ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

We're under Attack. Piling it on Cummings And Baltimore

vmax

We've been reading about Trumps attacks on Cummings. Trumps lifetime M O is to smear any opponent with very negative and derogatory accusations.

I was very pleased with the Mayors response and the responses of others.

U.S. Sen. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland also came to Cummings’ defense, tweeting that “Elijah Cummings grew up facing racist bullies like Trump and learned to confront them with qualities unknown to Trump: courage and integrity. The great people of Baltimore have something Trump craves but will never have as he degrades the Office of the President: dignity.”

Sanders said this a few years back. One man's perception and a limited one....

But just a few years ago, Sen. Bernie Sanders -- a candidate seeking the Democratic Party’s 2020 presidential nomination -- took his own shots at Baltimore, a struggling Northeast city grappling with high rates of violent crime, drug abuse, poverty and political corruption.

“Anyone who took the walk that we took around this neighborhood would not think you’re in a wealthy nation,” Sanders said during a visit to the city’s West Baltimore section in December 2015, the Baltimore Sun reported. “You would think that you were in a Third World country.”

The independent U.S. senator from Vermont also referred to Baltimore as “a community in which half of the people don’t have jobs.”

“We’re talking about a community in which there are hundreds of buildings that are uninhabitable,” he added, according to the Sun.

Sanders was visiting the section of Baltimore where a 25-year-old black man named Freddie Gray was arrested earlier that year for allegedly possessing an illegal knife. Gray fell into a coma while in police custody and died a few days later, sparking a national outcry against members of the city’s police department.

But all six police officers who were suspended in connection with the death either had all charges against them dropped, or were acquitted.

In 2016, Sanders posted a Twitter message about Baltimore.

“Residents of Baltimore’s poorest boroughs have lifespans shorter than people living under dictatorship in North Korea,” Sanders wrote. “That is a disgrace.”

It's not all true. Certain sections of the city feel like that to me. I have worked in them renovating neighborhoods and some of it is horrifying and absolutely depressing. My thoughts at the time were for the children growing up in this. It depressed the hell out of me. I thought, "People shouldn't be living like this. One day I showed up for work before sunrise. The whole ground was moving. It was rats. Hundreds and hundreds of them. Once the were gone, the ground was covered in broken glass, syringes, wine bottles and trash. Then the little children came out. Then the junkies. As a kid, looking at this how can you have hope? I don't blame the pissed off ones.

Let's get to the Truth. Let's get this right. Cummings in my rep and he's been great, visible and easy to access. Here's his district.........

In attacking Cummings’ district, Trump targeted not only Baltimore, where the congressman grew up, but a district whose southern edge stretches to Columbia and to rolling horse country and million-dollar homes in the north. It includes the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital, the headquarters of the NAACP and one of the nation’s wealthiest black-majority districts, with above average levels of education....https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-cummings-trump-20190727-chty2yovtvfzfcjkeaui7wm5zi-story.html

Yet generally Baltimore is one beautiful city with many great neighborhoods and attractions.....and great people. Many great people. There is more love than hate. More goodness than evil.

Unfortunately we have a sick and twisted President.

“These latest tweets reaffirm the NAACP Maryland State Conference’s position echoing the call of the National NAACP that this president must be impeached,” said Gerald Stansbury, president of the NAACP Maryland State Conference. “A nation is judged by how it treats its most vulnerable citizens, and we are ashamed of his rhetoric. America deserves a president who lifts our cities up, not one who heaps trash talk on them.”

:bow: " Even Baltimore’s own filmmaker John Waters chimed in the discussion, telling ArtNEWS “Give me the rats and roaches of Baltimore any day over the lies and racism of your Washington, Mr Trump. Come on over to that neighborhood and see if you have the nerve to say it in person!” :thumbup:

Wow. Another media BS smear of BErnie to me. He actually walked the city and talked with ppl. And yes the area he toured was around the area Freddy Grey was from. Sandtown is really pretty bad but getting better. A UN observer concluded parts of Alabama and Miss were third world like with open sewage and such. The country in most places is the haves walled off from the have nots.

