ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ryan to Coach Jets

ForceEight

They made the official offer.

The New York Jets will formally offer their head coaching job to Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who has told confidants he will accept the position, several sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

The Jets notified other candidates, including offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, of their plans to hire Ryan, the sources said. A formal announcement is expected Monday or Tuesday.

Ryan told ESPN's Rachel Nichols late Sunday that he could find out about the Jets' job as early as tonight. "We'll see. There were no pre-arrangements made or anything, though. I was completely focused on our team."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843174

I love Rex and he will be missed, but he is a little arrogant IMO. He continues to blitz in games when we aren't getting to the QB, and when we don't have the CBs to play man. Sorta like Billick, "no matter what I call or who I have out there, it will work".

I felt he blitzed too much tonight when we would have been better off sitting back in a zone and forcing Ben to fit passes into it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Rex will be a good head coach.

He is a great players guy... but he isn't enough of a disciplinarian to run a team entirely. Especially not in NY, where everything is blown out of proportion.

Additionally, to paraphrase some other analysts... his crazy schemes worked here because of the level of talent of our defense. The unconventional does not and will not work everywhere.

I cannot fault Ryan for anything he did with this team. And I wish him the best in NY. But I think it is time we saw some new faces on our defensive coaching staff... who knows what greatness may come.

Mixed feelings about Rex's departure - if in fact it happens.

1. He coached a helluva D - and brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

2. The players seemed to respect him a lot, however, I thought they were undiscplined at times, esp in the secondary.

Our secondary (sans Jim Leonard) was horrible at tackling and left many tackles/lost yards on the field. In short, our secondary needs to relearn to "wrap up" the opponent and not tackle the head or ball.

3. I really believe a change would be good. We have had some defensive brainfarts (NE game Dec 07) and various mental lapses in the secondary that signify a general lack of focus and discipline.

4. If we can get a butt kicker - maybe a Singletary type - and someone the players respect who can mesh well with Harbaugh, Cam, etc. then I'm all for it.

I could see some real positives coming from a Rex Ryan replacement. We'll see.

Mixed feelings about Rex's departure - if in fact it happens.

1. He coached a helluva D - and brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

2. The players seemed to respect him a lot, however, I thought they were undiscplined at times, esp in the secondary.

Our secondary (sans Jim Leonard) was horrible at tackling and left many tackles/lost yards on the field. In short, our secondary needs to relearn to "wrap up" the opponent and not tackle the head or ball.

3. I really believe a change would be good. We have had some defensive brainfarts (NE game Dec 07) and various mental lapses in the secondary that signify a general lack of focus and discipline.

4. If we can get a butt kicker - maybe a Singletary type - and someone the players respect who can mesh well with Harbaugh, Cam, etc. then I'm all for it.

I could see some real positives coming from a Rex Ryan replacement. We'll see.

You want romeo crennel don't you...haha i kid i kid......What about nolan? Is he still available?

You can be sure we'll find someone good to lead this D.

We've got a young coach who has roots in the Eagles organization and in many college organizations through his brother.

We've got the league's best GM ready to reel someone in - and you can bet he's had a list of who he wants for quite a while.

We've got a great defense with three straight coordinators to head coaches... makes it hard to turn down an offer to coach some of the league's greatest defensive players.