ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What are you listening to now?

Guest BallTMore

Two groups that are evolving in a big way...

First, all signs point to these guys absolutely DESTROYING IT with their new album. I was on board when they just had the EP with Hold On a few years ago - but these new tracks are just unreal.

https://youtu.be/_sNNTpORtDQ

Then, these fellas... well, they are definitely evolving and re-inventing. I like this version of the tune on SNL a lot more than I like the actual track. It just sounds muddy to me. Not sure how I feel on this change. I respect their comments, though, where they pretty much said, "We had a lot more in us than our first albums; we didn't want to remake that." I am hoping the rest of this album maybe has some middle ground because as I said, not sold on it yet.

And yes - Garfunkel and Oates are hilarious. I love Kate Marcucci (is she G or O?) from her roles with Scrubs and Raising Hope.

Future People - Alabama Shakes. The two tracks above are good. This is the track that makes my jaw drop sometimes, thinking this is the same band as 3 years ago. And thinking damn, Brittany can sing.

Bosley! A local boy. Nice choice.

Have you heard his cover of Beck's "Debra?" Can't find it online right now... but so good.

Meanwhile, I saw him at WTMD's 24 Hour concert at their new venue a few years ago. Walked in as he started this song. The intro, in person, is pretty epic. It just builds and builds. Not quite captured on the track as well.

The Bellevederes are another one I caught at that WTMD concert. Good retro stuff - some very rare. But my favorite part is their hypeman Velvet Johnson. Not his best work here, but a little taste... and he just stands around and claps for the rest of the show. :)

• 2 weeks later...

You talk too much, baby
You talk too much
You talk too much, baby
You talk too much
You yak, yak, yak
You yak too much

You talk in the mornin'
You talk all night long
You talk about people that don't
That even don't know you

Talk too much
Baby, you talk too much, baby
You talk too much, mama
You talk too much, mama
Mama, you talk too much

Mama, mama, mama
You talk too much
Mama, mama, mama
You talk too much
You talk too much, mama
You yak, yak, yak

Yak, yak all the time
You yak your mouth
Your big mouth will ruin you woman
Your big mouth will ruin you woman
Yak, yak, yak all the time

Talk about people that
You just don't know
Yak, yak, yak
Yak, yak, yak all the time
Yak, yak, yak your big mouth
All the time, all the time

You talk too much woman

• 3 months later...

Love Stinks after my bitch left me.

Also a lot of soft blues and Jazz thinking of her with BB King and Eric Clapton.

I sing Crazy Bitch on Karaokee night and that song usually gets me laid as girls

go nuts. It has a line that says she puts scratches down my back and when I

sing those words girls come up on the stage and put scratches down my back.

That's how I met my ex.

Made it to Hot August Music Festival yesterday, was very cool. Saw some great acts like Cabinet (bluegrass jam band) and Punch Brothers (side project of Nickel Creek front man). Headliner was Counting Crows... personal fave who played a great set, but short - only about 90 min

Did a great alternate version of one of their sins I hadn't heard before - Goodnight Elizabeth mashed with Lou Reeds Pale Blue Eyes. Below is a version from years past, transition is at about 3:30.

They are great at mixing these things.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...