ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Day 2 Rounds 2 and 3

vmax

Stephen Furst dead: Animal House star dies at 63 | EW.com"What's the Day 2 plan Eric?"

Image result for Eric DeCosta Draft "Excuse me for a second. This guys ears are distracting me." Image result for Eric DeCosta Draft

OK...I'm focused again....“We do think that we’re going to get two really good players in the third round,” DeCosta said. “I think we feel really good as a team right now and what our choices will be tomorrow. So we’ll probably wait.”

Ravens start draft with patience and a plan, leave first round with a ‘significant’ tandem - Baltimore Sun

Best GM in the game "Is there somebody other than the ER janitor who I can talk too? image.jpeg.1c5418cda09b13a16fae9e5b3b2258e4.jpeg "huh?'

image.jpeg.b864a87886ddf69441abcf0ea7072b3b.jpeg "Eric, he's already been informed that fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life. However, those are highly sought qualities if you want to be a poster here."

Eric DeCosta: It's Time to Draft  "Got it.......OK...

Moving into the second round would require a 30-spot leap.

"Well, that costs a lot of money, and I'm not really willing to spend that money most likely," DeCosta said after Thursday's first round. "I mean, never say never, but to move up from where we are in the third round is probably prohibitive. We do think that we're going to get two really good players in the third round at 94 and 104. We've had a lot of success in the third round over the years. I think we feel really good as a team right now and what our choices will be tomorrow (Friday). So, we'll probably wait."

image.jpeg.eab70a6245b8cb18a282103ec3455dc5.jpeg "Your thoughts Jason?"

hensley_jamison.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop "Other than you look like you could lose a few pounds.... but  I really like your jacket and hat.  OK....The Ravens will look to address offensive line, safety and defensive line on Day 2, when Baltimore has two picks late in the third round. The Ravens’ second-round pick was sent to the Kansas City Chiefs as part of the Brown trade. Will GM Eric DeCosta think about moving up into the second round? "That costs a lot of money and I’m not really willing to spend that money most likely,” he said...Baltimore Ravens NFL draft picks 2021: Analysis for every selection - Baltimore Ravens- ESPN.

Edited by vmax

43 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

Zeiring is a really poor mock evaluator.

That's why we use him.

Long wait tonight until 3rd round. It's killing me watching all these great prospects go off the board in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, papasmurfbell said:

The draft tracker from nfl.coom is a giant pain in the ass.  It does not like to update the new picks.  It didnt do that in past yrs.

Last night it was updating within a minute for me. Maybe you should upgrade your 2008 computer....get some ram...video processor...new mother board...fan cooling.

image.jpeg.e08f38492185a9b0fd83adcf3c3664cd.jpeg

Ben Cleveland

Prospect Info

COLLEGE
Georgia
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Toccoa, GA
R-Senior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 6"
343 lbs
33 3/4"
HANDS
9 7/8"
Cleveland was a top-125 recruit nationally after earning a spot on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super 11 team as a senior. He started the final five games of his redshirt freshman season at right guard after playing in the first 10 as a reserve. The following season, Cleveland started the first four games at right guard before missing six contests with a leg fracture that did not require surgery. He returned for spot duty in the final four games. Cleveland started seven of 13 games played at right guard in 2019, missing the Sugar Bowl because he was academically ineligible. Finally getting a chance as a regular starter (nine games) in 2020, he garnered third-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-SEC honors for his play at right guard. Cleveland joined several teammates in opting out of the team's bowl game. He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter
Strengths
  • Massive human with well-distributed mass.
  • Big, powerful and well-proportioned.
  • Adequate athleticism for a guard with his build.
  • Smooth coming out of his stance and into run fits.
  • Hip flexion and bend help with pad level.
  • Lays a big pop with hip and flipper on secure blocks.
  • Mass to occupy defender on quick-hitting run plays.
  • Hard to navigate one-on-one pass pro due to size.
  • Power and length to protect his edge.
Weaknesses
  • Feet get too close together in his slides.
  • Stiff-kneed in pass sets.
  • Moves too heavily for consistent mirroring.
  • Slow to swivel head and find darting rushers.
  • Sluggish hands make him second into run punch.
  • Good first contact, but doesn't consistently run through block.
  • Allows linebackers to work away from his clutches.
  • Needs to do better at working his feet for positioning post-strike.
  • Forward-leaning drive blocks cause balance inconsistencies.

