ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Early Thoughts on Ravens Draft

vmax

drstrangelove.jpg'I'm feeling very good about this draft."

Signing Jimmy Smith set this up so Joe could get some help. And he needs it.

Certainly it will take 2-3 years before we know how good this draft is but I think Perryman and Williams will start this year. Davis has stiff competition in front of him but I see him being and valuable key in the D line rotation. Guy was just "OK" in my opinion....they need to upgrade over him and Davis should be that.

They got a solid RB.

They got younger and faster. And deeper which is most important if they want to continue to be playoff contenders and keep the string going.

I think this draft and last years will pay off big....this year or next.

The whole division got better. I think it's the best in the NFL.

Finally, everybody here worked so hard so please, take a break, relax and head out back to the ER gardens where our hostess will be serving refreshing beverages. :gorave:

2234960801_5437f055fc.jpg

I hope they reach out and can convice Ifo Ekpre-Olomu to come in as an UFA. The kid can cover like no other, provided that knee heals properly, he would truly b a steal if it does. Incedentally, he earned $3 mil by not being drafted....

Now for the draft, hard for me to argue with it since I started that thread mid season "begging" them to draft wide receivers early, often and toss in a tight end.

It is my belief, ws then and still is, that the way to help this defense is with a better passing game. The 2nd half of last season into the playoffs proved that out. With Perriman and Williams, they should help this offense take the next step, even with another new OC.

Some projects drafted later in the draft, Davis for one, Max, I am not sure he is an upgrade over Guy, who played admirable last season. His only job ws to ocupy blockers and he did more than that for certain.

I love the Waller pick, as I said in the thread, look what he did when he didn't have an "real offense", no real quarterback, his main job was to block and he did that well.

I don't need to remind anyone here how important blocking is in the running game for long runs. I don't expect him to see the field this year, I see a mysterious injury happening to him mid way through pre-season games. :gorave:

Overall, a very solid draft, the corner position wasn't really addressed outside of another project, but frankly, this draft was weak in that area this year and the secondary should be better just bcause of health.

Good write up, Max. On the defensive line, don't forget about Brent Urban and Kaperon Lewis-Moore, who were on the IR last season. We are stacked.

This was probably one of the "sexiest" drafts the Ravens have had. We drafted potential instant playmakers at WR and TE our first two picks, and a mammoth of a physical specimen DT with our third pick. All three guys have Pro Bowl potential, and will get an immediate chance to prove themselves with playing time. What I love even more, Carl Davis and Maxx Williams are angry after falling in the draft. They will come to camp with a chip on their shoulder. The icing on the cake was jumping the Steelers to take Williams.

Beyond our first three picks: Allen at RB is a good fit for our system. Good looking physical numbers, and great production at USC against top competition. He has starter potential. There is debate on Walker already on the board, but his size, speed and ballhawk combination is intriguing. Both guys will get an opportunity to get significant playing time.

The rest of the guys seem like projects that might need a year in an NFL weight room and practices. We filled a lot of needs today. The team will look good going into camp.

Guy was solid...I didn't mean that he was a weak link, but on the 3rd and short or 4th & short teams ran right over him.

Yea....and now the Ravens are speed dialing all those UFA's.

More depth.

I had a brief glimpse at character and it seems the Ravens opted for that rather than the Gregory type guys.

They went blue collar.

And in general they went for size.

Now it's all on their excellent coaching staff to turn this raw material into Ravens.

I truly believe they will.

I forgot about Za'Darius Smith!

@RavensInsider: Ozzie Newsome on Za'Darius Smith: 'We think he can line up and play behind [suggs] at the rush spot.'

@RavensInsider: John Harbaugh said Za'Darius Smith reminded him of Pernell McPhee a lot, physicality, heavy hands, pass rush skills

I forgot about Za'Darius Smith!

@RavensInsider: Ozzie Newsome on Za'Darius Smith: 'We think he can line up and play behind [suggs] at the rush spot.'

@RavensInsider: John Harbaugh said Za'Darius Smith reminded him of Pernell McPhee a lot, physicality, heavy hands, pass rush skills

Amen! Icing on the cake.

One more thought. Another reason that I'm satisfied as a fan is That I feel very confident that the Ravens will field a very competitive team this year against a brutal schedule,

That's all I ask for....meaningful games in December.

We are very fortunate Ravens and football fans,

All in all I was impressed. I really thought they would go QB just in case Joe doesn't negotiate. I don't really get the Boyle or Meyers pick. Another TE from a small school. The Ravens have 2 young TE's now. I think they need a cheap vet in that rotation. Meyers is an unathletic OG. This team is running a ZBS so why even bother with this guy?