ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

They tried to make her go the rehab...

Guest BallTMore

But she said, no...no...no...

Breaking news: Amy Winehouse found dead in her London appt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-dead--Found-dead-London-flat.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Like nobody saw this coming. Really not a big deal to me. Her "music" was horrid, and she makes Lady Gaga look attractive.

I swear to God, aside from country, music died back around the year 2000.

I am amazed she lived as long as she did. I think she had a great voice, but I only knew a few songs.

I think music as a whole is much much better than it was 10 and 15 years ago. At least partially because there are so many ways for artists to get their music out that they do not have to be huge and get ton of airplay to be successful.

I think music as a whole is much much better than it was 10 and 15 years ago.

I think you're hitting the pipe too hard.

A big hand for Amy joining the 27 club. It is a true feat.

I think she had a very good voice. That band they set up for her was great.

Great? Really?

Get a grip dude. There hasn't been any music worth mention in over a decade unless you're a Justin Beiber fan.

Real music is dead. All the chords have been played. All the lyrics have been written. Nothing is left.

I think you're hitting the pipe too hard.

And I think you sound like pretty much every other middle aged or older man in the last 70 years when asked about the current state of music versus what it was earlier in his life.

For me personally, I thought the 90s were terrible for music and think its better now. Again, that may be because I can hear a lot more music in different places and do not have to listen to whomever top 40 radio or MTV is deciding to shove down peoples throats.

I will say I wouldnt argue that top 40 or hits radio is any better now than it was 10-15 years ago, though I also do not think I'd argue its worse.

Guest BallTMore
A big hand for Amy joining the 27 club. It is a true feat.

That's the only thing she had in common was the age she died. She was nowhere near the level of Morrison, Hendrix, Cobain, or Joplin.

Winehouse was cute before she stared smoking crack. Why people do that to themselves is beyond my comprehension. Lessons should be learned from seeing this over and over again with the same result.

amy-winehouse-before-drugs.jpg

amy_winehouse-1095.jpg

Crack is whack, kids!

rwnh5g.jpg

For me personally, I thought the 90s were terrible for music and think its better now.

And I think you're damaged goods. Who the hell do you have to brag on? Seriously.

I'm not bragging on anyone, nor do I care to. Geez, its just my opinion. Insult me some more.

Oh hell no. You clearly stated that music today is better than it was years ago, and I called bullshit. You brought nothing to the plate for argument, and for that I will insult your lame ass all day long.

You're playing with the big boys here. It's put up or shut up time, so where do you stand?

Oh hell no. You clearly stated that music today is better than it was years ago, and I called bullshit. You brought nothing to the plate for argument, and for that I will insult your lame ass all day long.

You're playing with the big boys here. It's put up or shut up time, so where do you stand?

I'll stand with 'go fuck yourself old man'. I merely stated an opinion different from yours, I didn't insult you or your viewpoint and I wasn't looking for an argument. Most grown ups can have differing viewpoints and opinions without arguing about them or insulting each other over them. I guess not you so argue with yourself asshole.

Playing with the big boys? You're acting like a child.

I'll stand with 'go fuck yourself old man'. I merely stated an opinion different from yours, I didn't insult you or your viewpoint and I wasn't looking for an argument. Most grown ups can have differing viewpoints and opinions without arguing about them or insulting each other over them. I guess not you so argue with yourself asshole.

Playing with the big boys? You're acting like a child.

I'm acting like a child? All I asked was you to back up your statement:

I think music as a whole is much much better than it was 10 and 15 years ago.

Don't sweat it. I know you've got nothing. :laugh:

I'm acting like a child? All I asked was you to back up your statement:

Don't sweat it. I know you've got nothing. :laugh:

Yeah all you did was ask me to back up my statement after a number of posts where you insult me and in a post where you insult me. I called you on it then you claim you just wanted me to back up my statement. I kind of already gave some reasons why I think music as a whole is better and you either couldn't understand it or didn't agree so you resorted to insults. You were just acting like a child and being an asshole so do not pretend you were acting that way because I didn't back up the imaginary argument we were having in your head.

