ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bye Week Blues

tsylvester

Yes, every year our favorite team gets a chance to get away, refresh, unwind, heal up. Every year we have to find other things to do, hope the team is healing up, staying out of trouble.

So what do we, fans do? Maybe a look at where this team stands, 9-3, at their bye week. What went into the 9 wins and 3 loses, what can we expect the rest of the way.

Mistakes,(9 fumbles lost, 5 ints) too many of them, went into the 3 loses. In each game, the team had the lead, in the 4th quarter too boot, and yet, they allowed turnovers, penalties, missed assignments, poor coaching decisions to turn leads into deficits. Blocked, missed field goals....

Yes, with just one less turnover, a smart play, a clever coaching choice, those loses could be wins.

As it stands, offensively we have seen them score touchdowns more in the redzone than at any time before. They are 7th in the league in total offense, averaging 366 yards per game, 207 passing, 157 rushing. At times, this unit can move down the field quickly and once in the redzone, 64 % of the time they put it in the endz9ne, good for 3rd best in the league.

Then there are times when they can't get out of their own way, a few series of missed blocks, drop passes, errant throw, poor play calling, penalties. Yes, it is maddening at times.

Defensively, they stout, 2nd in the league in total defense, allowing just 273 yards per game,102 yards on the ground, 171 via rhe air, first in sacks with 47, 10th in total take aways with 19.

Yet like the offense, this defense has had lapses that lead to the 3 loses, missed tackles, blown coverages, leads vanishing.

Yes, a top 10 team in offense and defense, which leads to them having 9 wins in 12 tries; impressive as they sit atop the AFC North and the AFC as well.

Where they go from here is anyone's guess. They have been here before, not too long ago, first round bye, then a disappointing loss by lack luster play. Have they learned their lesson? Stay tuned, buckle up it could be a bumpy, fun ride.

Yeah I think it's going to be bumpy. That schedule is fierce. There are no wimps on it now that the Rams are catching fire. We will, finally, find out if this team is for real or just another run-of-the-mill NFL franchise. Hell, the final schedule is as tough as the playoffs!

The Rams are here at 1 pm, west coast team laying down applies. Fresh off of a bye, I expect a blow out.

Then 2 away night games, yeah, those games, down to Florida then to the West Coast, have to figure one is a loss.

Big game no matter what happens between now & then, against the Steelers, which could also be at night, yep, that will test your metal for a playoff run

I think what the season has shown so far is that it's very difficult for all the teams in the league to maintain unending consistency. We sure have but so have all the other contenders. No one team is 12-0 or even 11-1 this year. And a lot of 9-3 teams have just barely won or lost games they should have cruised through. The Ravens aren't much different than any other contender. They can come out and blow you away or just as easily barely escape with a win and a few losses thrown in. I don't think there are any exceptions. And all teams are struggling with injuries. There has been a disproportionate share of quarterback injuries this year, just as one example.

So, let's keep our fingers crossed that Lamar and all the other players on the team stay healthy for the stretch run.

It's going to be a bumpy ride and I don't think we'll know who's won what until at least the regular season is over.

Bumpy, exciting and at times frustrating!

This is one of those years, because of injury or salary cap, that like college, there isn't 1 dominant or two dominant teams. There are a bunch of really good teams, but even San Fran, Philly, have shown that each top team has a chance, a real chance to win it all.

The Jags are likely without their starting qb for a few weeks,. Ravens are likely to face Cj Bethard...mmm

The Jaguars defense wasn't real impressive in the Cincy game.  Could be they had one of those 'off' days I was mentioning above. They didn't handle the Bengals backup QB who produced a monster game. Actually, Bethard was fairly impressive himself. Both defenses stunk as the score shows. Here's hoping our D holds up through the next 5 games! That's going to be key for us as well as having to have a decent run game to open up play action, etc.

Stanley really has me worried. He hasn't shown he can protect Lamar's blindside, what with all of Stanley's leg/ankle issues. I'm hoping the bye week has restored some of his previous ability, but I have serious doubts.

