ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Special teams, two games, two disasters....

tsylvester

I know, it is pre season, most of the guys out there right now will not be on the team, this is a chance to settle some positional battles.... However..............

Returnman for punts, don't see him out there, don't currently see him on the team.. I am not talking about a home run hitter, just some one to safely catch the punt, to know when to run away from the ball to let it go.......... None of them have caught the ball cleanly, consistantly, nor with confidence so far. Asa came the closest, but with the injury history of the secondary, can he be used there?

Kickoff returns, not that they have gotten much chance with the other two teams kicking it out of the endzone most of the time, idiots.,....

Still, when the chances were there, fumbles, bobbles, no burst.

I do wonder if Tousant will be the default kickoff return man, he has the quickness, toughness and has experience with it. Maybe they are just not using him there for now ala, BJ Sams many moons ago who did great in practice and they kept him quiet until the season started... But then, injuries killed his career....

Coverage has been horrible. The first game while no one scored, while there were no big returns, there were plenty of times whre one man got one arm on the returner who had a huge hole. The second game speaks for it self, one return, one almost return.....

Special teams are key, most teams who go far are among the tops in the league in this area..... Game three should tell us some thing as the starters for all positions, will go longer into the game.....

I'm way more concerned about the coverage, or lack of it, than I am about who will wind up catching punts. I think Campanaro, if healthy, would be the punt catch man. There's no Jacoby on the roster this year so I don't see anybody returning a punt for a TD. Like you said, kickoff returns are rare now so I'm not worried about that.

The coverage has been horrible! Every time we punt I hold my breath because there always seems to be a lack of Ravens around the ball when it comes down. I don't know why, I just know it stinks.

Just a guess here.....they are not staying in their lanes because they want to make the big hit and get a roster spot. This leaves gaps that returners exploit.

A coach will chew out & cut a player for breaking his lane responsibility even if he makes the tackle. Lane responsibility is a big deal to coaches; frelancing on special teams is a big no-no.

A coach will chew out & cut a player for breaking his lane responsibility even if he makes the tackle. Lane responsibility is a big deal to coaches; frelancing on special teams is a big no-no.

It's time to do that.

This same situation is on the defense....wanting to make plays rather than staying discipline and stay "home."

It's time to do that.

This same situation is on the defense....wanting to make plays rather than staying discipline and stay "home."

Most people see a bull rush and think the defensive lineman did a great job. However, while most times this is true, there are times, in certain schemes, when that same rush is detrimental to the "play" the defense has called.

You will notice this when a defensive lineman gets a big push but all it does is open a huge hole for the back to run through because the other linemen and backers are doing their job properly on what ever "play" was called.

There is so much that goes into gap responsibility, far more than simply getting penetration, sometimes, that penetraion is exactly what the offense needs and wants....

• 2 weeks later...

More apparent now, ASA is not a return man. Last night, while it was a nice punt return, he almost let the ball slip through his hands when he transfered it after catching it, then the trip......... Then the fumble on the other one...... Maybe Camp will be the man....

Kick offs, oh brother, Mcgee is not the anser unless they want to start each drive from the 15...... He is just not fast enough out of the end zone. I like him, but Tousaints is the better option from a return/running back point of view. He is quick out of the endzone and has elsusiveness to make men miss. He catches it clean, unlike McGee....

They talked about Smith being the punt return guy, I am not sure they want the only receiver who can get open consistantly, who is so old and in his last year, put into danger like punt returns....

This still looks to be a mess, maybe they have plan they are not making obvious..............