ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

RIP John Mackey

cravnravn

I was fortunate to watch him for his whole career...yea...I'm old... :)...1st row of the upper deck on the 40 yard line at the Worlds Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum.

John revolutionized the TE position. Incredible athelete.

A great man...kind and generous...it's so sad how he spent his final years.

I hope this new NFL agreement takes care of their retired players because John never got back from the game what he put into it.

I hope this new NFL agreement takes care of their retired players because John never got back from the game what he put into it.

Unfortunately its not going to happen according to Tom Matte, he was mad as hell on the radio yesterday, the old timers didnt get a say in this new Union Pres. and Gene Upshaw really did the old timers an injustice. There needed to be a continious flow of donations from the current players to the pension fund. When Mackey was Pres he fought and won a contract that put 11 million dollars directly into the pension fund back then, but after his term was done the new regime kicked sand into the old timers face and gave very little. and thats where the snowball effect started.

During my time in the Union, we always gave atleast .02 per hour worked into the pension fund, it dosent sound like alot but when you multiply it by 100,000 workers x 40 hrs a work per week it becomes significant.

I think I just seen Unitas hit Mackey down the seam for 6

I'm old too and remember John Mackey as the greatest TE I've ever seen. When he caught a pass downfield, it was like watching a bulldozer run over tacklers.

And I agree, the players and NFL do need to do more to take care of their retired vets.