I see no reason to change my stand of 'go fuck yourself old man'.

I can fill in for a moment...

I think 10 years ago music was crap. So was 15 years ago. But I think there is a nice resurgence if you know where to look and how to look outside of the Top 40.

Dawes (last two years)

Mumford and Sons (last two years)

Ingrid Michelson (last 5 years)

The Civil Wars (brand new)

Robert Randolph (been around a while, but bigger recently)

The Black Keys (around a little while)

The Avett Brothers (around a little while)

If you need more 'pop' like music, Michael Franti - who pushes the Top 40 - makes better music than the likes of most you hear regularly. Clean, fun, energetic.

And if you can't find anything on that list you like... you don't like music. It covers everything from good old fashioned rock to blues to pop to more alternative to more country/bluegrass based.

Guest BallTMore

Dawes (last two years)

Mumford and Sons (last two years)

Ingrid Michelson (last 5 years)

The Civil Wars (brand new)

Robert Randolph (been around a while, but bigger recently)

The Black Keys (around a little while)

The Avett Brothers (around a little while)

I like some of Mumford and Sons, and the Black Keys. The rest of that list I've never heard. Guess I'll have to check them out.

The Black Keys and Mumford have an old school sound, which sounds fresh to the younger crowd today, so minus the crazy rant against Spen, Billy may have a point about today's music not being that great. *shrugs*

I don't agree that Mumford sounds older. They are pretty damn unique. Black Keys - I see some relations to older stuff, but not a ton. Dawes has a very old, almost Eagles (less pop-ish than the Eagles) sound to them. But fresh as well.

If Bob Dylan made music today that sounded good ... would you say it doesn't count as today's music because it was similar to his past music and he was old? No. It would be today's music. There is plenty of great music out there today. And Spen's point is still correct. Compare 1995-2005 to 2006 to Present... and I'd take 06 to Present. Easily. In fact, I'd also take today over most music made in the 80's and early 90's. There are exceptions, of course, but overall - meh.

Bottom line - the Top 40 of today is pretty awful. But there is real and good music being made and listened to.

I didn't name any artists I like now because it really wasn't my intention argue what music (or when) was better, and I figure whomever I would have listed would have just been put down. I know and enjoy a few on your list DC and will look up the others.

Maybe I would have been happier with music 10-15 years ago if I would have had the outlets to search beyond what radio and MTV etc were playing back then. Satellite radio, Youtube, Pandora and other outlets have really helped me find a lot more stuff I like.

Of all the artists mentioned in this thread if I had to pick one that was the biggest throwback I would pick the person this thread was started about, Amy Winehouse.

Guess her and Anne Nicole are tag teaming Michael Jackson right about now.

Steely Dan Rocks!!!!!!

Aja was an epic album. Imagine a rock band today to write the song, pick up instruments and play the song, then turn around and sing the song! I doubt that kind of talent will ever reappear again

Crav we were blessed to live in a time of real song writers. People who could play instruments and sing songs without electronic auto tune.

No wonder the industry is dying.

hey Billy, we drove up to Atlantic City last year to see Donald Fagan, Boz Scaggs, and Michael McDonald in concert, what a friiggin concert, it was probably #2 all time best for me, Earth Wind & Fire in the 80's will always be #1.

Steely Dan is in concert the end of this month at the Borgata in AC, we might last minute it and go up for the night..Fagan is a beast.

Spen,

I understood. I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Bengal Bill... any comment on my list of artists? Personally, I think a good portion of what people think was "good" music in the 70s was pretty boring. Plenty of it was fantastic, of course, but plenty of "classic rock" that gets major play is just as crappy as modern pop.

Listen to Mumford and Sons and tell me they can't play their music or rely on autotune. Or even that they don't write it. Same with Robert Randolph. Randolph might be the one of the 5 best guitarists alive right now.