ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ed Reed on with Ed Norris

cravnravn

Guest BallTMore

Which part of the segment are we talking about?

Boldin? Contract talk?

Honestly, I think Ed was talking just to talk. I had trouble following, I got the point in his round-about way, but it was a weird path getting there.

"Hamlin was with Dallas, now he's in Baltimore, Roy Williams is now in Cincinnati..."

Ok Ed. Thanks for sharing.

Nothing worth fussing over, in my opinion.

Guest BallTMore

I think Reed is basically saying his injuries are serious and after this season the Ravens are going to have to make it worth-while for him to play and risk injury.

Ah. Guess I glossed over that. It didn't register.

I got this impression that once again (post Billick era)there was a non-existing communication with a injured player/or who was not participating the OTAs.. like C-mac, Stover, Ray, Pryce, Suggs, Heap, Gaither... And 17 pro bowlers can be all nice and it can go terrible wrong with chemistry... I wonder what fatson preston is thinking.

I took it this way(reading between the lines)....he wants to go to work and play ball because he loves it and likes where the team is headed....but he knows he's going to face some serious consequences. His decision to play would be easier if he knew he had 'insurance/money' to pay for those probable consequences....some kind of guarantee that he would be taken care of if he becomes seriously hurt. That's why he refered to the CBA....there's a ton of broken down former NFL players who are not just physically broken but financially due to medical issues that surfaced later in life as a result of playing the game. Ed faces that.

It's sounded like..."Ravens? Would you pick up the tab if I take a hit week 2 that lays me up and ends my career? Or..."Why should I play for $2-3 million dollars if it could cost me $4-5?" He knows that under the current policy he won't be taken care of..."It's a business and these are business thoughts"

He never said that but that's what I thought was between the lines.

I guess that could only be handled with a new contract.

43772433.jpg

Here's another way I look at it.

Ed has doubts (which is sane)...because it is insane to step onto the field with his current physical problems. It's insane because he knows how physical the game is and what the current state of his body is.

But he loves the game...wants a SB ring...this team has a shot...and the pay is not too shabby.

The sane thing to do is retire now....before he ends upin a wheel chair for life

I think you hit it Max.

But you know there is a business side to this talk, and folks like us are going to get po'ed at the business side when they dont offer him a contract, bscause of his damages.

Ed started this ball rolling early, he knows they aren't just give him a lucrative contract.

I took it this way(reading between the lines)....he wants to go to work and play ball because he loves it and likes where the team is headed....but he knows he's going to face some serious consequences. His decision to play would be easier if he knew he had 'insurance/money' to pay for those probable consequences....some kind of guarantee that he would be taken care of if he becomes seriously hurt. That's why he refered to the CBA....there's a ton of broken down former NFL players who are not just physically broken but financially due to medical issues that surfaced later in life as a result of playing the game. Ed faces that.

It's sounded like..."Ravens? Would you pick up the tab if I take a hit week 2 that lays me up and ends my career? Or..."Why should I play for $2-3 million dollars if it could cost me $4-5?" He knows that under the current policy he won't be taken care of..."It's a business and these are business thoughts"

He never said that but that's what I thought was between the lines.

I guess that could only be handled with a new contract.

43772433.jpg

Here's another way I look at it.

Ed has doubts (which is sane)...because it is insane to step onto the field with his current physical problems. It's insane because he knows how physical the game is and what the current state of his body is.

But he loves the game...wants a SB ring...this team has a shot...and the pay is not too shabby.

The sane thing to do is retire now....before he ends upin a wheel chair for life

Max and Crav,

With the uncertainties in the NFL negotiations and his overall health, I say Reed has one more year - thats it - to snag a SB ring. I would love to see him play more but Reed has to concern himself with life after football.

Personally, I would be happy if we get one more productive year from Ed. Life after Reed and Ray Ray is practically upon us.

Lets hope the young guns on D are ready to step up.

I agree Va, I think thats why we went out and got us our Boldin & Stallworth, drafted Mt Cody..This is the year we make our run..As much as I'd hate to see Reed not back there at safety, I want to see him walk back on the field for Ed Reed Day when he gets inducted into the HOF.

Here's the transcript of the chat...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/07/transcript_part_i_of_ed_reeds_interview_on_1057.html

He'll make $6 mil this season if he plays...that has to twist his mind and influence his decision away from the rational thing to do.

Now...what is the doctors responsibility in all this? The ones who have to clear him to play?

The ones who say he is physically capable to play, to take the beating and dish out the beating that will happen over 16+ games and not bean invalid.

Can Ed sue them?

What it the teams responsibility?

What is the leagues responsibility?

Somebody...who does not have a vested interest...should make the determination that players with certain injuries are at too much of a risk to play the game and therefore they have to retire.

Ed can't see straight to help himself considering his love of the game and the opportunity to make $6 mil this season.

The Ravens Organization wants to win...they want a Super Bowl and Ed Reed on the field just increases their chances to do that. They certainly do not want to see Ed get hurt but they do have some factors that would blind them to saying "Ed, we love you, but for your own good, it's time to find another profession."

OK...he's an informed adult...a man...he can make his own decisions and live with the consequences that he is totally aware of.

It's on him...right? Everybody else can wash their hands.

That doesn't feel right to me.

Not when I've seen Johnny U's crippled hands...John Mackey as a shell of a man...these guys will....play till they are carted off on a stretcher

how much money do you want to give to a player that might not play for you?

Or may only play so long?

Well, you could always back load the contract, forcing Ed's hand..Its the devilish part of this business, you're dammed if you do or dont..

I agree with this writter. Ed never said he wants a new contract"NOW".

But did Reed ask for a new contract?

The fact that a very important quote is getting lost in the hubbub is also baffling. Here is what Reed said:

“I’m not going to ask the Ravens for anything if I’m not even going to play any much longer.”

He later repeats himself, “I’m not going to ask them for anything if I’m not going to be playing. Right now my focus is to get myself back.”

Am I missing something here?

Here’s my take on the situation after listening to the entire interview.

If Reed commits to playing for multiple years and wants to fight through injuries that could affect his life after football, then he may want to seriously discuss a new contract. Bam! There it is.

In the grand scheme of things, Reed has played at a Hall of Fame level for the majority of his career. I don’t hate on him for expressing his perceived value – especially when he also expressed a need to be healthy before he makes any requests.

Granted, the fact that Reed was even hinting toward a new contract at this point in time raises an eyebrow. But at least he demonstrated awareness that he isn’t in a position to do so yet.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/07/09/late-for-work-79-clearing-up-reeds-contract-request/

"Did you see how quickly the local and national media turned my comments into wanting and asking for a new contract now?!"

43662036.jpg