ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Alomar Sued: AIDS Phobia

deeshopper

Ex-Oriole Roberto Alomar is being sued for AIDS phobia by his former girlfriend, who claims the former ballplayer had years of unprotected sex with her when he should have known he was infected, according to papers filed Tuesday in Brooklyn federal court.

Ilya Dall of Whitestone, N.Y., said she met Alomar, 41, in 2002 and began an intimate relationship with him in which he said he was free of any sexually transmitted diseases, according to the papers.

But, after Alomar showed various signs of fatigue, low blood platelet counts and other physical problems, tests in February 2006 showed that he was suffering from AIDS, according to Dall's papers.

More: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...0,2150056.story

Why is it being called AIDS Phobia?

Does he have AIDS Phobia? If he were scared (phobic) of AIDS, wouldn't he wear protection and avoid all sexual contact with people?

Or is it that the girlfriend is AIDS-phobic?

Or is it just a misprint and Alomar is really an AIDS-philiac?

What I found going to far is that she brought up his rape whan he was 17. The Aids and that situation are seperate. She is going hard for the win.

I haven't read anything where this is mentioned. In fact, the only place I've read this is here. Also, a negative HIV test doesn't mean it won't be positive later.

I haven't read anything where this is mentioned. In fact, the only place I've read this is here. Also, a negative HIV test doesn't mean it won't be positive later.

Very true, but then you wait until it is positive.

This is an absurd thing to sue for. If a get into a minor accident with no injuries with a drunk driver, can a I sue them for pain and suffering and medical bills just because they are drunk? No of course not.

Though if she does test positive he should be thrown in jail and he should turn over damn near every penny he can to here.

Very true, but then you wait until it is positive.

This is an absurd thing to sue for. If a get into a minor accident with no injuries with a drunk driver, can a I sue them for pain and suffering and medical bills just because they are drunk? No of course not.

Though if she does test positive he should be thrown in jail and he should turn over damn near every penny he can to here.

Just to clear some things up. Roberto has HIV, and that's what his former girlfriend would be tested for. AIDS is the late stages of the virus if/when it ever progresses that far. Roberto does not have AIDS, he has HIV, otherwise he would be spending most of his time in hospitals and would not look in good health at all. I don't care what the news reports, many people are sadly still very uneducated about this virus. AIDS is what can/may happen to an individual, however it's not necessarily going to happen. Having the virus does not mean all sexual contact must be avoided. A condom is completely effective preventative when used properly and there are more couples (married and unmarried) than anyone realizes living together with just one partner being infected.

ALl very true, Yager.

I think what she (and most) are upset about is that Roberto apparently knew he had HIV, did not tell her, and then proceeded to have UNprotected sex. That's irresponsible and putting your partner at risk without letting them know. I would say it's similar to driving someone around all day and not telling them you don't have a license, or not telling them your car doesn't have brakes...

But I think the point remains that unless she contracts the virus, there's not much to sue for. Just like unless the guy driving you around crashes the car, there's nothing to sue for. You are supposed to be "made whole." She is whole.

In April 2005, Alomar told Dall he was suffering from erectile dysfunction and confided "he was raped by two Mexican men after playing a ballgame in New Mexico or a Southwestern state when he was 17," the suit says.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/02/...to_alomar_.html

This is the article I heard Bruce Cunningham read last week.

ONLY if he knew at the time that he did have AIDS.

Whether or not he truthfully assured her that he didn't have a disease, she should not get to play a victim role by choosing to have unprotected sex. She should not get anything if she eventually tests positive.