ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Armchair QBing

cravnravn

3rd and inches..

Now I dont claim to know rocket science, but NE had 3 over the center, and then to add insult to injury, we go empty backfield, letting everyone know what play we were running.

I know Cam sends in the plays, but dont you think Joe could od audibled or called a time-out?

Oh and Cundiff pooching the ball out of bounds after we take a 10 pt lead, was another lift for the Patriots.

Edited by cravnravn

Crav,

Agree wholeheartedly. Dont understand the play calling and our inability to convert on those silly 3rd and 1's (only to have Brady EASILY sneak for a couple of yards. Dont know if its the play calling, scheme or effort but we are not converting on these 3rd and short plays. Its like the worst opponent - NE has a horrendous run defense - and we cant convert a measly 3rd and short. Something is seriously wrong and needs to get fixed.

While we are on it, we need to improve our running game, starting next Sunday. When a NY Jet reject Woodhead gains 6 YPC, 66 yds on 11 carries, and Ray Rice is busting his chops just to get 3 yards against a weak NE D, something isnt right.

Our running game, on both sides of the ball, needs to get fixed. Its going to be critical come November/December.

3rd and inches..

Now I dont claim to know rocket science, but NE had 3 over the center, and then to add insult to injury, we go empty backfield, letting everyone know what play we were running.

I know Cam sends in the plays, but dont you think Joe could od audibled or called a time-out?

Oh and Cundiff pooching the ball out of bounds after we take a 10 pt lead, was another lift for the Patriots.

It is just that! This is rocket science for our coaching staff and our O too.

Btw we are 0/3 for 4.down, and third and 1-2 yards has not been helping us much this season, so I am not blaiming Harbs for playing safe. Just before halftime we got it back at our own 45 yard, here our O again did nothing.

We have to get better in that disciplin, Rice has not been the answer here. Not much impact from Rice at all.

I just knew our inability to convert short yardage was gonna really bite us when it counted! Why oh why do we run QB sneak with our backfield. I'm sorry it just doesn't make sense. We have LeRon freakin McClain. The guy is big and brusing and always gets positive yardage. Whatever, one could say it's easy to say after the fact, but comon man, we've had a glaring problem for weeks now.

Problem #2 is Mr Flacco's nuts. Where the hell did they go in the 4th quarter?!?! Someone stole em cuz the guy looked like he was gonna cry. I've had enough of the QB cry baby act with Grbac. If Flacco doesn't want to throw the ball downfield to the freakin weapons he has then sit him. Bulger will I guarantee it. I don't care if the outcome will be similar, at least Bulger will try to make a throw. Checking down to Ray Rice 5 times in a row isn't even trying. How the $#@% was that supposed to win the game?!?! Get your head examined Joe, we had the freaking Patriots on the ropes. You should have audibled and you should have thrown the gad damn ball to Boldin! Nut up and start acting like an NFL QB.

There seems to be a ton of commentary from the Sun writers on whether or not Flacco even had the authority to audible out of that play. Here's a sampling:

2. Cam Cameron said a few weeks ago that audibles were overrated, and that it's more about executing the play. It's a debatable point, I suppose, but let me point out an example today where audibling absolutely could have really helped the Ravens.

With 9:15 to go in the fourth quarter, the Ravens faced a 3rd-and-short, leading 20-17. Their offense desperately needed to pick up a first down. Joe Flacco came to the line of scrimmage, looked across the line and saw three defensive tackles over the ball, sandwiched so close to Matt Birk's face, I suspect they could have counted his nose hairs. Then, for reasons impossible to justify or explain, Le'Ron McClain went in motion and came to a stop behind Marshal Yanda (just typing that sentence has me scratching my head), leaving an empty backfield.

Now, it was clear at this point that Flacco was going to run a quarterback sneak. He was leaning so far forward, it was really the only option. The Patriots were pinching the A gaps so much — the A gap is what we call the gaps between the guards and center, in case you're unfamiliar with the term — they left Ben Grubbs and Chris Chester almost uncovered. The linebackers had walked up to within a few yards of the ball. Gerard Warren and Vince Wilfork, who probably weigh 700 pounds between them, looked like two rhinoceroses ready to charge. There is simply no way a quarterback sneak up the back of the center was going to work, not with an aging center and two undersized guards leading the way.

More on that