ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The tainted past-time

cravnravn

Of all of the MLBers, A-Rod was the last person that I thought would turn to this. I remember this kid in high school on ESPN. He talked how he idolized Cal Ripken. He played the game with passion, he was a pure fielder, a pure hitter. He might have been a tad greedy with the Texas contract. But its turned into a business, nobody faulted Babe Ruth in the 30's when he was making 100,000, {Unitas made 7,500 in 1957}..

It saddens me, to hear that these guys cheat, 60's-94 there wasnt a bigger fan of the O's than myself, and of all of baseball. Back in the day, I hated the Yankees, but I loved watching Mickey Mantle.

This is getting as bad as the WWF, atleast in wrestling you know they are on roids.

I lost all interest in baseball in 1994 after they cancelled the world series..I wtched 1 game in all of 1995, and that was 2131. I still keep an ear to the radio listen to whats going on in the baseball world. Yesterdays news, I was in total shock, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, A-rod on the juice. And now you have to question how long he was on it, this kid was the youngest to get to 500 HRs, he was on pace to shatter Bonds tainted record to pieces.

Over the past 10 years, baseball has really went downhill, 1st Ralphy now A-Rod who's next Cal Ripken?

In 2000? I knew McGuire was juicing, just had a feeling.

Have an A-rod autographed baseball going cheap..

Of all of the MLBers, A-Rod was the last person that I thought would turn to this. I remember this kid in high school on ESPN. He talked how he idolized Cal Ripken. He played the game with passion, he was a pure fielder, a pure hitter. He might have been a tad greedy with the Texas contract. But its turned into a business, nobody faulted Babe Ruth in the 30's when he was making 100,000, {Unitas made 7,500 in 1957}..

It saddens me, to hear that these guys cheat, 60's-94 there wasnt a bigger fan of the O's than myself, and of all of baseball. Back in the day, I hated the Yankees, but I loved watching Mickey Mantle.

This is getting as bad as the WWF, atleast in wrestling you know they are on roids.

I lost all interest in baseball in 1994 after they cancelled the world series..I wtched 1 game in all of 1995, and that was 2131. I still keep an ear to the radio listen to whats going on in the baseball world. Yesterdays news, I was in total shock, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, A-rod on the juice. And now you have to question how long he was on it, this kid was the youngest to get to 500 HRs, he was on pace to shatter Bonds tainted record to pieces.

Over the past 10 years, baseball has really went downhill, 1st Ralphy now A-Rod who's next Cal Ripken?

In 2000? I knew McGuire was juicing, just had a feeling.

Have an A-rod autographed baseball going cheap..

I understand your frustration Crav. I cannot say I am surprised by this report that A-Rod took steroids. After Brian Roberts came out and admitted usage, nothing else surprised me beyond that. The only way I would go into a similar shock as you are in is if Cal and Griffey (the players my generation idolized) were proved to have taken steroids.

I can't say I am surprised. Not because everyone's done it, but because ARod has always been a little slimey... at least over the last few years, that's what we've come to find out about him.

There are few guys that are still on my "absolutely, positively clean" list... very few... and only if some of them get called out will I really be shocked.

But at this point... moving on.

I can't say I am surprised. Not because everyone's done it, but because ARod has always been a little slimey... at least over the last few years, that's what we've come to find out about him.

There are few guys that are still on my "absolutely, positively clean" list... very few... and only if some of them get called out will I really be shocked.

But at this point... moving on.

Agreed. There's no shock factor at all. I don't think you could name a single person I'd be shocked about. Especially A-Rod...

Not really. There's no reason to be.

I would be shocked. Both Griffey and Cal those hard working, live, breathe and eat baseball guys who grew up around the game their whole lives. Both guys had fathers who played professionally and grew up in baseball families around the game. I would definitely be shocked.

I would be shocked. Both Griffey and Cal those hard working, live, breathe and eat baseball guys who grew up around the game their whole lives. Both guys had fathers who played professionally and grew up in baseball families around the game. I would definitely be shocked.

And? Every word of what you said is applicant to Roberts (his dad is a baseball coach). There is absolutely no reason to be shocked about any athlete being involved with steroids anymore.

Sure there is.

Roberts at least had the uncanny power outburst right around the time of his alleged/admitted use.

Shock or surprise does not mean unbelievable. It simply means unexpected. And there are plenty of people that I think still belong on the unexpected side.

ARod wasn't one. Griffey, Ripken, Maddux all go there in my book.

Crav, you're still getting just half the story.

In 2003, MLB introduced its drug testing program. EVERYONE was tested. If more than 5% of players tested positive, the players union would agree to introducing penalties and a formal policy. If fewer than 5% tested positive, they would pretty much say that steroids were not an issue and a complex drug policy wouldn't be worth it.

104 people tested positive. ARod was one of those, as we now know. BUT the names were supposed to be 100% confidential because the program, at that time, was not about penalties but about learning about usage at that time. As far as we know, ARod has never tested positive since, because if he did, all tests since then come with penalties and are not confidential.

Really, I kind of want to know who the other names are... but I also think that there was an agreement to keep these names quiet and it should stay that way. We already know most of them probably, thanks to the Mitchell Report. And if anything, most of them are probably nobodies.

There are lots of problems with this whole thing by the way... I am more concerned about the number of times that it appears people have been told ahead of time that there were going to be tested.

As for why ARod is the only leak? Because someone else told us, not MLB.

Honestly, I agree with Schilling.

Release all the names. Then the other 640 players in MLB are cleared and fans know who to trust and who not to.

If your name wasn't called in 2003, and it hasn't been called since... odds are, you are clean. Sure, HGH and other masks may still be lingering... but throw them all out there, let us see them... and then we can know who NOT to look at anymore.

It's only fair to the guys that have been playing fairly all along.

I have stopped caring about baseball. I see it's demise on the horizon.

I stopped caring when Barry Bonds, the "Bash Brothers", and many others brought this down upon the game. Until all their records are struck from the record books, I will not pay respect to any of those players. Roger Clemens included.

BTW...do not think the NFL doesn't have a few skeletons in it's own closet in this regard.

I have stopped caring about baseball. I see it's demise on the horizon.

And yet, attendance and revenues are at all time highs... tv viewership too, though not for the bigger games like the Series.

I think the sport is fine and will survive. Remember, steroid testing is just a few years old now... this cloud will pass one day. Might take another 5 or 10... but it will pass. Especially as more and more names get caught and get cleared.

And yet, attendance and revenues are at all time highs... tv viewership too, though not for the bigger games like the Series.

I think the sport is fine and will survive. Remember, steroid testing is just a few years old now... this cloud will pass one day. Might take another 5 or 10... but it will pass. Especially as more and more names get caught and get cleared.

Cleared? Where is that list at? All I see is big names of the game getting busted.