ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Its apparent

varaven45

This team has got to find a way to snag a playmaking WR in the offseason, esp after watching Fitzgerald, Boldin, etc. last night.

Now that Mr. Flacco has a season under his belt, we need to build and expand on our WR corps and right away.

If we make a a few sacrifices on our D, so be it.

In Oz we trust ! ?

Why couldnt Pittsburg play as bad against us as they did against the Cards..Warner tore them up

Warner >> Flacco

Boldin & Fitz >>> Mason & Clayton & Heap

That will give you (Warner) 377 yards and 23 points aginst Stealers.

Flacco could become a Warner type of even better.

Mason, Clayton wont become a Boldin & Fitz.

We need us a Fitz or Boldin type. Both of those guys owned the Stealers.

If we want to beat the Stealers, we need a Fits or Boldin type.

While we might need a deep threat, that is not how the Cardinals were effective. The Cards receivers were effective last night by having receivers who could go across the middle on crossing routes and make catches in traffic, then turn up field. The Cards receivers also have a very good awareness on how to get open in zone coverages when the QB is under pressure.

Derrick Mason is a tough receiver who does go over the middle, but he just doesn't have the size and relative aggressiveness of Fitz and Boldin. With that said, Hakeem Nicks sounds like the perfect receiver for us. He is very polished, has soft and extremely strong hands, size, and has a great understanding of route running and how to get open. I would much rather have Nicks than DHB or Harvin.

While we might need a deep threat, that is not how the Cardinals were effective. The Cards receivers were effective last night by having receivers who could go across the middle on crossing routes and make catches in traffic, then turn up field. The Cards receivers also have a very good awareness on how to get open in zone coverages when the QB is under pressure.

Derrick Mason is a tough receiver who does go over the middle, but he just doesn't have the size and relative aggressiveness of Fitz and Boldin. With that said, Hakeem Nicks sounds like the perfect receiver for us. He is very polished, has soft and extremely strong hands, size, and has a great understanding of route running and how to get open. I would much rather have Nicks than DHB or Harvin.

Dont think we necessarily need a deep threat (while that wouldnt hurt); we need a beast across the middle.

Since the Stealers are our true competitor, its obvious we need a physical guy who can be successful against the Stealers secondary.

But they were able to go across the middle because the safeties were playing so far back because of the deep threat...

Just like the Titans, Steelers and Colts have success against the Ravens not by going deep... but by drawing our DBs back and then going over the middle...

But our receivers can't push their men back because there is no deep threat.

But they were able to go across the middle because the safeties were playing so far back because of the deep threat...

Just like the Titans, Steelers and Colts have success against the Ravens not by going deep... but by drawing our DBs back and then going over the middle...

But our receivers can't push their men back because there is no deep threat.

Very good point. However, Boldin and Fitz are not exactly burners themselves, but they know how to get deep because of their route running ability and understanding of coverages. Then their athletic ability, size, and aggressiveness lets them make a play on any ball. That is where the threat comes from, not exactly from being a typical deep threat. I believe Nicks is this type of receiver. Like Fitz, Nicks is considered NFL ready coming out of college. Nicks might not have deep threat speed, but I believe he is a complete receiver who will be able to get open anywhere on the field.

Don't sleep on Steve Breaston. While Larry Fitz is the unbelievable talent, and Boldin is a pro bowler, it's possible to take the two guys out of the game... at least for a while. What happens then? Your #3 receiver goes off, especially when he is a super-fast, agile guy like Breaston. His speed (and quickness) allowed him to get open over and over (the same way Eddie Royal did all year for Denver). Santonio Holmes is another guy who is very fast and knows how to get open.

Flacco can buy time in the pocket, but if he doesn't have an open receiver to throw to, it's all for naught.

And Cleetz, I like Nicks also, but don't sleep on Harvin's ability to get open. That's all he does is get open. You know, when he's healthy. You guys can be the experts on Heyward-Bey, but I've watched every snap of Harvin's career, and the guy is a ridiculous playmaker who plays in a "you'd better get open when the QB is running around" offense. (See: Tim Tebow)

Don't sleep on Steve Breaston. While Larry Fitz is the unbelievable talent, and Boldin is a pro bowler, it's possible to take the two guys out of the game... at least for a while. What happens then? Your #3 receiver goes off, especially when he is a super-fast, agile guy like Breaston. His speed (and quickness) allowed him to get open over and over (the same way Eddie Royal did all year for Denver). Santonio Holmes is another guy who is very fast and knows how to get open.

