ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Occupy Thoughts

vmax

I was scrolling down this list of "Occupy" articles and happy to see how much momentum this protest is building even though I have only the vaguest of ideas on what it's about.

http://topics.gannett.com/wall+street+protests?template=usatoday

Sounds like "We're mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore". It's going Worldwide.

I think it's a good thing but it seems nobody is sure what this 'thing' is.

I know I'm not sure. My guess:

Bottom line: It's an attack on Greed.

It's becomming a growing worldwide movement of the masses who are fed up with being abused at the work place and as citizens in general who are increasingly experiencing their hard earned income being raided by goverment and big business. We have been asked to work longer hours, for less pay, for less benefits, all while watching our retirement and savings go to somebody else.

Vague but very clear to see here in the U.S.

Wall Street bent all the rules, turned a blind eye to huge amounts of questionable business practices knowing the bill was going to come due.

The Banking and Real Estate industries knowingly inflated the values of our homes, ignored and wrongfully approved mortage loans to millions who did not qualify for such high payments, stuck them with those payments and made sick profits accross the board. Agents and middle men got rich quick flipping properties. It crashed and guess who foot the bill?

The citizens. We watched as our goverment bailed them out. we watched as the values of our homes were cut in half or more.

We are stuck with paying for this mess or the whole global economy will collapse with catastophic consequences.

Oh...we're to blame too. Greed...the chance to improve the quality of our life...to rise up to a level we couldn't afford, had us applying for and signing those loans and buying those stocks and phoney get rich quick schemes. We over spent. We ran up credit cards, bought tons of "things", all while in denial that the Day of Reckoning would one day appear on our doorstep.

Materialism...almost God for many in this country...is on the verge of destroying it.

I think it's a good thing but it seems nobody is sure what this 'thing' is.

I know I'm not sure. My guess:

Bottom line: It's an attack on Greed.

While greed certainly played it's part, I don't think it is the bottom line.

All people are greedy, that's just a fact of life. Greed doesn't have to be a problem. In a working free market, and I mean a free as in an austrian economics school sense free market, the only way for you to improve your material standing is by providing something someone else wants to buy (voluntarily). That leaves both parties happier even though you are each acting greedily to improve your own standard of living.

The problem in the last 30 years or so is that the rule of law doesn't apply to certain aspects of society (politicians, government officials, bankers and big business). Karl Denninger on market-ticker.org does a good job of covering the various frauds so I won't repeat it here. Go read it, time well spent.

The mainstream media is misleading the points. They are all dirty hippies including a former marine who served 2 tours in Iraq.

One of the main points is that the corps took bailouts. I think most people agree with that point. They also want the people who commited crimes to be prosecuted.

And that makes them dirty hippies?

I think Papa was saying that's how the media portrays them, not that's how he sees them.

I don't know 100% where to stand - I think I agree with a lot of their frustration. What bothers me most is the gov't trying to shut them down in various locations, including Baltimore. What's the point in peaceful assembly and petitioning, as protected in the 1st amendment, if the gov't gets to decide how much is allowed or when/where? It's silly.

What if they were protesting rigged elections and gov't corruption (which in some ways they are)? Would we allow that gov't to say "ok, we heard you, we get it - go home. oh, but we're not changing anything"

I think Papa was saying that's how the media portrays them, not that's how he sees them. I don't know 100% where to stand - I think I agree with a lot of their frustration. What bothers me most is the gov't trying to shut them down in various locations, including Baltimore. What's the point in peaceful assembly and petitioning, as protected in the 1st amendment, if the gov't gets to decide how much is allowed or when/where? It's silly. What if they were protesting rigged elections and gov't corruption (which in some ways they are)? Would we allow that gov't to say "ok, we heard you, we get it - go home. oh, but we're not changing anything"

Agreed. They are protesting rigged elections. They are saying corporations have hijacked the political process for the gain of the business regardless of if it hurts the country or it's people. I am 100% for their fight. Some of them at these sites are not experienced enough to know what to fight for but they see what exists is wrong. I was listening to BAL and C4's show a while back. This guy was pretty on point.