ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A look at Ravens' options at wide receiver

cravnravn

I mean that 5.8 doesn't count against our own FA right? Only ones we obtain from other teams...please correct me if I am wrong!

Yes, D. Thomas is a beast and would be a man child on our team! I swear, dude is gonna be the 2nd coming Calvin Johnson!

You're correct, Only counts when signing free agents from another team.

Walter resigned with Texans.

Texans have re-signed free agent wide receiver Kevin Walter, who was in talks with Baltimore today before they traded for Anquan Boldin

http://twitter.com/Ravensinsider

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there goes the Boldin/Walter pipe dream....

Kevin Walter re-signs with Texans

Less than two hours after the Ravens traded for Anquan Boldin, Kevin Walter re-signed with the Houston Texans, according to the Houston Chronicle.

If the Ravens couldn't complete a trade for Boldin, they were expected to pursue Walter, one of the top free-agent wide receivers. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/kevin_walter_resigns_with_texans.html

Okay, here are some guys we could be looking to sign:

Maake Kemoeatu - he was just cut from the Panthers. Maybe we could bring him back for pretty cheap and solid defensive line depth.

Lito Sheppard - only 28-years old. He had a pretty bad year for the Jets last season but he could be a classic buy low, bounce back player. He made the Pro-Bowl in 2004 and 2006 (All-Pro 2006).

Leigh Bodden - Also only 28-years old and is from Hyattsville, MD. He had a great year for the Pats last season (55 tackles, 6 INTs), so his price tag could be a little high.

We should really focus on bringing back Mason and Edwards first, however.

So I know I am just crying over spilled milk, but the Texans signed Walter for 5 years @ 21 million...

"The Ravens chose Boldin over Denver's Brandon Marshall, who is visiting Seattle after not drawing any interest from the Ravens, and free agent Kevin Walter, who later re-signed with the Houston Texans (five years, $21 million)."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-boldin0305,0,766836.story

Would have been a solid pick up at that price...oh well...on to the next move!

Chosing Boldin over Marshall was a no brainer. Marshall may be a freak, but he has waaaaayyyy toooooo much baggage. That affects dynamics and does reduce his value despite his on field production. Boldin on the other hand is the opposite pole. Boldin is a great guy, team player, and tough as nails. His intangibles actually increase his value as his positive example rubs off and has a positive affect on team dynamics. Don't underestimate team dynamics, very important. If the game was one by the best players, Manning would not have lost the Super Bowl. This isn't Tennis or Golf, we have to build a strong team.

Something else to consider about Clayton, he could be something of a late bloomer like Derrick Mason. Mason was 27-years old when he had his first 1,000 yard season. Mark will only be 28-years old this season. Derrick said himself that "Mark Clayton is a younger version of me."

Very true Mr Cleet, hence the reasoning behind the #2 offer to Clayton.

Everything now is on Mason, if he signs with Miami or Tennessee, the Clayton offer will look like another Oz "Golden Egg"

Still thinking Owens.

Boldin, Clayton and Owens, Owens /Clayton. I believe Clayton could do much of what Mason did + some and with Boldin and TO he will have so more much favourable matchups. And if/when Boldin is injuried there will still be the noise from Owens.

As for Owens (and Boldin for that matter too), he will be competing for a legit SB contender, this could be another Willis McGahee anno 2009.

Draftpick, Marcus Smith, Stallworth/DW/Harper.

Guest BallTMore

Ravens are reportedly no longer interested in Mason.

Interesting. I imagine he has priced himself out of our range. Hopefully this is a bit of a bluff because I'd love to see Q and Mason on the field together.

I think that rumor stemmed from Hensley's blog that said "Mason could return, but [is] no longer a priority." I believe this is all just postering between Mason and the Ravens. It will work itself out. If not, we will draft a receiver or two, or even sign a guy like Bryant.

COOL...Lets get Leon!!!!!

Naw, that would be a shame, Mason single covered I would have liked to seen that..But if Mason dont see the big picture of what the Ravens have done here (landing Boldin, landing Stallworth) and he dosent want to be part of that?? fuk him, he proved he's all about the benjamins.

Give me Antonio Bryant as our #2 receiver if Mason is gone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFuomOYYT4

This guy has elite talent, and posted big numbers in 2008. He has never had a good QB or another good WR to work with. Put him in the offense with Joe, Q, and Ray, and he will make plays for us. Bryant would be the perfect complement to Q. Q nabs all the underneath and over the middle stuff, while Bryant is the deep threat.

I can't believe Walter signed for that cheap! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm now content with our WR core, and it's the 2nd day of Free Agency. Stallworth still has his speed, and was signed to a bid deal just a few years ago. Now we add Boldin, who I absolutely love. The guy will force us to implement WR Screens, which I have been wanting for YEARS, and is a fantastic run blocker, which is really an underrated skill. I'd be content bringing back Kelley Wash, Clayton and DWill now and just hoping one of them steps up to be the #3 guy.

So is the reason we're not pursuing Bryant and Bodden that we can't afford them, that they aren't interested, or something else? Because as far as I'm concerned, if we added one of those guys - plus two solid draft picks - we'd be one of the Super Bowl favorites.

So is the reason we're not pursuing Bryant and Bodden that we can't afford them, that they aren't interested, or something else? Because as far as I'm concerned, if we added one of those guys - plus two solid draft picks - we'd be one of the Super Bowl favorites.

I don't think Ozzie wants more than one expensive new WR pickup. He supposedly was negotiating with Boldin and Walter and was going to pull the offer to whichever didn't sign first (as he did). And, of course, there's that whole Final Eight thing, and Bryant is not worth wasting that.

Bodden is too expensive, and is already pretty deep in negotiations to stay in New England.

