ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I never heard these rumors

papasmurfbell

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/02/no_truth_to_ravens_buying_out_ray_lewis_contract.html

No truth to Ravens buying out Ray Lewis' contract

There have been a lot of rumors swirling about the Ravens offering linebacker Ray Lewis a financial package to retire, but Lewis laughed about that option, and Newsome also said it wasn't true.

"We just had our personnel meetings this week, and Ray hasn't told any off our defensive staff he was retiring," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The last I heard from Ray he stood up at the end-of-the-year meeting and told his teammates that he had already begun to prepare for next season."

At the Pro Bowl, Lewis did his usual recruiting for the Ravens to lure some free agents here to Baltimore.

Why not both? Isn't that the glory of the system... you draft young players, which anyone can do, and you sign veterans?

I think we have too many holes to fill to just use one way or the other. We need both. We need an OLB, a MLB replacement for Ray to groom, an OT, a WR, a C and possibly a CB. The odds of finding good ones all in the draft seem minimal to me. You might succeed in getting one or two.

Why not both? Isn't that the glory of the system... you draft young players, which anyone can do, and you sign veterans?

In order to acquire some of these Vets, we've made trades and lost draft picks as a result. I know FA doesn't require that we make trades however, I want the FA acquisitions to be less high dollar guys and more filler type guys. Example would be, no Samari Rolle, sign a Justin Bannon type guy instead. Instead of overpaying for Foxworth, let's draft a few corners and have them compete, develop them into players. Let's trade back in the draft to acquire more picks either this year or next. Signing Vets also counts heavily against the cap, and I assume it will next year as well. I don't mind bargain Vets as the Jets have done, but I'm tired of breaking the bank on average players like Foxworth, Washington, Rolle, etc.

I really liked the addition of Carr, Bannon, and other such role players, we got em cheap. But that's what in my opinion FA should be for, picking up role players, not major acquisitions. I feel if everything lines up just right, maybe go after a highly regarded FA or trade, however I think this team needs to shift their focus to the draft and acquiring picks. We also need to get back to drafting solid players. Oz has fallen in love with taking reaches on guys. (Yes I do realize it's the draft, however Oz has routinely passed on highly regarded players that would be solid, not spectacular, football players in favor of those guys that aren't football ready but they could be amazing if they realize their potential.) What I want to see is Oz taking one chance per draft. Pick his favorite 2-3 guys that he would like to take a chance on, and only get ONE of them. The rest of the draft, trade back, acquire more picks if possible, and build the roster through the draft. Let Ray Lewis lead these young guys. Let's get some hungry players on this team instead of Vets who are typically not with their team for a reason.

The reason you rely more on drafting than FA's is because it is much more reliable. There is a reason why the Squeelers and Pats have won 50% and appeared in 70% of all the Super Bowls since the ravens won theirs. They have a method to sustained winning. It should be copied, tweaked, and perfected. If not the Ravens can be perennial also rans.

Building through the draft is the ideal way to go. It requires patience though because you can't fill all your holes in one draft. If we're willing to take a chance on missing the playoffs for a year or two while we rebuild through the draft then it might work. The problem I see is that some of our 'foundation' players like Ray Lewis and Reed are getting old. Therefore, we probably need to go both the FA and draft route to keep hopes alive for a solid playoff run year in and year out.

Also, Ozzie (and I count myself an Ozzie fan) needs to get his mojo back in our drafts. The last one didn't supply any starters at all.

Building through the draft is the ideal way to go. It requires patience though because you can't fill all your holes in one draft. If we're willing to take a chance on missing the playoffs for a year or two while we rebuild through the draft then it might work. The problem I see is that some of our 'foundation' players like Ray Lewis and Reed are getting old. Therefore, we probably need to go both the FA and draft route to keep hopes alive for a solid playoff run year in and year out.

Also, Ozzie (and I count myself an Ozzie fan) needs to get his mojo back in our drafts. The last one didn't supply any starters at all.

I agree. There is an issue of patience on the fans side that needs to be exercised.

As to trading back in this draft being smart in who you pick also is needed. There were huge red flags with Kindle. Ozzie did not have to take him. You can't lay the header down the stairs at Ozzie's feet though.

I knew Cody would suck. I said before drafted him.

He is lazy. I really think he will eat himself out of the league.

I wasn't alone in that tread.

Pre-combine NFL draft board

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/02/23/combine.45/1.html

terrence-cody-p1.jpg

Alabama product Terrence Cody arrived at the Senior Bowl in poor condition, and must get into better shape in the coming weeks

With Dickson I think it is a problem with this franchise sitting on new guys. They don't let them play then suddenly need them to step in because of injury. Why expect them to stand up doing that?

