ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Grade Eric

vmax

When the season ended a year ago the Ravens were left with a ton on injured players and many weaknesses on this roster. Eric had his work cut out for him.

Here's an article I read this morning that basically outlines the mountain he had to climb....

"Jeff Zrebiec (Ravens): I’d give Ravens GM Eric DeCosta a solid B, and it would be even higher if not for the curious approach at wide receiver, where Baltimore didn’t really replace the traded Marquise Brown and left themselves vulnerable to an injury. Sure enough, No. 1 receiver Rashod Bateman went down with a season-ending foot injury. Otherwise, DeCosta has done a nice job building a deep roster that has withstood numerous injuries to key performers. You can fixate on the Ravens’ shortcomings or talk about how unimpressive they’ve looked at times this season if you want. But they are 9-4, and they’ve won six of their last seven games despite being without quarterback Lamar Jackson for two games and counting, top running backs J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards for nearly two-thirds of the season, Bateman since October and left tackle Ronnie Stanley for more than half the season. Defensively, outside linebackers Tyus Bowser and Justin Houston, nose tackle Michael Pierce, cornerback Kyle Fuller and safety Marcus Williams were all out for prolonged stretches, and Pierce and Fuller remain sidelined. DeCosta made a host of late offseason or in-season additions, including Houston, Jason Pierre-Paul, Demarcus Robinson, DeSean Jackson and Kenyan Drake, who have helped the team stay afloat. And the team’s draft class, led by Kyle Hamilton, Tyler Linderbaum and Isaiah Likely, has mostly delivered. DeCosta deserves solid marks.  AFC North Whiparound: Grading the GMs, touting unsung heroes, picks and more - The Athletic

What is your grade for Eric?

Is this year's roster deeper?

Getting injured players back does not count in the grade for Eric.

Signing Williams and trading for Smith are A++ moves. One with a caveat, if Smith is signed or not.

After that, his draft so far brings the grade down, way down. Owe has not shown much, granted they use him more in pass coverage, and to eat up blockers to free up rushers. Still, he was drafted to get sacks, pressures, fail.

Drafting Cleveland a good move, he has shown great promise when given the chance.

Mason has been a bust even for a 5th rounder, Wallace, I was high on him but for what ever reason, he has not played much in a wr needy offense.

Hayes, another defender that has not turned up much at all.

Hamilton has been slightly better than I thought (I thought him a bust if you remember). Still struggles in coverage, but blitzes well.

Ojaba, in a year when the team needed a pass rusher desperately and wide out help, they draft an injured project. Jury has to be out since he has not come back from the injury.

So far, his A++ has been dropped, IMHO, to a B- maybe a C+.

Again, it all hinges on Smith, Ojab, and Owe. If Smith walks and the other 2 never provide what they were highly drafted for, he could get  D.

Can't fault him too much for wide out issues, they've been a part of this team since inception, since Jackson and Alexander (both drafted by Ozzie in Cleveland) left.

Solid B from me. Look at how many good players he has brought in. This roster is deep. Depth made them competitive last year. 

I will admit that he has some misses too. 

Looking at every Baltimore Ravens draft pick under GM Eric DeCosta (usatoday.com)

Stoudt is always missing from these lists, yet he fills an important need. He needs to develop and improve. He can be better.

This guy might be a Hall of Famer one day....

May be an image of 2 people, people playing football and text that says 'tylerlinderbaum Rookie Tyler Linderbaum adapted well to the physicality of his first Ravens-Steelers matchup. He earned the Ravens offense's top grade from @PFF with a 91.3 --his his highest grade of the season by far'

Edited by vmax