ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steve Smith coming back

vmax

Oh Yea! :gorave:

Even with his age, the Ravens need his passion, work ethic and leadership.

Offensive tackle Kelechi Osemele wasn't shocked by the news of Smith's return.

"He's not the type of guy to go out like that," Osemele said. "Obviously, we can't wait to have him back. I know he's going to come back in the best shape of his life and he's going to dominate because that's the type of person he is."

Osemele added: "I knew as soon as he got injured he was going to be back. That's just Steve. He didn't come here to go out like that."

Cornerback Jimmy Smith said Steve Smith had told him that he was coming back "a while ago."

"He's a great, tremendous leader for us and obviously we know what type of player he is," Jimmy Smith said. "That can only help us."

Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil was elated by the news.

"Obviously anybody who bleeds black and purple is excited," Dumervil said.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14466370/wr-steve-smith-sr-says-returning-baltimore-ravens-2016

Steve-Smith-Ravens.jpg

Divisional+Playoffs+Baltimore+Ravens+v+N

Edited by vmax

A reminder....a sobering point....

The return of Smith is undoubtedly a positive at the end of a dismal season. It's better to have a strong-willed receiver like Smith on the team than figure out how to fill that void. Smith is a great receiver. He is probably a Hall of Fame one. But even a Hall of Fame receiver like Tim Brown had trouble maintaining productivity at this age. Brown caught over 75 passes for 10 straight seasons, but his receptions suddenly dropped to 52 when he turned 37.

Since 2001, there have been 10 receivers who played at the age of 37. None had more than 570 yards receiving and seven of them had less than 200. That's why it's going to be a challenge for Smith to record his ninth career 1,000-yard season, which would top all active receivers.

It's true that Smith was showing no signs of slowing down this season. He ranked eighth in the NFL with 670 yards receiving when he suffered his season-ending injury in Week 8. But Smith had a strong start in 2014 as well before tailing off in the second half, which is the time that really tests older players. His 390 yards in the last eight games of 2014 ranked 53rd in the NFL.http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/24876/ravens-cant-assume-steve-smith-will-be-their-no-1-receiver-in-2016

A reminder....a sobering point....

And, he's got to be able to cut and push off on that tendon like he's done before. That plus his age are against him. But nobody trains or plays harder than him. I'd love to see him go out with a good record here.

The Ravens shouldn't take their eye off the ball on one thing though: we still need another better than average WR. Either through free agency, the draft, or trade.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/audio/Eisenberg-Smiths-Return-No-Excuse-To-Stand-Pat-/0cbab1e3-684b-4602-9069-1d721f177abe

I have no problem with SSS coming back. Heck, I'm pumped. I love the intensity he brings and he deserves to go out on better terms. However, I hope his return isn't an excuse for the Ravens not going after a #1 receiver. Arizona has proven this season that a team cannot have too many good receivers (Fitzgerald, Floyd, Brown). If Laquon Treadwell is there at our pick, I'd be mad if we passed because we are banking on SSS.

I have no problem with SSS coming back. Heck, I'm pumped. I love the intensity he brings and he deserves to go out on better terms. However, I hope his return isn't an excuse for the Ravens not going after a #1 receiver. Arizona has proven this season that a team cannot have too many good receivers (Fitzgerald, Floyd, Brown). If Laquon Treadwell is there at our pick, I'd be mad if we passed because we are banking on SSS.

Take a gander at Sterling Sheppard right now. I've been skeptical of him, but he is showing me something tonight with his adjustments to the ball. My biggest issue was health and his size, but I think he will be a great slot player in the NFL.

Take a gander at Sterling Sheppard right now. I've been skeptical of him, but he is showing me something tonight with his adjustments to the ball. My biggest issue was health and his size, but I think he will be a great slot player in the NFL.

Tim, I was just thinking the exact same thing. Body control and hands have been spectacular so far tonight. He's looking like Antonio Brown. And that corner on Clemson he's going against is no slouch.

Perriman, Aiken, Treadwell would be a great 3 wide, with Smith to go four; wowza.....

Tim, I was just thinking the exact same thing. Body control and hands have been spectacular so far tonight. He's looking like Antonio Brown. And that corner on Clemson he's going against is no slouch.

Some great "shows" for players in these bowl games for sure. He can return kicks too, though the Ravens currently have a pretty good one in the undrafted rookie.... I would love to see them grab Sheppard in the 3rd or 4th round. A good back up plan for the always injured one who will not be named....

Some great "shows" for players in these bowl games for sure. He can return kicks too, though the Ravens currently have a pretty good one in the undrafted rookie.... I would love to see them grab Sheppard in the 3rd or 4th round. A good back up plan for the always injured one who will not be named....

Wow, did MacKensie Alexander rebound strong in the second half for Clemson. He's listed as 5'11" 195, but MacKensie looks and plays a lot bigger than that. Absolutely jacked. Redshirt sophomore, not sure if he comes out but he looks like a great player as well.

Treadwell put on a clinic last night. 6 receptions for 73 yards and 3 TDs. With his size, strength, body control and hands he is a serious redzone threat. Very Dez Bryant-like working that part of the field. There is talk about Treadwell going back for his senior year, but I don't know if his stock will be any higher after last night. With us being out of range for Ramsey, Treadwell is my number one target by far!

Yes, like you said yesterday was a great day for receivers. Mike Thomas and Will Fuller went back and forward with each other in the Fiesta Bowl.

Perriman, Aiken, Treadwell would be a great 3 wide, with Smith to go four; wowza.....

How do you think Treadwell compares to Parker from UofL last year? How about Kevin White? I realize they are different players, but from a value perspective?

If Treadwell runs a fast 40, could he be considered a top 10 pick?

How do you think Treadwell compares to Parker from UofL last year? How about Kevin White? I realize they are different players, but from a value perspective?

If Treadwell runs a fast 40, could he be considered a top 10 pick?

More Kevin White though White has a bit more speed. Even without the 40 time, which I think he will time in around the 4.48-4.5 range, he is a top 10 pick. Some reputable mocks have him going just before the Ravens pick.

From a value perspective, if they get Treadwell at their pick, he will be a steal.

Treadwell declared for the draft today. As did Hargreaves. Will Fuller declared this past weekend.

I saw PFF have Treadwell go in the top 10. Other analysts say he isn't a top ten pick. I tend to trust PFF. I think with a good combine Treadwell will be a top ten pick and we should have a great chance at getting him.

"Before I got hurt, you all didn’t think I would be able to put up the numbers that I was at 36," said Smith, who called off his retirement last week. "So, will I be able to put up numbers at 37? To be honest, you guys don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, so it doesn’t matter.""I think what you need to do is let me play and quit commenting about my play, because every time you all tell me something I can’t do, then you have a reason [for] why I’m doing it," he said. "I was 36 years old and close to the Top 5. Just let me play. Quit asking me what I’m going to put up. I’m going to put up the numbers I’m going to put up, and I’ll contribute the way I contribute at 37.”http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/25031/ravens-steve-smith-looking-to-prove-doubters-and-nfl-history-wrong-at-age-37

60b6457e8db7534edbe8aca5019069b3.jpg