We need everybody to step up their game for the rest of the year and into January if we want to have a decent post-season run.

If the defense can hold together and if the O-line can give Lamar time to throw, we'll do alright. Like all the quarterbacks I've seen this year, if you give him time to throw, he can be deadly.

From Press Box, sounds like they have the right mind set

I think a late bye is really nice,” Zeitler said on Glenn Clark Radio Nov. 28. “Just powering through the first 12 weeks like that, it’s a grind, but to get a little rest, try to heal up to finish off the season, I think it will do us some good.”

His play has put the team in a position to succeed, but as someone who has already witnessed multiple late-season flameouts in Baltimore, the five-time playoff participant is preaching the importance of focusing on the future.

“I think we’ve done some good things, and it’s fun. We want to acknowledge what we’ve done, but we have a long way to go, a lot of things to learn, and a lot of things to get better at,” Zeitler said. “[If] we take advantage of this bye, [if] we can get it going to finish out strong, the sky’s the limit.

Was reading online today, where it appears likely right now that both MacDonald and Monken will have head coaching jobs in the NFL after this season.

I wonder what the odds are that Harbs decides to hang it up and one of those two is Bisciotti's replacement coach.

In order for any of that to happen though, I think the Ravens have to finish as division champs and play well in the AFC Championship game. If we do another late season el foldo they both might have to remain here.

My guess is that both are gone elsewhere next year regardless and Harbs stays put.

I highly doubt that either coach is going to be a head coach next year. It is a nice thought I suppose, but very, very unlikely.

Why? Well Mike Mc has only been an NFL DC for 2 years, yes, he has done a great job but has very little coaching experience in the league, even in college for that matter.

Monken, so far yes, he is doing a pretty good job so far, still in his first year back in the league. But then, look what he has to work with, and even then, there are a number of plays each game that make one scratch their head and think, what was he thinking calling that play....

Harbs too, seems to really be enjoying coaching, outside of one more Super Bowl win, I doubt he is hanging it up any time soon

I dunno...sometimes I think Harbs just looks kind of beaten down on the sidelines, at least from the shots the Networks use of him. He is 61 and has been at this for a long time. I just don't see the exuberance he showed just a few seasons ago. The man is an outstanding motivator though his knowledge of x's and o's is lacking. We'll see. Maybe they win that Super Bowl and he hangs it up.

That said, winning the SB is pretty far down the road right now. We''ll have our hands full over the next 5 games.

18 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

When has he been a good motivator?

“I just think that credits the coaching staff here, the style that we are here, and I think it just goes to good leadership and just making everyone feel welcomed — welcomed to be themselves and not try to be anything that they’re not,” said linebacker Roquan Smith, who thrived as a midseason addition last year. “I feel like, if you express that to individuals — when they come in here, making sure that they know that they don’t have to try to act or be anything they don’t [want to be] — I think guys just are being themselves, and it makes them play like the best version of themselves.”

• Upvote 1

I recall a time when we would have cast offs who would get big paydays and be busts elsewhere.  Ed Hartwell and AD come to mind.  But I look at the recent iteration where its the exact opposite.  Za'Darius Smith who could do almost nothing here but is great elsewhere. Matt Judon also is in that area.  Tack on having guys out of position who dont perform to ability but in their FA yr they get to be in the correct spot and play great and then we cant afford them.  Jenson and Bozeman are are totally on the nose.  Where is the motivation with these guys?

Sometimes it is just a case of needing a fresh start. As for the linemen, the team was never big on paying large sums to interior players, centers, guards.

Now, Ozzie did screw up with some of his offensive linemen signings, Searcy, Swayne come to mind. Yes, letting Jensen walk was another mistake.

It was not all motivation from the coach or lack there of, it was a front office decision.

Had the front office made better choices on the line, the Ravens might have repeated back in 2000, 2001.

Well Judon was playing his position, sorry if his feelings were hurt having to play team ball and cover the flat every now & then. But then, had the Ravens wanted to pay his price he would have stayed here.

A side note, how in blue blazes did Trevor Lawrence play today? With a severe high ankle sprain?