ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Selling Autographs

ForceEight

I have a baseball signed about ten years ago by Rafael Palmeiro and Harold Baines. It's been kept in good condition, and I want to unload it for some Christmas cash this weekend (eBay obviously).

I have a few questions, though. One: is it worth it? I know they're both more than well-known, but not necessarily for the economically better. As well, how much do you think I can expect for it? There's little Palmeiro market on eBay, understandably, with the few balls/photos there going anywhere from $13-$250.

I also have a Stover photo, and two footballs (one signed by Reed, Mason, and Adam Bergen, the other signed by McAlister and Stokley), as far as what I might want to part with. Any prognosis on them?

I know a few of you know all about this. I'm not really itching to hold onto any of them, aside from the Reed/Mason ball (mainly because the Mason autograph is almost completely unrecognizable), because I do need the money. If I do sell them, I'll probably put them on this weekend, or Monday (for 5-7 days), as I need money before the end of the year.

Any thoughts? I know this is totally random.

Single signed baseballs bring the best value to a ball unless its an entire team signed ball..I got 1100 for a 1958 Colts team signed ball in poor condition. Good condition Colts team signed balls were fetching 25,000. If you need the money, sell it, but I think Baines is going into the HOF. it would bring more value when Baines gets in. Raffy screwed his chance of getting in.

Yeah, I think the added no-names on all the objects are hindering you...

You should put a minimum bid... that way you know you cat get the amount of money you want. If no one gives it up, then you keep the balls.

Also put in a 'sell now' price... Obviously significantly more than the minimum... you might get a bite on that too, sometimes.

Yeah, I know all about how to use eBay. I just don't know what sorta range I'm looking at, really.

I didn't think about Baines much, Crav. Thanks for that, actually. Might be worth it later, because he does have a legitimate shot; I don't have any faith in Palmeiro. either. However, that changes if McGuire ever gets in.

I never really understood why no-names hurt the value. If anything else, doesn't it vouch for the legitimacy of the autographs?

because I do need the money.

Who did you knock up?!

Not into that stuff. I did win a McChris Jersey signed by the Super Bowl team, it has paper with it(whatever that means).

I know these guys at work sell this stuff, balls and cards but I won't see them till Monday. If you can wait, which it sounds like you can't.

Just sell it on ebay.

Try seach for "Selling Autographs."

I never really understood why no-names hurt the value. If anything else, doesn't it vouch for the legitimacy of the autographs?

Because true collectors want a pristine item... pure ball, no marks, no damage (unless game-used)... and a pure signature... perfect for display... perfect to show the power of the image...

Same reason personalized autographs fetch less... aside from the fact that there are a whole lot fewer Ken's out there...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A new question:

I have a bunch of old (OLD) baseball cards. All in plastic. All found in the attic in my room not too long ago; I don't know where they're from, but I was told that they're mine.

I have two cards with Al Bumbry's autograph, two of Tippy Martinez, two of Scott McGregor, two of Paul Blair, and one of Curt Blefary.

Any idea what these cards would get, or if there's any demand for them at all? I can't get any good ideas from eBay, because of the range in price, demand, quality, etc.

No ideas on what they are worth.

There's a place in Towson/Lutherville called Jay's where I used to do all my sports collection shopping as a kid and I think they buy cards - in bulk especially. I remember we used to buy these boxes they would pack of just 500 or 1000 cards, and they'd sell 'em for 10 bucks.

Anyway, might be worth inquiring there. But as for demand for signed cards of virtual no names? No clue.

I have John Steadmans book "The Baltimore Colts" and it's personally autographed by Unitas, Moore, Berry, Dupre, Sandusky, Joyce, Sample, Donovan, Davis, Brown, Simpson, Nutler, DeCarlo, Brase and others.

No idea what that's worth

KS, your cards are worth to what they mean in your heart, in the market they are worthless..

Max, you on the otherhand have something in the 1200 dollar range..I have the same book autographed by Johnny and John and was told it would fetch 600.00 on the auction block.

Max, you on the otherhand have something in the 1200 dollar range..I have the same book autographed by Johnny and John and was told it would fetch 600.00 on the auction block.

I'll take $5,000 for it.

I'll take $5,000 for it.

I'll give ya 350.00

Ha...Ha...HAAAAA.

You can have Travis Taylors for that (I have his)...I'll throw in Bennie Thompsons as a good friend gesture. :)

You'll never get these signatures again...all on the 2 blank opening pages of the book. Priceless.

The price goes up tomorrow...that was a "TODAY" price.

Edited by vmax