ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Am I Homer?

cmacarolle21

Would you guys call me a homer if I said with a healthy Chris Mcalister the game turned out a lot different then it did tonight. I don't think Kerry Collins would throw for almost 300 yards with a healthy McCalister. While I believe Landry's better than Jim Leonhard but I don't think the difference is game changing. I think it really hurt us when Fabian Washington got hurt for that little stint with his hand, and then Samari got hurt as well. Also when we could have used Fabian in the nickle we have to use Frank Walker who is just a clown. I say Kerry Collins throws for about 180 with McCalister in. Also McCalister isn't too bad when the run would get to the secondary.

Would you guys call me a homer if I said with a healthy Chris Mcalister the game turned out a lot different then it did tonight. I don't think Kerry Collins would throw for almost 300 yards with a healthy McCalister. While I believe Landry's better than Jim Leonhard but I don't think the difference is game changing. I think it really hurt us when Fabian Washington got hurt for that little stint with his hand, and then Samari got hurt as well. Also when we could have used Fabian in the nickle we have to use Frank Walker who is just a clown. I say Kerry Collins throws for about 180 with McCalister in. Also McCalister isn't too bad when the run would get to the secondary.

I don't think there's any doubt that our secondary is beat to hell and our biggest weakness. I'm not so sure about Landry vs. Leonhard though, Leonhard has turned out to be absolutely huge.

I think Fisher was emphasizing the whole week that Kerry Collins was going to look before he threw down the middle of the field. I had a feeling Reed wasn't going to have a 2 INT night. I think Chris Mcalister was injured this season through out the whole season. I think even an injured Mcalister would help the secondary but, I was assuming a healthy Mcalister. I just feel he's a vastly underrated corner whose a good tackler, good in coverage, and good when necessary in the run.

Leonard has been absolutely huge.

Rex has got to figure a way to stop the short passing game or Roghtssoidfaljber is going to tear us up. Our biggest weakness is that short passing game, we've simply got to neutralize it cuz you can bet your ass Tomlin saw what Collins did and is going to gameplan accordingly.

I think we're primarily afraid of giving up the big play, which is why our corners play off so much. The fact that we're always blitzing our safeties and linebackers doesn't help any... especially when they're not getting to the QB. When we blitz a SS and LB and both are picked up, obviously there is going to be a huge hole in the coverage.

What C-Mac brought to the table was a physical presence at the corner position. He could make tackles on RB's, but he would also bully receivers with his physical style of play. Gage and co. wouldn't be getting free releases with the 6'1 McAlister on them.

But more than anything, we need to find a way to get pressure on the QB. I don't think we're playing it safe... I just think our blitzes are getting picked up too easily.

I also agree with another poster in another thread, besides Ray (who's not as quick as he used to be) our LBs are not that good in coverage. I think some better coverage from the LBs would reduce some of the easy slants that Collins and others have been ripping off against us. I'm frustrated by the constant 5 yard slant routes, not the deep ins after the QB has 5+ seconds to throw. Collins should not be able to beat you with quick slant hits, he's not that type of QB. To me that says the LBs are not getting where they're supposed to be.

I think we're primarily afraid of giving up the big play, which is why our corners play off so much. The fact that we're always blitzing our safeties and linebackers doesn't help any... especially when they're not getting to the QB. When we blitz a SS and LB and both are picked up, obviously there is going to be a huge hole in the coverage.

What C-Mac brought to the table was a physical presence at the corner position. He could make tackles on RB's, but he would also bully receivers with his physical style of play. Gage and co. wouldn't be getting free releases with the 6'1 McAlister on them.

But more than anything, we need to find a way to get pressure on the QB. I don't think we're playing it safe... I just think our blitzes are getting picked up too easily.

While I agree with most of what you are saying I think the reason we lost vs. the Steelers when they drove 92 yards against us was due to no pressure. I believe we didn't put any pressure on him because I think Frank Walker was in coverage and they weren't comfortable with leaving him alone with a receiver on coverage.