Like I said on FB King Cheeto has no place to talk.

:bow: "The Baltimore Sun responded on Saturday to President Donald Trump's comments calling its hometown a "rodent infested mess" where "no human being would want to live" in a scathing editorial titled, "Better to have a few rats than to be one"....In its editorial, which ran in the paper's Sunday print edition, the Sun responded to the president by calling him, "the most dishonest man to ever occupy the Oval Office, the mocker of war heroes, the gleeful grabber of women’s private parts, the serial bankrupter of businesses, the useful idiot of Vladimir Putin and the guy who insisted there are 'good people' among murderous neo-Nazis."

The Sun said Trump is "stll not fooling most Americans into believing he’s even slightly competent in his current post. Or that he possesses a scintilla of integrity.

"Better to have some vermin living in your neighborhood than to be one."............"He was returning to an old standby of attacking an African American lawmaker from a majority black district on the most emotional and bigoted of arguments," the Sun's editorial board said. "It was only surprising that there wasn’t room for a few classic phrases like 'you people' or 'welfare queens' or 'crime-ridden ghettos' or a suggestion that the congressman 'go back' to where he came from."............https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/28/baltimore-sun-editorial-responds-trump-remarks/1851017001/

Here's the full editorial. It's really good.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-0728-trump-baltimore-20190727-k6ac4yvnpvcczlaexdfglifada-story.html

Edited by vmax

The Sun editorial was great. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Mueller's testimony made him look bad then three days later Trump attacks a black congressman and criticizes his district. Sadly it's worked, even some decent people I know said things like "well he's got a point". Fuck that, just because a rascist attack might arguably have some truth, doesn't mean it's justified.

Sanders comments weren't mean spirited to me.

Take that! MoFo!..........

The Department of Public Works in Baltimore said it has seen major improvements in the city's rat problem over the past two years.

Officials with DPW said they have worked the past two years to create healthier living conditions in the city's public housing as part of the Healthy Elimination of All Pests Long-Term Campaign.

The department released multiple facts to back their claims. Officials said they have increased inspections from 100,000 to 160,000 per year. Through those inspections, officials said they reduced identified rat burrows by nearly 85%, from 1,863 to 282.

DPW officials credit the inspections for a decrease in 311 calls for rat abatement by 38% in the past two years. They said other East Coast cities have seen increases in the same time period.

Officials said the best way to continue controlling the rat population is to bag trash and place it in designated green city trash cans and to report illegal dumping to 311..........https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rat-burrows-have-decreased-over-80percent-in-baltimore-dpw-says/ar-AAF4VYw?ocid=U508DHP

stop-hating-paint-grunge-sign-vector-637

Some startling stats.......

The announcement came as new analysis from a conservative policy group, Princeton Policy Advisors, said Baltimore's murder rate is higher than the rate in three of the most dangerous countries in the world -- El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.

Princeton Policy Advisors conducted its analysis after President Donald Trump criticized Baltimore. The Washington Examiner reported Baltimore's murder rate is 56 per 100,000 and that the city is on track for 340 homicides this year. Citing the Princeton Policy Advisors analysis, The Washington Examiner reported the murder rate was 50 in El Salvador per 100,000, 22 in Guatemala and 38 in Honduras......https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feds-announce-significant-arrests-white-house-tweets-about-baltimore-murder-rate/ar-AAFbSvN?ocid=U508DHP

Any media outlet running stories about how good or bad Baltimore is in response to Trump's tweets is just chasing the narrative he wanted them too. It was not a good faith criticism of the city or Cummings. It was a (another) racist attack against a rival. That's the story and should remain the story.

Pointing out the city's problems as a justification of his racist attack is just wrong IMO.

Really sad...this is why Republicans care.....

“The GOP needs to make several moves such as universal background checks, eliminating loopholes and banning military-style assault weapons to neutralize the issue,” he said. “Otherwise, Republicans will lose suburban voters just like they did in the midterms on health care.”....https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-fear-extinction-in-the-suburbs-over-gun-control/ar-AAFpy1s?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=U508DHP

Rather thanthis is the right thing, to do they don't want to lose voters.