We aren't the Redskins. Cap or not, buying everyone up is a foolish idea. I thought it was sad, yet hysterical, how some of you were throwing fits that nothing had been done in free agency with the Ravens through yesterday afternoon. It's as if you hadn't watched how things have usually been done for the last 15 years or, more to the point, as if Mr. Bisciotti's wallet never gets empty.

It is still very early. From what I am hearing there is not much interest in Bryant right now. He wants to go to Miami (he is from there), but if you remember Bryant had a fallout with Bill Parcells on the Cowboys back in 2002 or so, thus Parcells is not interested. Ideally, I think Ozzie wants Mason back, but Ozzie is going to let Mason test the market. This thing could play out for a little while. If Mason goes somewhere else or Ozzie decides Mason is not worth what he is asking for, and Bryant is still on the market, I am sure Ozzie would make a move. Or vice-versa, if Bryant is signed before Mason, Ozzie will probably step his offer up for Mason being there is nothing left on the market. Ozzie wants to see what happens with Mason first, so he is not going to make a rash move with Bryant. Patience guys, there is no immediate rush, let the market set itself. I am very confident we will end up with one of Bryant or Mason.

As for Bodden... With the money Dunta Robinson got, do you want to give Bodden #1 corner money? I mean he is good, but he is not an elite corner. If anything, he is a good fit for the Pats system and who knows how he would do outside of it. With the money Foxworth is making, it does not make sense to overpay for another corner who is not a legit #1 corner. I think we are going to have to find our corner through the draft, there is certainly value there so I am not worried. Right now I think Ozzie is going to try and re-sign Dwan Edwards and search for addition vetern defensive line help. Ozzie has a plan, we will be a much better team when it is all said and done. Heck, we already are after the Boldin move.

I don't think Ozzie wants more than one expensive new WR pickup. He supposedly was negotiating with Boldin and Walter and was going to pull the offer to whichever didn't sign first (as he did). And, of course, there's that whole Final Eight thing, and Bryant is not worth wasting that.

Bodden is too expensive, and is already pretty deep in negotiations to stay in New England.

We aren't the Redskins. Cap or not, buying everyone up is a foolish idea. I thought it was sad, yet hysterical, how some of you were throwing fits that nothing had been done in free agency with the Ravens through yesterday afternoon. It's as if you hadn't watched how things have usually been done for the last 15 years or, more to the point, as if Mr. Bisciotti's wallet never gets empty.

I doubt they would have pulled the Boldin deal simply because Walter was interested. I hope our front office is smarter than that. We got our #1 receiver... Walter and Boldin are not equal commodities.

Bodden is "too expensive"? Based on what? There's no salary cap, and we have to use our exemption on someone... who would be a better pickup than Bodden?

And are you Bisciotti's accountant? If so, how many millions can he afford to spend, exactly? A better comparison would be the Yankees or Sox, not the Redskins, because we're a consistent playoff team... the Redskins' failings are in spite of their talent, not because of it.

And to suggest that people were hysterical because of free agency is simply wrong. Any hysteria was based on the notion that we would not make a play for Boldin or Marshall (both of which would likely end up as trades) and that we were instead going after receivers like Walter. The concern was a result of our 15-year history of not closing on top wideouts, and it was justified. Fortunately, we went against our history, and made a deal for a Pro Bowl receiver on Day 1 of free agency.

I doubt they would have pulled the Boldin deal simply because Walter was interested. I hope our front office is smarter than that. We got our #1 receiver... Walter and Boldin are not equal commodities.

Bodden is "too expensive"? Based on what? There's no salary cap, and we have to use our exemption on someone... who would be a better pickup than Bodden?

And are you Bisciotti's accountant? If so, how many millions can he afford to spend, exactly? A better comparison would be the Yankees or Sox, not the Redskins, because we're a consistent playoff team... the Redskins' failings are in spite of their talent, not because of it.

And to suggest that people were hysterical because of free agency is simply wrong. Any hysteria was based on the notion that we would not make a play for Boldin or Marshall (both of which would likely end up as trades) and that we were instead going after receivers like Walter. The concern was a result of our 15-year history of not closing on top wideouts, and it was justified. Fortunately, we went against our history, and made a deal for a Pro Bowl receiver on Day 1 of free agency.

I disagree with every ounce of this post.

To your first point: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/with-boldin-on-board-baltimore-bails-on-walter/

I disagree with every ounce of this post.

To your first point: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/with-boldin-on-board-baltimore-bails-on-walter/

That doesn't prove that they would have signed Walter before they absolutely knew Boldin was traded elsewhere. All it says is that they were working on moves for both guys, and weren't going to bring in both. Again, Walter and Boldin are not equal commodities, so my guess is that Ozzie wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Walter until he knew Boldin was out of reach.

That doesn't prove that they would have signed Walter before they absolutely knew Boldin was traded elsewhere. All it says is that they were working on moves for both guys, and weren't going to bring in both. Again, Walter and Boldin are not equal commodities, so my guess is that Ozzie wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Walter until he knew Boldin was out of reach.

...you're making my point.

You guys can stop arguing, Aaron Wilson said that Walter didn't want to come here after we traded for Boldin. He probably wanted the opportunity to be a #1 receiver, but when he saw we got Boldin he probably thought what was the point of going from being a #2 to Andre Johnson to being a #2 to Q here in Baltimore.

You guys can stop arguing, Aaron Wilson said that Walter didn't want to come here after we traded for Boldin. He probably wanted the opportunity to be a #1 receiver, but when he saw we got Boldin he probably thought what was the point of going from being a #2 to Andre Johnson to being a #2 to Q here in Baltimore.

Yeah, he wouldn't want to move to an offense like ours. With Boldin and Rice in the backfield there aren't that many catches to go around anymore, that's why I'm not sure Mason is a Raven next year.