its like Ozzie always gives him self, at least 24 hours to see the insanity of teams like Skins and Raiders.

By the way, let's not forget about Antonio Bryant.

I like Bryant's talent a lot, but if we are not going to give a contract to Marshall because we are unsure how he will react after getting paid, why the heck would we give a long-term deal to Bryant? Talk about a guy who likes to run his mouth to the coaches and not give full effort...

I like Bryant's talent a lot, but if we are not going to give a contract to Marshall because we are unsure how he will react after getting paid, why the heck would we give a long-term deal to Bryant? Talk about a guy who likes to run his mouth to the coaches and not give full effort...

Marshall will get a top dollar contract, and Bryant won't. I think that's the difference.

Marshall will get a top dollar contract, and Bryant won't. I think that's the difference.

I realize that, but this goes back to my last point: with the outragous contract Burleson got, you might as well go all in if you are going to spend money on a receiver. Bryant is a good talent, assuming he can get back to his 2008 numbers. There is a risk right there, what Bryant are you going to get? Teams need receivers, and Bryant and Walter are going to be on the radar of the Seahawks, Bengals, Texans, and Dolphins. Bryant is going to get at least what Burleson got. With Marshall you know he is going to get you 100 catches and 8+ TDs. Look at it this way, if we get Marshall it is a lot like the Eagles getting TO back in 2004. You know the guy is a nutcase and will screw you at some point, but if you know he is going to give you a great chance of putting you in the Super Bowl the next year, you take him. I'll one or two years of elite production from Marshall even knowing he is going to screw up somewhere down the line if it gets me to the Super Bowl in one of those two years. Obviously a lot of people would disagree with that, but that is just how I feel.

I think the Burleson contract even further puts Marshall and Co. out of reach.

Thats why we shouldn't have waited, we always do that shit..The market is set too high now for Boldins contract....Iggles way overpaid for a RB, thats setting us up for McClain to be gone.

Edited by cravnravn

I think the Burleson contract even further puts Marshall and Co. out of reach.

Maybe they simply can't afford him.

That is possible, but with this being an uncapped year and Bisciotti in his end-of-the-season press conference saying he would spend whatever it takes to win, I would hope this wouldn't be the case. In my opinion, paying a guy like Bryant to a Burleson-deal (or more) is a bigger risk than paying top dollar for Marshall for the simple fact that Bryant's production is inconsistent. Heck, would you give Walter that type of deal to be a #2 receiver? Seems like a little much to me when you don't have a #1 on your roster. If we want to win, we simply have to pony up. There should be no excuses. We gave $65 million so Suggs can get us 4 sacks, why not give Marshall top dollar to get us 100 catches?

Life goes on, but I don't know what to get excited about next year...I guess since Boldin and Walter are still out there we can keep some faith...next year will be a nail biter if we don't sign some proven talent.

SI is speculating that we made an offer for Walter, we are competing against Cincy, KC, and Houston for Walter. FoxSports mentioned we are in the mix for Bryant as well. Ozzie is certainly trying to get a receiver.

1:39 p.m. -- Ravens focused on Walter, not Boldin

Though it's not known whether contract talks are anywhere near the final stages, the Ravens are believed to be focused on Houston receiver Kevin Walter as Friday's first full day of free agency continues to unfold.

The Ravens are one of the teams most in need of a receiver in free agency or the draft, and sources said they've been targeting Walter, the Texans' No. 2 receiver behind All-Pro Andre Johnson, in recent weeks and doing extensive film study on him. Baltimore has been quiet so far in the opening hours of free agency, but there is increasing speculation within the league that general manager Ozzie Newsome has made an early offer to Walter.

It's also believed the Ravens would rather sign Walter for somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million a year, than give up a third-round draft pick to Arizona for 29-year-old receiver Anquan Boldin, who they would then have to pay in the range of $8 million a year. Boldin has been nagged by injury the past three years, and hasn't played a complete season for the Cardinals since 2006.