Flacco can buy time in the pocket, but if he doesn't have an open receiver to throw to, it's all for naught.

And Cleetz, I like Nicks also, but don't sleep on Harvin's ability to get open. That's all he does is get open. You know, when he's healthy. You guys can be the experts on Heyward-Bey, but I've watched every snap of Harvin's career, and the guy is a ridiculous playmaker who plays in a "you'd better get open when the QB is running around" offense. (See: Tim Tebow)

Harvin is a high risk, high reward player.

Before going to Fla, Harvin played 20 minutes from my neighborhood at Landstown High School in Virginia Beach. He was unstoppable in HS but had a history of being dinged up (knee injuries I recall). He's a fast cat and playmaker.

I'd rather have the big possession Boldin type guy and draft him or acquire him via free agency.

Completely agree. That is the difference between the Steelers receivers and ours. Ben runs around, his receivers get open. Joe runs around, our receiver cannot get open.

As for Harvin or Nicks, give me either guy. I think both guys could be great in our offense. How do you like this comparison for Harvin: Santonio Holmes. Harvin is certainly a high risk guy, but he has potential to be a great deep threat and a guy with scary YAC ability. Like Holmes, Harvin has the ability to take screens and short passes and turn them up field for a big gain in a hurry.

Completely agree. That is the difference between the Steelers receivers and ours. Ben runs around, his receivers get open. Joe runs around, our receiver cannot get open.

As for Harvin or Nicks, give me either guy. I think both guys could be great in our offense. How do you like this comparison for Harvin: Santonio Holmes. Harvin is certainly a high risk guy, but he has potential to be a great deep threat and a guy with scary YAC ability. Like Holmes, Harvin has the ability to take screens and short passes and turn them up field for a big gain in a hurry.

I was sort've meaning to draw the comparison between Harvin and Holmes in my last post... They're probably about the same size and speed. I don't like calling Harvin a "deep threat", because like holmes, he's so much more than that. Great catching ability, and a playmaker whenever he touches the ball. He's a much better receiver than Ted Ginn, and Miami took him in the top 10. If it wasn't for his injury history, he would be a top 10 guy himself.

I'm excited to take a receiver either way. I just hope we don't wait until the 6th round.

I think it would be great to get a young guy to grow with Joe, what about the guys on the IR?

Justin Harper with some Maturing could become a good guy to have on the field. What about DWill?

Would also like see Marcus Smith get more time.

I don't think Smith is much of an asset, but Williams is undoubtedly a good receiver and deserves a shot at it.

I think it would be great to get a young guy to grow with Joe, what about the guys on the IR?

Justin Harper with some Maturing could become a good guy to have on the field. What about DWill?

Would also like see Marcus Smith get more time.

They will all get their shots... it's not about having 1 good receiver, it's about having 2-3 really good receivers. Arizona is good because they have 2 pro bowl receivers and a very good slot receiver. Same with Indy all these years. Same with New England in 2007.

D-Will can be a good receiver, but we have to get another guy as well. I'm tired of relying on question mark players when we have the capabilities to acquire solid starters via the draft. (See: Last year with our starting corners.) It's great to have potential starters coming off IR, but until they prove they can stay healthy, I'd approach it like they're not there.

I was sort've meaning to draw the comparison between Harvin and Holmes in my last post... They're probably about the same size and speed. I don't like calling Harvin a "deep threat", because like holmes, he's so much more than that. Great catching ability, and a playmaker whenever he touches the ball. He's a much better receiver than Ted Ginn, and Miami took him in the top 10. If it wasn't for his injury history, he would be a top 10 guy himself.

I'm excited to take a receiver either way. I just hope we don't wait until the 6th round.

We wont wait until 6th round for WR. I would very surprised if we do anything besides CB-1st round, WR- 2nd round, or vice versa. Those are our most glaring needs and Ozzie will deliver !

GO RAVENS !

Demetrius Williams has a lot of talent, but he can never secure the ball when coming down for the catch. He certainly is aggressive and makes a great effort, he just needs to get stronger. I really hope D-Will will be 100% this year. The guy needs a full training camp, he needs to get insync with Flacco. We really need his depth. I love his talent to become a great deep threat for us, but he has not been healthy the last two seasons. This is certainly a make-or-break offseason for D-Will. Drafting a receiver early, and a healthy D-Will will give us four solid receivers, and more importantly, Joe more options to work with.