ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Traing camp is near, pre season not far behind

Man if they can stay healthy, this will be fun to watch, from Espn

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- During one of the first practices of the spring, wide receiver Zay Flowers found himself in a precarious position.

As the Baltimore Ravens ran a run play to the outside, he turned around and saw 6-foot-2, 247-pound running back Derrick Henry charging right behind him.

Flowers immediately jumped to the side.

"I heard you scream," Henry told Flowers.

"I had to get out of the way," Flowers replied.

Henry, Baltimore's top free agent addition this offseason, creates something in the Ravens' backfield that has been missing: fear.

The stories of Henry shoving defensive backs to the ground and running over linebackers are well known in Baltimore. The Ravens' impressive 2019 season -- winning the AFC North with a 14-2 record -- was shattered by Henry's bulldozing of the Baltimore defense in the divisional round, including his ferocious stiff-arm of safety Earl Thomas.

While there has been talk about Henry slowing down at age 30, the Ravens envision the pairing of the two-time rushing champion with two-time NFL Most Valuable Player Lamar Jackson will push Baltimore past its postseason roadblock and to the Super Bowl.

Much of the blame for the Ravens' 17-10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game has been credited to their lack of running the ball. Team officials have tried to explain throughout the offseason why Jackson handed the ball off to running backs only six times in the defeat. But, Baltimore's best response to its commitment to the ground game came on March 12, when the Ravens reached a two-year, $16 million agreement with Henry.

"It's going to be scary," Ravens middle linebacker Roquan Smith said. "I told a couple of my friends in the offseason, maybe I'll have to get some popcorn on the sideline while I'm watching those guys go to work.

"I think it's a great piece added to us, and it's going to help us get to where we want to be."

Henry's track record includes six straight seasons of 1,000 yards from scrimmage and double-digit touchdowns. It's a level of consistent production that the Ravens have never had. In Jackson's six seasons, Baltimore has had only one 1,000 running back -- Mark Ingram in 2019 -- but no one who comes close to Henry's running style.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep...camp is getting closer and closer. I have to confess to a feeling of some disinterest this year. Last year was, in my mind, going to be the 'Ravens Year' to win it all, and I think I still haven't gotten over the fact that they didn't make it to the Super Bowl.

I'll continue to read about them and watch the pre-season games and look to see how much of 'it' they really have this coming season, but I'm doubtful they'll be as good as last year's team.

Certainly, Henry could ignite a new round of feeling for me IF he still has the ability and desire he's had in the past.

We're going to miss MacDonald, Clowney, Queen, and Geno more than I think the media realizes.

On offense, as I have stated ad nauseum, I am greatly concerned about the offensive line.

All will be revealed in good time, I suppose, but as of right now I'm keeping my powder dry and my feelings in check.

1 hour ago, oldno82 said:

Yep...camp is getting closer and closer. I have to confess to a feeling of some disinterest this year. Last year was, in my mind, going to be the 'Ravens Year' to win it all, and I think I still haven't gotten over the fact that they didn't make it to the Super Bowl.

I'll continue to read about them and watch the pre-season games and look to see how much of 'it' they really have this coming season, but I'm doubtful they'll be as good as last year's team.

Certainly, Henry could ignite a new round of feeling for me IF he still has the ability and desire he's had in the past.

We're going to miss MacDonald, Clowney, Queen, and Geno more than I think the media realizes.

On offense, as I have stated ad nauseum, I am greatly concerned about the offensive line.

All will be revealed in good time, I suppose, but as of right now I'm keeping my powder dry and my feelings in check.

Queen I’m fine with.  But everything else I totally agree.  I think merceri will have to be the rt to start the season.  That means they have no depth at either ot.  There is hopeful optimism at guard.  
I don’t know where they replace geno and clownys production.  Also will Hamilton have to be forced into playing a basic ss role bc of lack of depth. How good can he be not being the queen on the board?

Yep, nothing against Orr, but the half time adjustments by McDaniel were incredible, haven't seen that type of coaching since Rex. I am a little concerned there but the Ravens have good depth in the secondary to help.

I think Simpson will be a great replacement for Queen.

Overall, I am looking for growth on offense, a 2ns year in the system, healthy receivers, and see how or if the line can come togerher.

With Henry the defenes will be crashing hard to try and keep him from getting started, that will pressure a young line.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of youth on both sides of the ball and at key positions, plus the cap, baring any major signings the rest of this year, will be in better shape.

So if the youth pan out, it will be another playoff year for a few years

I fully expect the playoffs.  I just expect them not to be in the afcc.  Then they try again with probably more player loss in 25.  Then Lamar hits about a quarter of the cap.  Then a lot of player loss or ink him to another fruitless contract.

