ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A look at Ravens' options at wide receiver

cravnravn

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy on NFL network just said New England is NOT in the race for Boldin. I'm not sure I believe him though, but, we'll see.

Aaron Wilson is saying the same thing now and that it is between us and KC. Maybe if KC gets him we can get Bowe? This is exciting! GO GET Q OZZIE!!!

Guest BallTMore

I'll very much take a WR corp of:

1. Boldin

2. Mason/Walter

3a. Stallworth

3b. Clayton

Is it possible to get Q and Walter? I'd do a back-flip if that happened.

If not. I'd gladly take Q/Mase/Stallworth/Clayton/Williams

Is it possible to get Q and Walter? I'd do a back-flip if that happened.

If not. I'd gladly take Q/Mase/Stallworth/Clayton/Williams

I would much rather have Mason than Walter. Walter would probably require a five-year deal for at least $5 million a year whereas Mason would only require a two-year deal. Then take into consideration that Mason already has a good rap with Flacco and it is a no brainer, Mason would be the best #2 receiver in the league being teams could no longer focus exclusively on him with Q on the other side. I CANNOT WAIT until we get a receiver that can do this (especially at :44):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814c59c2/WK-13-Anquan-Boldin-highlights

This would also allow us to put Clayton in the slot, where I think he could give defenses mismatches with his quickness.

I would much rather have Mason than Walter. Walter would probably require a five-year deal for at least $5 million a year whereas Mason would only require a two-year deal. Then take into consideration that Mason already has a good rap with Flacco and it is a no brainer, Mason would be the best #2 receiver in the league being teams could no longer focus exclusively on him with Q on the other side. I CANNOT WAIT until we get a receiver that can do this (especially at :44):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814c59c2/WK-13-Anquan-Boldin-highlights

This would also allow us to put Clayton in the slot, where I think he could give defenses mismatches with his quickness.

I keep thinking about the regular season game against the Pats where Mason absolutely shredded their secondary on the opening drive and they had to bracket him. What's gonna happen when you have Q on the other side? Get it done!

Getting CLOSE!!!

Two sources told me Boldin deal is getting closer. Terms could be a third in 2010 and a sixth or seventh next year. Nothing done yet

Ravens are looking into WR trade target Anquan Boldin's medical history, Cardinals have released them, per a league source

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider

Well, that didn't take long: Anquan Boldin agrees to a new four-year, $28 million contract with the Ravens.

Ozzie....is...a...GOD!

I AM SO THRILLED!!! Ozzie, go bring back D-Mase now!!!! Wow, do Lions look bad. Nate Burleson gets 5-years, $25 million with $11 million guaranteed. We get Boldin for 4-years, $28 million with $10 million guaranteed. Joe must be estatic right now!!!

Can we get a source on the contract parameters?

I think we should forget Mason at this point and go after Kevin Walter! He is younger and will pair with Boldin much better than Mason!

Tough to give up a 3rd and a 4th rounder, but getting a 5th plus Boldin is well worth it!

2 more WR, one through FA and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick and we are in business!

By the way, am I the only one here hoping that someone goes after Clayton at this point?

Can we get a source on the contract parameters?

I think we should forget Mason at this point and go after Kevin Walter! He is younger and will pair with Boldin much better than Mason!

Tough to give up a 3rd and a 4th rounder, but getting a 5th plus Boldin is well worth it!

2 more WR, one through FA and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick and we are in business!

By the way, am I the only one here hoping that someone goes after Clayton at this point?

Anquan Boldin lands three-year, $25 million extension, leaving him with four years and $28 million left. New deal includes $10 million gtd.

Adam Schefter: http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Aaron Wilson is saying we are out on Walter, which is good because we shouldn't waste our $5.3 million free agent on Walter when we can re-sign Mason without giving up this exception. Mason is definitely the better option, we would have to give Walter a five-year deal similar to Burleson, we only have to give Mason two-years. Mason already has a great rap with Flacco, and would thrive in our offense with Q on the other side. Teams could no longer double Mason and he is going to have a field day in man-coverage as teams try to contain Ray Rice and Q.

As for Mark Clayton. Sure, I would take a second rounder for Clayton, but it is unlikely a team will make an offer. Clayton is not a bad player. If Clayton was on the free market right now, I am sure he would get more attention than any other UFA WR. IMO, Clayton has been playing out of position on the outside the past couple of years. He is a guy who is more quick than fast, we need to get him in the slot against linebackers, nickel backs, and safeties to cause a mismatch. With the addition of Mason, and the addition of Q, Clayton will be able to comfortably slip into the #3 slot receiver role for us.