Just now, papasmurfbell said:

Thoughts on Cleveland?  Good program.  I liked a little out of that highlight reel on tv.  He doesnt look all that athletic though.

I wouldn't want to &$@^$ with him.

105199.png&h=64&w=64&scale=crop
6'6"343 lbsGeorgia
9POS RK
132OVR RK
66GRADE

Pre-Draft Analysis

Cleveland has outstanding size and long arms, and he ran faster than expected at his pro day. He's a powerful run-blocker who does a good job with his angles and is effective combo-blocking up to the second level. He has a powerful punch and rarely gives ground in pass pro. -- Steve Muench

BAL
Round 3 • Pick 31 (94)
SEE ALL

The ultra-strong interior blocker from Georgia whips defenders at the line of scrimmage with his combination of strength and power. Cleveland lacks elite movement skills but his ability to move bodies at the point of attack makes him an intriguing option as a potential starter for the Ravens.

1 minute ago, papasmurfbell said:

That writeup doesnt sound like things that cant be worked on.  

Most of these guys you wouldnt want to but that doesnt mean they ca play football.

Put Bozeman at center and him at guard....nobody's getting through the middle.

Head Scratcher...

Prospect Info

COLLEGE
SMU
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Plano, TX
R-Senior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 0"
213 lbs
32"
HANDS
9 3/4"

Overview
Stephens is big, strong and athletic and his position switch from running back to cornerback two years ago means he should keep improving at his craft. He flashes, but he is still in the very early stages of learning the position. The basic fundamentals of press, route recognition and finding positioning will take time to develop, but his traits make him an intriguing draft and stash developmental prospect. He has special teams coverage potential to help him play right away and he could come off the board on Day 3.
Strengths
  • Desired combination of size and athletic ability.
  • Limber hips with easy turn and sprint talent.
  • Still learning position with improvement likely.
  • Had 22 passes defensed in two years at the position.
  • Balance to gather and leap from trailing position.
  • Fights hard at the catch point.
  • Physical traits and tools to improve as a tackler.
  • Comes up and puts heavy pads into his strikes.
  • Demonstrated kick cover toughness and talent in 2020.
Weaknesses
  • Very raw and behind on his fundamentals at cornerback.
  • Press technique and confidence to mirror are lacking.
  • Route recognition is way below average.
  • Below-average coverage angles allow too much space for wideout.
  • Mental busts are part of the package right now.
  • Needs to get off blocks quicker in run support.
  • Still learning angles and technique as a tackler.

They have 2 good safeties so he's a special teams/development safety project??? "See you down the road" guy in the 2nd round??? "Not a good tackler safety????

Trust Eric again?

105303.png&h=64&w=64&scale=crop
6'0"213 lbsSMU
29POS RK
236OVR RK
39GRADE

Pre-Draft Analysis

Stephens is a converted running back with good size, longer arms and good instincts for a two-year starter. He doesn't have much top-end speed. He's at his best in press man, where he can use his length and strength to reroute receivers. He has some upside in run support. but he's not a great tackler in the open field. -- Steve Muench

Edited by vmax

This is going to take some work but I'm trying to warm up to this guy. Somehow Eric saw a "Raven" in Brandon and I want to give him a chance.

What Stephens said: "I've always had a love for defense and playing DB. I played it a little bit in high school, so that's where my love for the position really started. I just felt like it was the better option for me. I felt like that's where my head was at and where my passion was at. … There was a lot of doubters when I made the move. Some people didn't understand why I was making the move, but I did. This just goes to prove what I saw and what my vision was going forward."

Brandon Stephens

Senior (2020): Played and started all 10 games... Registered 43 tackles (36 solo), including one for loss... Had a conference leading 10 PBUs and one interception... Added one fumble recovery and one QBH... AWARDS: NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Invite... NFF Hampshire Honor Society... Preseason: Phil Steele Fourth-Team All-AAC.

Junior (2019): Started all 13 games... Registered 49 tackles (38 solo), including 2.5 TFLs... Led the team with 12 pass breakups (2nd AAC)... AWARDS: American Athletic Conference All-Academic Team.

