ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Iggles vs Ravens, 1st preseason game

tsylvester

I agree. Keeping the established players on the bench for tonight is a good idea. We're so thin at CB it's scary. Gotta get them healthy for the 'real' season. I think next week we might want to see the starters play a series just so they can get some real play time under their belts.

Whaddya think...sit them all for the whole preseason or give them a taste next week?

1 minute ago, cravnravn said:

We are doing a practice run to see if our new range can produce 30 wings in 20 minutes. Curious to see if Zay is playing? And how often Huntley goes to him.

Well, he is not an established starter, though likely a starter, I would think they go to him as often as possible to break him in

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

I would give them a series or two, see if they can get some rhythm going next week.

Sounds good. Next week it should be but I don't think Harbs will play them then. I think he's waiting for the regular season to start.

2 hours ago, cravnravn said:

We are doing a practice run to see if our new range can produce 30 wings in 20 minutes. Curious to see if Zay is playing? And how often Huntley goes to him.

I predict your new range will play tonight!

• Upvote 1

A nice read on the game. I will reiterate what I said earlier, Huntley took advantage of the 3rd string defense, but hey, that wad what he was given. Todd called a great game from a passing scheme stand point. Designed plays to take advantage of the speed & quickness of his players. Thus, open areas in the defense for some rookies to have good opportunities. Passes were put in a place where they could make plays and they did, for the most part. The defense got stops, yes, but mostly against a really raw rookie qb...

Whether it's the new offense under offensive coordinator Todd Monken or his experience from the last two seasons leading to improvement, Huntley looked more than ready if he's thrust into action again this season.

No matter the situation Baltimore's defense found itself in, they found a way to step up.

The Baltimore Ravens' preseason win streak is now at 24. The Ravens hung on late to beat the Philadelphia Eagles 20-19 on Saturday night at M&T Bank Stadium. Justin Tucker did his part, while the new-look offense showed promise. The Ravens' defense also did their part with key stops late in the game.

Here are the three takeaways from Baltimore's win over the Eagles.

Special teams ups and downs:

Justin Tucker can seemingly roll out of bed and make kicking look easy.

He did just that at the end of the first half, booming a 60-yard field goal as the first half ended to trim the Eagles' lead to 13-10. Tucker also made a 43-yard field goal to extend Baltimore's lead to 20-13 in the fourth quarter.

Tucker is still one of, if not the best kicker in the game and he showed no signs of slowing down on Saturday night.

But for as good as Tucker is, a special team miscue almost cost the Ravens. Receiver James Proche muffed a punt deep inside Baltimore territory in the fourth quarter, and it was recovered by the Eagles. Luckily for the Ravens, their defense held strong and forced a turnover on downs to preserve the lead.

In close games, special teams can make the difference in a win or a loss. If Baltimore is going to succeed in close games, they'll need to avoid mistakes like the one Proche made.

Tyler Huntley's growth:

Injuries to quarterback Lamar Jackson the last two years have forced Tyler Huntley to play for significant stretches of the season in 2021 and 2022.

While Huntley has shown flashes throughout his career, he looked like a different quarterback on Saturday. The fourth-year quarterback was 8-of-11 for 88 yards, including a 10-yard touchdown pass to Tylan Wallace in the third quarter.

Whether it's the new offense under offensive coordinator Todd Monken or his experience from the last two seasons leading to improvement, Huntley looked more than ready if he's thrust into action again this season.  

Defense stands tall:

No matter the situation Baltimore's defense found itself in, they found a way to step up.

The Ravens' defense got a stop on fourth down in its red zone and forced another turnover on downs just before the two-minute warning with Philadelphia threatening to get into field goal range in a one-point ballgame.

The defense also had the Eagles' quarterbacks under constant duress and had three sacks. If Baltimore's defense can continue to pressure quarterbacks and get stops late in one-score games, they can be one of the best in football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-preseason-notebook-takeaways-justin-tucker-tyler-huntley-philadelphia-eagles

SI's write-up sounds very promising notes for Monken's O and the defense as well.

It's just pre-season game one, but results were positive pretty much all around.

Can't wait until the real season starts with the regulars playing.