It only took 4 years for Carr to become a half-decent cornerback on this team. Great signing.

Carr has always been a nickel back, and a decent one, he's also good on ST. Carr is and always will be a role player, from FA, those are the types of guys we should look to obtain. Our core guys, our guys we want to build a team around, should be home grown and should be from the draft. No need to break the bank and mortgage the future for the Big FAs.

Imagine the contributions that might have come if we drafted solid football players this year.

1. We didn't get one down from our reach in the 2nd round.

2. Our reach at DT didn't play what 30% of the snaps all year.

3. How about our double TE draft? I'm sure that will be useful.

Oz needs to draft some solid football players, let's stop falling in love with potential and taking flyers.

I support Art Model's model for building a team through the draft and signing Free Agents selectively.

This team needs to get younger and faster.

I've given up on Kindle but not Cody. Dickson is starting material and Pita will be a contributer.

Ozzie has missed on drafting corners and receivers.He finally got the QB.

Edited by vmax

I wouldn't say he has missed on CB's. He hit with Cmac and Webb looks to be solid at worst. Starks was a system guy. Pittman and Jenkins are the only misses that I see. You will not hit on all of them.

At WR I agree. The only way to combat that is avoid questionable players like you do for every position and keep casting trying to pull in a keeper.

Jermain was solid as an extra WR. Stokely was a very solid WR when healthy.

Patrick Johnson was at best OK.

TT was taken way to high. I still don't get why they traded up from 15 to grab TT at 10.

Ron Johnson sucked. The whole 2004 Ravens WR class was awful. Schaub was drafted 8 spots after DVD and Shaun Phillips went 16.

I never liked Clayton coming out of OU. He would disappear in big games. Guess what every game in the NFL is big. Roddy White went 5 picks after Clayton. That soon was followed by Luis Castillo, Heath Miller, Logan Mankins, Michael Roos, and Lofa Tatupu.

Dwil was just soft. Maybe they should stay away from Oregon WR's like you should from UF ones. Man just looking at who comes just after him it is sad. Leon Washington, Stephen Gostkowski, Brandon Marshall, and Elvis Dumervil are within about 12 picks of him.

Figures was a total bust. Following him was Matt Spaeth and Mike Sims-Walker. All in all that was a weak draft league wide.

Marcus Smith has been a good special teams guy. Maybe he will be good on offense in time.

David Reed showed signs of being good. I liked guys like Carlton Mitchell, Arthur Moats, Dan LeFevour, Dezmon Briscoe, Antonio Brown(who burned the Ravens), Joe Webb, Tony Pike, Myron Rolle, Syd'Quan Thompson, and Erik Cook who followed him.

I wouldn't say he has missed on CB's. He hit with Cmac and Webb looks to be solid at worst. Starks was a system guy. Pittman and Jenkins are the only misses that I see. You will not hit on all of them.

At WR I agree. The only way to combat that is avoid questionable players like you do for every position and keep casting trying to pull in a keeper.

Jermain was solid as an extra WR. Stokely was a very solid WR when healthy.

Patrick Johnson was at best OK.

TT was taken way to high. I still don't get why they traded up from 15 to grab TT at 10.

Ron Johnson sucked. The whole 2004 Ravens WR class was awful. Schaub was drafted 8 spots after DVD and Shaun Phillips went 16.

I never liked Clayton coming out of OU. He would disappear in big games. Guess what every game in the NFL is big. Roddy White went 5 picks after Clayton. That soon was followed by Luis Castillo, Heath Miller, Logan Mankins, Michael Roos, and Lofa Tatupu.

Dwil was just soft. Maybe they should stay away from Oregon WR's like you should from UF ones. Man just looking at who comes just after him it is sad. Leon Washington, Stephen Gostkowski, Brandon Marshall, and Elvis Dumervil are within about 12 picks of him.

Figures was a total bust. Following him was Matt Spaeth and Mike Sims-Walker. All in all that was a weak draft league wide.

Marcus Smith has been a good special teams guy. Maybe he will be good on offense in time.

David Reed showed signs of being good. I liked guys like Carlton Mitchell, Arthur Moats, Dan LeFevour, Dezmon Briscoe, Antonio Brown(who burned the Ravens), Joe Webb, Tony Pike, Myron Rolle, Syd'Quan Thompson, and Erik Cook who followed him.

I agree with you completely. We've missed on a bunch lately. I think David Reed is still in the mix but we have to give the young guys opportunity to play too.