Something else to consider about Clayton, he could be something of a late bloomer like Derrick Mason. Mason was 27-years old when he had his first 1,000 yard season. Mark will only be 28-years old this season. Derrick said himself that "Mark Clayton is a younger version of me." Clayton may never be that true #1 receiver we wanted him to be, but he can still become a solid #2 for us. This is not like Travis Taylor where Taylor seemed lackadaisical when it came to being the best he could be. Mark works very hard, is a team player, and gives 100% every game. Bringing him back is a no brainer. There were plenty of times this past season where Clayton was open and Joe did not hit him. They will continue to develop chemistry and hopefully Mark will be able to be more of a playmaker for us.

Aaron Wilson is saying we are out on Walter, which is good because we shouldn't waste our $5.3 million free agent on Walter when we can re-sign Mason without giving up this exception.

So who do we use our exception on, now? Dunta Robinson? *drools*

No, but seriously. What are our options?

Aaron Wilson is saying we are out on Walter, which is good because we shouldn't waste our $5.3 million free agent on Walter when we can re-sign Mason without giving up this exception. Mason is definitely the better option, we would have to give Walter a five-year deal similar to Burleson, we only have to give Mason two-years. Mason already has a great rap with Flacco, and would thrive in our offense with Q on the other side. Teams could no longer double Mason and he is going to have a field day in man-coverage as teams try to contain Ray Rice and Q.

As for Mark Clayton. Sure, I would take a second rounder for Clayton, but it is unlikely a team will make an offer. Clayton is not a bad player. If Clayton was on the free market right now, I am sure he would get more attention than any other UFA WR. IMO, Clayton has been playing out of position on the outside the past couple of years. He is a guy who is more quick than fast, we need to get him in the slot against linebackers, nickel backs, and safeties to cause a mismatch. With the addition of Mason, and the addition of Q, Clayton will be able to comfortably slip into the #3 slot receiver role for us.

Something else to consider about Clayton, he could be something of a late bloomer like Derrick Mason. Mason was 27-years old when he had his first 1,000 yard season. Mark will only be 28-years old this season. Derrick said himself that "Mark Clayton is a younger version of me." Clayton may never be that true #1 receiver we wanted him to be, but he can still become a solid #2 for us. This is not like Travis Taylor where Taylor seemed lackadaisical when it came to being the best he could be. Mark works very hard, is a team player, and gives 100% every game. Bringing him back is a no brainer. There were plenty of times this past season where Clayton was open and Joe did not hit him. They will continue to develop chemistry and hopefully Mark will be able to be more of a playmaker for us.

Granted it wouldn't count against the "final eight" rule if we resign Mason, but what other big time FA out there could be pursue to give the $5.3 mil to? Antrel Rolle? Probably not! Dunta Robinson? Doubt it, plus I think he has already signed with Atlanta! Leigh Bodden? Potentially... T.O.? No thanks! Antonio Bryant? Maybe...but I would much rather have Walter than the aforementioned FA!

Have you heard of the phrase "if you don't use it, you lose it!"? Well let's solidify the WR corps and go after Walter! I'd rather give the contract to the guy that clearly has more than 1, maybe 2, more seasons left in the tank! Don't get me wrong, I respect and appreciate everything Mason has done these past few years but I would rather get younger at the position especially if talent and production come with that youth!

And no...I will not consider the late bloomer comparison between Mason and Clayton! For starters, Mason was a late bloomer because he was special teamer for the first 5 years of his career! Clayton on the other hand, has been in the starting line up since day one basically! Clayton has really shown little to date to support your claim that he can be a solid #2 for us. I do not think we should view him as a later bloomer! He is oft injured and has one leg that is a foot longer than the opposite...what kind of WR can perform with that physical anomaly!

1)Boldin

2)Walter

3)Rookie (A.Benn,D.Thomas,G.Tate)

4)Stallworth

5)Clayton

6)Marcus Smith

That is my WR dream team for us next year...at this point!

So who do we use our exception on, now? Dunta Robinson? *drools*

No, but seriously. What are our options?

Robinson is very close to signing with the Falcons, he would have been a good guy to get. Leigh Bodden? There is really not that much else out there. We would be better off re-upping our own guys like Edwards, Gaither, Yanda, Koch, and McClain. Bring back Mason, save the money for other uses.

1)Boldin

2)Walter

3)Rookie (A.Benn,D.Thomas,G.Tate)

4)Stallworth

5)Clayton

6)Marcus Smith

That is my WR dream team for us next year...at this point!

Demaryius Thomas' deep potential opposite Boldin could be a force to be reckoned with. Also agree with Cleetz that there really isn't anyone out there worth 5.8 and we'd be better off signing our own.

I mean that 5.8 doesn't count against our own FA right? Only ones we obtain from other teams...please correct me if I am wrong!

Yes, D. Thomas is a beast and would be a man child on our team! I swear, dude is gonna be the 2nd coming Calvin Johnson!