ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A Steelers Fan Checking In....

Preacher

First..

Hi, I joined this board back when the Steelers and Ravens met in the AFCCG, though I never got back to post. Regardless of who won that game... THAT is how football should be played.

Anyway,

The reason I came over, is because I saw Troy P. say something about Ed Reed, and I wanted to get the read of the Raven's fans on the subject.

First, here is the video,

My link So you all don't have to gag over Steelertalk go ahead and forward to :37

Aside from the "rivalry", I am honestly interested in what you all think about Troy as compared to Reed. Is one better than the other, about the same, or are they comparable?

And, what do you all think of Troy's comments concerning Reed? Is he avoiding locker-room material, just being humble, or is there a real respect there?

(BTW- I could care less for smack and flaming. Not my reason for being here).

Guest BallTMore

There's definitely mutual respect between Ed and Troy.

I recall an article I read about two seasons ago. Ed Reed was asked who his favorite player is in the NFL, he answered Troy Polamalu.

Ravens fans are happy with Ed, Steeler fans are happy with Troy. You can't go wrong with either.

Btw, Troy is making me ill watching him play this season. Can't stand how much better he makes your defense. He's definitely making a bid for another DPOY award.

There's definitely mutual respect between Ed and Troy.

I recall an article I read about two seasons ago. Ed Reed was asked who his favorite player is in the NFL, he answered Troy Polamalu.

Ravens fans are happy with Ed, Steeler fans are happy with Troy. You can't go wrong with either.

Btw, Troy is making me ill watching him play this season. Can't stand how much better he makes your defense. He's definitely making a bid for another DPOY award.

Hmm. I missed that article. Would love to read it. That would make sense as well, as Reed has always been a class act as far as I know. You do bring up a good point though about the teams and their defenses. Troy makes our D much better, Ed Reed does the same for yours. I wonder what would happen if they switched teams? IMO, I think both of them would probably take a 20-30% hit in effectiveness (provided the teams didn't adjust for the players' style). Troy does seem to be the more instinctual player, Ed the more cerebral player.

Troy and DPOY: I don't know. Harrison is making a strong bid as well as Timmons over the first two games. Somehow, If it was awarded today, I think they may split votes and someone else would get it.

As far as Troy and Ed are concerned however, I have a feeling, QB's don't want to see either one.

Hmm. I missed that article. Would love to read it. That would make sense as well, as Reed has always been a class act as far as I know. You do bring up a good point though about the teams and their defenses. Troy makes our D much better, Ed Reed does the same for yours. I wonder what would happen if they switched teams? IMO, I think both of them would probably take a 20-30% hit in effectiveness (provided the teams didn't adjust for the players' style). Troy does seem to be the more instinctual player, Ed the more cerebral player.

Troy and DPOY: I don't know. Harrison is making a strong bid as well as Timmons over the first two games. Somehow, If it was awarded today, I think they may split votes and someone else would get it.

As far as Troy and Ed are concerned however, I have a feeling, QB's don't want to see either one.

Not sure about Troy be the more instinctual, they both have it a lot! Ed can win games with his big plays, but Troys level on bad days is better.

In 2008, I would have had Reed as DPOY. And Troy as MVP.

In a season with major defense impact. Obviously Harrison who become DPOY and Ware and early that season big AL all would have been worthy DPOYs. The two DBs did shine more than the rest that season. Reeds last 8-10 games was not was for real that season, games like against the Redskins game, it was game over after five minutes and two Reed plays, The Philly games did not help McNabbs case. And Troy he should have been the MVP that season especially in a season when QBs (Peyton too) did not have much of an impact.

I believe QBs and their OCs is more afraid of Reed who I believe is the better playmaker, but Troys energy (Like Ray Ray in 2000-3) gives so much more to his team mates. And the crazy thing is I believe they could play together and that would be a nigthmare for the rest of the league.

Edit; too early with this DPOY thing.. And we migth have something to say about this if it was decided today.

Good points everyone.

Remember though last year, that Aaron Smith was also out. He is one of the top two or three DE's in the league. Sadly, because we play the 3-4, he doesn't get the recognition (Lack of sack numbers, which is a LB responsibility in our 3-4 scheme).

On top of that, William Gay was our second starting CB. I find it interesting that after teams were able to get some game film on him, he was consistently burned last year. Rumor has it he was getting burned so bad that management had to remove all the fire-alarms in the locker rooms after games.

We also lost about 5 games last year in the last few minutes and within a fieldgoal or TD. Much of that was our inability to score a TD and kill clock with the run game.

I am not diminishing the impact of Troy, but rather, that I actually think our defense had many more problems last year. Our getting Aaron back, McFadden back, moving Gay to a place where he excels (nickle CB), Timmons rise this year, and LeBeau's new wrinkles to the scheme (he is actually rolling CB's up on the WR's at times now) have all added to the restoration of our D.

As far as QB's and OC's worrying about Ed vs. Troy, I would observe it this way: For pure passing, I think they worry more about Ed. For general disruption of the offense, I think they worry more about Troy, as they have to account for him on running plays, blitzing, and he also is very dang good on pass coverage.

One place where Ed excels over Troy however, is the homerun dagger to the heart after INTs. Troy has had two that I remember. One against the Bengals, and the other against you all in the AFCCG. Ed seems to have one about every couple of weeks.

Here is an off-shoot to this discussion--

Which is the better safety tandem, yours or ours?

(BTW, don't you all love the "you, my, etc. etc., as if ANY OF US actually played on the team? I have always laughed at that, even when I use it!).

In the past I would agree with your assesment on Ed. Over the last 3 yrs he has been hit or miss. I think some OC's game plan for him. They know he likes to freelance and I think they throw in some false flags for him to bite on and let Ed get out of position. In that Troy is everywhere from LOS to 15 yds deep and his jumping a play is defferent I don't think he is loured from the play.

In the past I would agree with your assesment on Ed. Over the last 3 yrs he has been hit or miss. I think some OC's game plan for him. They know he likes to freelance and I think they throw in some false flags for him to bite on and let Ed get out of position. In that Troy is everywhere from LOS to 15 yds deep and his jumping a play is defferent I don't think he is loured from the play.

Good point.

Gotta wonder however, is it that Ed Reed is getting caught out of position more, or is it that he is getting older, and has lost that top 1% or so of speed and reaction time? Seems like he has been injured more lately... and nobody can defy age, especially when speed is part of your position a la Willie Parker.

First off, Troy seemed genuinely truthful in that clip, so I think he does believe what he says. Ed's specialty is BAITING the Quarterback, and he is probably the best in the history of the NFL at doing that. Does that make him a better Safety then Troy overall? Not anymore. Ed once had the ability to come down and hit and also was routinely breaking up passes, but it seems that of late he has been very hit-and-miss. I can honestly say Troy is the better all-around safety at this point, and this is coming from a guy who idolizes Ed Reed. Troy makes plays on a few balls in coverage, but having him is also like having an extra linebacker on your defense, and makes Pittsburgh much tougher to run against.