ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

a weak link

vmax

They can't expect him to call the protection schemes...can they?

Plus.....No mention of Ngata breathing in his face.

Harris expected to hold company line

Second-year lineman must replace injured Pro Bowler Mawae

Titans center Leroy Harris is bracing for the most daunting task of his brief NFL career.

In Saturday's AFC Divisional playoff game the second-year pro will be partly responsible for dissecting Baltimore's second-ranked defense and all the tricks and gimmicks linebacker Ray Lewis and his Ravens buddies hurl at the offensive line.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090109...77/1027/RSS0201

44438778.jpg

All he has to do is blow a few calls...need some help to plug the middle...miss an asignment or two...and the blitzing gaps will be open. If they can't double Pryce or Suggs lights out.

Or...they may need more guys in to pass protect which means less receiving options for Collins.

Manwae has always been a beast and controlled his portion of the field. The Ravens never got by him.

This is an opportunity.

To add to the weak link discussion, we need to get to Collins early and often. He is not too hot of a starter, and if we can jump out to an early lead, they Titans might not be able to recover.

Titans may need to survive a slow start by Collins

January 10, 2009 6:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Titans fans should ponder the first quarter of Saturday's Ravens-Titans playoff game.

This is from the fine folks at ESPN Stats & Analysis:

Titans quarterback Kerry Collins has thrown no touchdowns and six interceptions in the first quarter this season, the worst such ratio in the NFL. The six picks tie for most in the league, and no other signal-caller has thrown more than three first-quarter picks without at least one touchdown. Collins has only thrown one other interception all season.

More

Interesting stat...get in his head and face from the gate and stay there all day.

The Titans feel he's their steady veteren rudder...the brains of the offense. A few blows should rattle that and the teams confidence.

He's not a warrior like Steve McNair.

The Titans gave up the fewest sacks in the NFL during the regular season, allowing 12, but gave up three in Harris’ lone start against the Indianapolis Colts.

Edited by vmax

Very interesting stat, max. I like our chances nevertheless. You always hear that we need to get pressure on Collins to win this game. However, last meeting we did not get any pressure on Collins, and the Titans had 146 total yards going into the last drive, with only 98-yards passing and 48-yards passing. Simply put, we shutdown the Titans offense without getting a sack on Collins. If we are able to harass Collin like we did Pennington, I believe we will win this one in Ravens football fashion. Remember, Stover missed a 45-yard field goal in that game. How different would have that game been had Stover hit that field goal? He is usually money within 50-yards.

What this game will come down to is what we give the Titans. I fully believe that we will shutdown their offense again completely. However, if we give them points off of turnovers, it will not matter. If we do not give them anything to work with, play patient football by letting Sam Koch continue his hot streak, we will win.

One more thing you never hear about the last meeting: 38 rushes for 132-yards (a 3.5 average). Our offensive line pushed around the Titans defensive line. McClain had 11 attempts for 51-yards. The Titans do not want any part of McClain. Le'Ron, with our offensive line, is going to be the X-factor in this one.

How nice would it be to have another dominating win this week? Some reason I have a feeling that one of two teams today is going to win in this fashion.

They gave up 3 in Harris' start verse the Colts, but if I remember correctly from watching that game, the pressure came off the edge consistently from Mathis and Freeney. I dont know who actually GOT the sacks, but Mathis and Freeney were collapsing the pocket from the outside the whole game, and that's what caused the sacks, not anything from up the gut.

They gave up 3 in Harris' start verse the Colts, but if I remember correctly from watching that game, the pressure came off the edge consistently from Mathis and Freeney. I dont know who actually GOT the sacks, but Mathis and Freeney were collapsing the pocket from the outside the whole game, and that's what caused the sacks, not anything from up the gut.

And aside from that, Young was the QB...