ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Panthers pull franchise tag from Josh Norman

tsylvester

there never would have been a long term deal, Norman wants between 15-16 mil a year, Carolinas final offer was 11 MIL a year. the tag guaranteed Norman 13+ mik a year, Panthers didn't want to pay that after they heard he was planning on holding out til camp started in July.

Still, they could have waited until the draft or even after working on trades. Shoot, a 5th or 6th rounder is better than nothing.

Is it though. I remember when we traded Boldin for a 5th and everyone was WTF Ozzie has lost his mind. Many of us saw it as getting something for nothing. Could you imagine what the reaction would have been if we had just cut Boldin?

Fans mean nothing to the franchise, no matter how much people want it to be untrue.

Boldin had to go from a business perspective, just as Norman had to go if they felt he would be a true distraction to the team. Other than that, cap wise it mattered not to them to keep him as a franchise player or else they would not have done so to begin with.

They stated he was the best last year, they knew he wanted to be paid as such. To now all of a sudden release him, especially if the reports are true they had a few small offers for him, makes no sense.

Absolutely outrageous. And I'll bet a year's salary that he doesn't see the end of that contract. It never ends in DC...

He is claiming the Panthers blind sided him, but if he truly wanted to stay with "his mentor" why not take their offer of $14 mil per, rather than the $15 per he is getting from the skins? Granted the parameters are likely different, but still.... If I wanted to stay somewhere, anything close to the "my number" would keep me there...

He is claiming the Panthers blind sided him, but if he truly wanted to stay with "his mentor" why not take their offer of $14 mil per, rather than the $15 per he is getting from the skins? Granted the parameters are likely different, but still.... If I wanted to stay somewhere, anything close to the "my number" would keep me there...

The Panthers weren't offering $14m per year. The franchise tag they pulled was $14m for the year but IIRC the Panthers were only offering $11 or $12m per year. I don't know what they were offering guaranteed but the Redskins have also guaranteed $50m which is a lot for a CB. He's getting paid $50m no matter what happens unless he does something stupid and gets arrested. The Panthers have done him a favor by releasing him.

The Panthers weren't offering $14m per year. The franchise tag they pulled was $14m for the year but IIRC the Panthers were only offering $11 or $12m per year. I don't know what they were offering guaranteed but the Redskins have also guaranteed $50m which is a lot for a CB. He's getting paid $50m no matter what happens unless he does something stupid and gets arrested. The Panthers have done him a favor by releasing him.

Yeah, but is that $50 a phony guarantee ala the Griffin deal?

$36.5 fully guaranteed in the form of a signing bonus of $15 mil, a salary of $5 mil this year, $16.5 mil next year and $13 mil in 2018, the rest is based on playing time...