2018 (at UCLA): Saw action in two games.

2017 (Sophomore at UCLA): Saw action in 12 games… Registered 182 yards on 46 carries… Scored one touchdown… Had a season-high 83 rush yards and 20 carries against Cal… Caught eight passes for 69 yards.

2016 (Freshman at UCLA): Saw action in seven games… Had a season-high 71 rushing yards against UNLV… Caught four passes four 39 yards.

Prep: A four-star recruit by Scout.com and three-star by ESPN and Rivals.com… Rushed for 1,389 and 15 touchdowns on 222 attempts as a senior… An All-State selection… Registered seven 100-yard rushing games and three 200-yard games… Caught 11 passes for 151 yards… Had 196 carries for 1,268 yards and 21 TDs as a junior and added 991 yards as a sophomore.

Personal: Member of the Athletic Director’s Academic Honor Roll in high school… Relative Alexis Hornbuckle won an NCAA women’s basketball title (Tennessee) and a WNBA title (Detroit Shock).

Stephens was a former running back at UCLA before transferring to SMU in 2019. Last season, he started all 10 games for SMU, finishing with 43 tackles (36 solo), including one for loss. He also led the conference with 10 pass breakups and had one interception, one fumble recovery and a quarterback hit. :gorave:

He’ll provide depth behind starters Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters.

“They’re great at what they do,” Stephens said. “I have a ton to learn ... just to better my game. I can’t wait to get into that room with them and help the organization win games.”

DeCosta expects Stephens to make an impact on special teams and also play some safety.

“A lot of upside potential. The kind of player that we look for,” DeCosta said.

The Ravens received the 104th selection as a compensatory pick for former assistant David Culley, who was hired as the head coach of the Houston Texans earlier this offseason.....Patient Ravens get players they 'targeted' on Day 2 of draft (msn.com)

Brandon Stephens accomplished a lot in his first season at SMU. He became a good cornerback, after transitioning from running back at UCLA. He became a team captain and earned the honorary No. 23 for his senior season. But in the first quarter of SMU’s game at North Texas, Stephens picked up his first career interception. Austin Aune had been subbed into the game at quarterback for the Mean Green. And with SMU up by 14, he was leading the first methodical drive of the game. But his look to the end zone was caught by a leaping Stephens in the far right corner. SMU got the ball back, and scored on the subsequent drive. :gorave:SMU cornerback convert Brandon Stephens grabs his first career interception vs. North Texas (dallasnews.com)

Brandon_Stephens_UNT_71.JPG

Edited by vmax

Now...Ben Cleveland is one big brawler...

https://nv.vi-serve.com/vis-media/110/381/89G8GXkBB4amCadCQXQC_720p.mp4

https://nv.vi-serve.com/vis-media/110/381/gGa_-3gB32kIsH9Rct0V_720p.mp4

HEIGHT: 6'6¼"

WEIGHT: 343

POSITIVES

—Enormous frame with a barrel chest, broad shoulders and a rocked up, well-rounded build

—Generates consistent movement at the point of attack in Georgia’s inside-zone, duo and power-heavy schemes

—Does an excellent job covering up and being heavy on double-teams to knock the 3-technique on their heels and delivers major pop to cave the nose tackle in before his climb to the second level

—Effective puller to his left with enough quickness and agility to get on his horse, line up and kick out the end man on the line or transition to a log block to seal them inside

—Stout anchor with an ironhead that he uses often to stun oncoming defenders and stop them in their tracks

—Very good mental processing to key and diagnose a variety of stunts, twists and late loopers

OVERALL

Cleveland is an enormous dude with a great looking build, excellent play strength and an ultra-physical playing style that is best suited in a gap/power/inside zone oriented run scheme where he is asked to predominantly generate vertical displacement and play downhill.

He processes line games, stunts and blitzes quickly so the mental demands of playing inside aren’t too much for him, but he is scheme dependent due to adequate movement skills and has questions about his commitment to the game that need to be answered.

2021 NFL Draft: Guard Ben Cleveland, Georgia, Round 3, Pick 94, Press Conference (baltimoreravens.com)

"This is a big, strong, powerful guy who likes to rough people up, and that's how we want to play," Harbaugh said.

Edited by vmax