I'm not so sure they make the playoffs this year. I hope they do but there are so many unanswered questions. Maybe I will feel differently after the camp and first couple games of the season. Maybe.

Let’s look at the afc.

the west should only have kc.  Every other team has to much work to do to win enough games. 
the east I se Miami and buf at best making it.  The jets experiment will be a disaster.  Also I can see buf not making it at all.  If tua is hurt they could be out too.  
down south I see a single juggernaut in Houston.  Can Jax figure it out?  I doubt it.  Tenn is rebuilding.  Indy can be good if they’re able can stay on the field.  
now right here in the north.  Cincy should be much better as long as burrows wrist is right.  Cle is going to be mediocre.  I think Pitt will be worse.

so I’m seeing the 7 that make it includes us.  If we are the wc we prob play the east div winner week 1.  If we win the div we get the colts.  It’s a coin flip to beat either team.  Week 2 I expect we are done.  

Mitchell, Additionally, Baltimore placed rookie cornerback T.J. Tampa on the PUP list and declared rookie linebacker Adisa Isaac as having a non-football injury. Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Isaac has a minor hamstring issue.

Sunday is the big day. i just hope we have a healthy TC and preseason; one that doesn't have guys dropping like flies.

Just give me that and an O-line that blocks and I'll be happy.

Finally some word on what the injury was to Tampa

Baltimore Ravens rookie cornerback T.J. Tampa will miss the next few weeks as he recovers from hernia surgery, Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic reports. This news comes less than a week after the Ravens placed him on the PUP list on Monday.

Don't know what is up with Lamar. Maybe it's covid. Anyway, he was in camp everyday last week with the Rooks, I believe, so I'll cut him a little slack--for now.

Some updates

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2024/7/22/24203887/ravens-2024-training-camp-day-2-observations-bateman-shines-in-rain-defense-nabs-interceptions

Midway through practice, the overcast turned into mighty rainfall in Owings Mills, Maryland. It didn’t stop practice, but rather gave them the opportunity to compete in the elements, where wide receiver Rashod Bateman elevated his game and reeled in a couple highlight grabs.

Early in practice, quarterback Josh Johnson threw a deep route to Bateman, being covered by cornerback Marlon Humphrey. The ball sailed too far for Bateman to grab whilst having his jersey tugged a bit from Humphrey, leaving the training camp crowd’s excited cheers fall flat. But when the midway drizzling rain turned into a downpour, Bateman’s game elevated. During 11-on-11s, Bateman managed to snare a ball inches from the soaking wet grass with his fingertips, while being covered by cornerback Brandon Stephens, who went up for the ball too early, allowing Bateman to contort his body and catch the ball low and behind Stephens. Later on, he hauled in another pass. Then another. His sharpness in the elements was a boost for the offense.

"You do some good things and more good things seem to come, hopefully. But Rashod’s been working to make plays,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “To see him come out here and make those catches— those are great catches, the traffic catches, one catch he plucked off the ground there, so I was excited. Everybody was fired up about it. But that’s what we expect from Rashod Bateman. He’s expected to be a top receiver in the league for us. That’s what we’re planning on. To see him true to form today was nice to see.”

There were some interesting defensive packages on the field today which included both cornerback Arthur Maulet and safety Kyle Hamilton today, where one or both players were in out-of-the-ordinary spots. As noted in yesterday’s observations, Maulet’s been one of the most impactful players throughout the offseason program and it’s bled into the first two practices, as Maulet had his second straight day with an interception, though this one came after the whistle due to the defensive line getting to the quarterback. Harbaugh was asked if they’re trying to find ways to keep both on the field due to their performances.

“Certainly. What you’ll see is personnel groups with different guys in different spots,” Harbaugh said. “The basic personnel group with Arthur at nickel is a group. And then you’ve got a group with Marlon [Humphrey] at nickel. You’ve got a group with Kyle down there at that spot. Kyle can be over at the dime. So, I think that’s the beauty of what we have an opportunity to do and a lot of guys to play to starter level and be on the field and mix it up a little bit and create problem for offenses.”

Oweh’s attendance in the backfield on Day 2 of practice repeated Day 1’s, where he was often slashing in and around the tackles en route to pressuring quarterbacks. He’s looked sharp and he spoke today on how he’s feeling right now.

“I feel pretty good,” Oweh said. “I thank God, it was a good offseason. recovered from my surgery pretty well. So yeah, I feel good.”

Positive news on Bateman but we'll have to see what happens with him when Lamar returns. Will he be a force or melt back into the shadows like in the past with Jackson running the show?