ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2015 Offseason

dc.

Well, I think there was a time it did really reflect poorly on us when our rep was also about avoiding pay day...

Balfour turned out right for us, though it was less his durability and more his own failures. But I don't think it looks as bad as it once could have, even if we were right

I don't even remember the Tyler Colvin or Xavier Hernandez cases, though Hernandez was a long time ago.

Can't wait for baseball season to start!

Same here!

Well, I think there was a time it did really reflect poorly on us when our rep was also about avoiding pay day...

Balfour turned out right for us, though it was less his durability and more his own failures. But I don't think it looks as bad as it once could have, even if we were right

I haven't read the entire article yet, but here's an insight into the examination process:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/a-writer-is-put-to-the-test-by-the-mariners-medical-staff/

The other other shoe.

So, he took a big pay cut and reduction in contract length?

Crav: short answer is our physical, which saves us other time, gave him the time to go negotiate elsewhere. But his choice still didn't make sense to me.

The other other shoe.

So, he took a big pay cut and reduction in contract length?

Crav: short answer is our physical, which saves us other time, gave him the time to go negotiate elsewhere. But his choice still didn't make sense to me.

I don't think it has anything to do with the physical. Both camps are saying the deal was never agreed to and Fowler was insistent upon the opt out. We were not going there given the draft pick.

Hard to blame Fowler. Yes he could have taken the $16M qualifying offer, but then he'd be subject to it again next offseason. With the Cubs he gets $8M for 2016 with a $5M buyout on a $9M mutual option for 2017. In other words, if he does bad this season the Cubs would likely exercise and pay $5M to get out of the contract. If Fowler has a big year, he exercises the option, gets $5M, and is now a free agent with no draft pick attached to him.

In short, he took $3M less (plus time value of money for the end of season buyout) to test free agency next season with no draft pick attached. Of course, he is risking injury and/or a poor season.

Amending my own post: I believe the Cubs could still offer the qualifying offer after the buy out. That would represent a potential $20M+ investment for one year of Fowler (although the $5M could be seen as a sunk cost and/or tied into the 2016 salary). Also, there is no guarantee of a qualifying offer next year given CBA negotiations.

But I agree weird situation. Jones said he talked to Fowler. Rizzo on the Cubs admitted he texted Fowler good luck in Baltimore yesterday.

I don't think Angelos had anything to do with it. Appears a senior Orioles official prematurely leaked the agreement. I am sure Angelos is going to fire/discipline someone over this.

Exact opposite view here. Leaked? Maybe, but how different from telling sources any other time which happens every deal every day? And as Spen said, with no follow up by league or Fowler, which there won't be, what's there to fire someone for?

Exact opposite view here. Leaked? Maybe, but how different from telling sources any other time which happens every deal every day? And as Spen said, with no follow up by league or Fowler, which there won't be, what's there to fire someone for?

I'm not saying it was a deliberate or malicient leak done to create leverage. The official probably honestly thought the deal was done. I read Fowler's camp asked for the opt out late in the process. Even AJ later texted Fowler saying his bad for jumping the gun. This is why the team does not announce anything until the player is in town and the press conference is set.

All I am saying is it wouldn't surprise me if Angelos puts more strict measures on senior officials giving information to the media. Someone made an honest mistake on the Orioles side.

Tillman scratched. "Core muscle injury" whatever that means.

Scarier part, the words MRI have already been mentioned if soreness didn't fade quickly.

"If" the staff is healthy and Tillman returns to form...

I was against it early, but an coming around. He's still young and plays good D. He's not an obp guy, but I'd settle.

Hell, the Reds seem so desperate to dump him, I think he's cost almost nothing.

I was against it early, but an coming around. He's still young and plays good D. He's not an obp guy, but I'd settle.

Hell, the Reds seem so desperate to dump him, I think he's cost almost nothing.

My thoughts exactly. Pretty good analysis here on Bruce's potential as a bounce back candidate:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/5449/jay-bruce-is-a-bounce-back-candiate

I think the question is actually still lead off... If the question is Machado one, who two, or who one, Machado two... I prefer option two. Kim or Reimold would be my bets.

Really don't like the Alvarez signing. Think it bumps Rickerd out of the line up, so that hurts our on base majorly. Now either Alvarez or Trumbo is playing RF regularly, that is a pain. Just not sure what it does for us.

Our goals this if season were on base... So we signed Alvarez, Trumbo and resigned Davis? K. K. More k. Kim is the line bright spot in the entire line up on that front and he's never done it in a majors!

I like Rickards a lot as well. While this may bump him out of the lineup, I think the move assures he makes the roster. He can play all three outfield positions very well. Who knows, with injuries he could see time. There's a also a chance that Kim, Trumbo and/or Alvarez doesn't produce. Rickards could be our lead off guy some point during the season.

Alvarez is terrible against lefties. Rickards could be our lead off guy against lefties.

I hate that we have to bat Machado lead off.