ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Me vs. The Sports Guy

dc.

He picks the Steelers (and their -6) over the Ravens... with this below it...

Love the matchup for Pittsburgh; love the way the Steelers played last week; love the thought of "Ben" throwing deep; love going against a rookie QB playing on the road for a third straight week; love the way Fast Willie ran the ball against the Chargers (and the fact that he could do a lot of the things Chris Johnson did when he was shredding the Ravens last week); love the Pittsburgh special teams; love the fact Baltimore never, ever, EVER should have escaped Tennessee; love how Pittsburgh's crowd showed up last week; love the thought of an NFL playoff game making sense (if only for three hours).

Sorry, Pittsburgh fans, you're stuck with me this weekend. You may now light your Terrible Towels on fire.

This from the fella who went 0-4 last week. And the guy who knows, like me, that the more you "love" about a game... the more you stay away.

Love the match-up for Pitt? Fine. Can't argue that.

Love the way they played last week? Against the league's 25th ranked defense. Ok. And giving up 25 points? Fine.

Love Ben throwing deep? To Ed Reed's waiting arms. Did you notice the Titans never went deep... for a reason.

Love playing a rookie on the road? Only rookie to ever win 2 playoff games and the same rookie who led the entire NFL in road QB rating?

Love the way Fast Willie ran? What about his 43 yard, 2.8 per carry average against the Ravens in six career games.

Love the Pittsburgh special teams? I still take Stover.

Love that Baltimore never ever should have escaped Tennessee? Shouldn't that actually scare you. They weren't supposed to... they did... they've done that a lot this season.

Love the thought of an NFL playoff game making sense? What makes anyone think a game might make sense this week?!

Simmons is a flaming moron. He spends every waking minute slobbing on Boston knob, and trashing the places that are easy to trash (Clippers, Lions, etc.). The only thing on that site worse than him is the guy who writes music reviews (ON ESPN. seriously.). Not to mention that he absolutely sucks at making picks.

I'm consoled by the fact that (as evidenced by his podcasts) he has the absolute whiniest voice I've ever heard.

This from the fella who went 0-4 last week. And the guy who knows, like me, that the more you "love" about a game... the more you stay away.

You are absolutely correct Mr dc, back in my dark days, I had a partner, who used to "Love" betting certain teams, Hed call me every Sat & Sun "loving" teams..Thats why we spent more mondays in line at the credit union then we did waiting for our bookie to pay us.

BTW--I really, really really "like" the Ravens +6 pts.

raven210.gif

I like Bill Simmons' columns... not because he's any good at making picks, or that he's unbiased... just because he's consistently funny. If I wanted to listen to someone who knows what they're talking about, I'd just unplug my television, break the radio, and throw my computer out the window. Then I'd probably go the movies or something.

His columns have gotten worse and worse and worse ever since the Red Sox got good... now all his teams are good and he's awful.

He spent an entire column one time explaining why fans of other teams didn't know what its like to be so good and then so bad (referring to the Celtics in recent years until last). This after whining about Yankee fan entitlement his whole life.

Bottom line... the more "right" a game feels... the more picking it should make you nervous. I just don't pick.

I like Bill Simmons' columns... not because he's any good at making picks, or that he's unbiased... just because he's consistently funny. If I wanted to listen to someone who knows what they're talking about, I'd just unplug my television, break the radio, and throw my computer out the window. Then I'd probably go the movies or something.

So true, the people who do know what they are talking about are not doing any talking...they are doing.

All the "Experts" are taking the Stealers so I feel real good about a Ravens victory tomorrow night.

I really think Purple Hell will break loose.

Edited by vmax

Not only are people taking the Steelers, but on Around the Horn (yes, I watch this crap. Not for information, just for perspective) they were asked if the Ravens have a chance in this game, and all 4 sports writers said no, they had no chance. At all. Wow.