The Ravens think the 6-foot-3 Walter will fit nicely as their No. 2 receiver, and with his height, speed and skill set, he blends well with the recently signed Donte Stallworth -- who's more of a vertical, downfield threat. Terrell Owens remains a fallback option for Baltimore, but not a particularly appealing one.

--Don Banks

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/05/free.agency.tracker/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0hKmMJAO0

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Ravens consider WR Bryant — 1:13 p.m.

The Baltimore Ravens are in the mix to sign veteran WR Antonio Bryant, a league source told FOXSports.com.

Baltimore is one of a bunch of teams vying for the services of the talent wideout.

Bryant, who turns 29 this coming Tuesday, is coming off an injury plagued season which limited him to just 39 catches. However, when healthy, Bryant is a physical mismatch for defensive backs.

Bryant runs well for his size (6-1, 210) as shown by his career 15.1 yards per catch average.

— Alex Marvez and Adam Caplan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-free-agency-buzz-blog-030510

Bryant is going to do jack...he isn't proven...he's had ONE good season...next

Bryant has had an up-and-down career, but the talent is certainly there and he is a legitimate downfield threat (15.3 YPC on his career). In 2002 he had 44 receptions for 733 yards and 6 TDs, 2004 he had 58 receptions for 812 yards and 4 TDs, in 2005 he had 69 receptions for 1,009 yards and 4 TD, and in 2008 he had 83 receptions for 1,248 yards and 7 TD. This season he had 39 receptions for 600 yards and 4 TDs in an injury pleagued 13 games (still more than Mark Clayton in 14 games). The problem with Bryant is that he has never had any type of stability in his career (partially his fault), nor has he ever been paired with a legit starting QB. He would be a great match for us I believe, but I am hesistent to give him a long-term deal because of his attitude and inconsistency. But the potential is great with Bryant. Here is what Scouts, Inc. said about Bryant going into this past season:

Bryant has spent time with four teams in his previous six seasons in the NFL, since being drafted in the second round of the 2002 draft. He has always been inconsistent, but has shown flashes of elite skills as a receiver. He has excellent size for the position and good straight-line speed. He is a good athlete with quick feet and agility that allows him to avoid the press at the line of scrimmage. He can explode off the line and break down the cushion of the cornerback. He shows a good burst as he comes out of his breaks to separate from defenders and has excellent body control and agility to adjust to off target throws. He is a natural hand-catcher who is finally showing concentration and competitiveness to the ball when in a crowd on a consistent basis. He is a bit of a strider who can add an extra burst to pull away from pursuit or to run under the deep ball. He is elusive in space, once he gets the ball in his hands and can be a threat to take it all the way on every catch. Bryant has always shown flashes of the skills to be a legitimate No. 1 receiver, but has had issues with immaturity and it appears that he has finally settled down.

I think him and Joe would be able to make some big plays.

The New England Patriots have emerged as the frontrunner to land Arizona Cardinals star wide receiver Anquan Boldin via a trade, according to league sources.

The Baltimore Ravens have been heavily pursuing Boldin, but the Patriots lead for Boldin's services at this point.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Patriots-are-the-frontrunners-for-Boldin.html

I'm sure people will disagree but I'll take Moss off the Pats hands if they get Boldin lol.

Guest BallTMore

Ugh. I can not get excited for guys like Walter and Stallworth. Bryant? No thanks. Please get a proven guy, not a guy that COULD be good.

It seems Boldin is the only option left, and our chances of landing him seem to be fading.

Get yo' popcorn ready, because I think we'll end up with TO. Which wouldn't be bad...6 years ago.

Posted 20 minutes ago from Schefter:

Arizona is closing in on a long-anticpated deal to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver Anquan Boldin. Leading contender: Baltimore. KC also in.

But Aaron Wilson covers the Ravens, so he might have more insight than Schefter. The Pats also have three second rounders to offer. Lets see what happens.

Guest BallTMore

Posted 20 minutes ago from Schefter:

But Aaron Wilson covers the Ravens, so he might have more insight than Schefter. The Pats also have three second rounders to offer. Lets see what happens.

Guy on NFL network just said New England is NOT in the race for Boldin. I'm not sure I believe him though, but, we'll see.