ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I was to young to hear this

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=9190

The Search For Context Amid Eddie's Afterglow

By Stan "The Fan" Charles

That Eddie Murray was one of the greatest Orioles has never been in doubt. He deserved his enshrinement in Cooperstown, N.Y., and the Orioles Hall of Fame, as well as this recent honor with the other five greatest names in Orioles history with their own statues in the team's Walk of Legends.

As great as the Orioles' statue unveilings have been, they have also served to unveil how Baltimore feels about these men -- and how these men feel about Baltimore. That is why the unveiling of Murray's statue was due to be so interesting. Of the six legendary Orioles in franchise history, Murray alone chose to leave. Unlike lots of players that leave one place for another, Murray didn't leave for more money. He left for better working conditions.

Those involved haven't fully disclosed what caused the deterioration of Murray's relationship with the Orioles or the unbelievable fall from grace he suffered with fans, and, ultimately, Murray's downright uneasiness to be part of this town.

Having been partly responsible for what went on in souring this wonderful relationship, I feel I can add the necessary context to the story that others might conveniently choose to forget or simply not remember.

The year was 1986. Then-Orioles manager Earl Weaver was back at the helm for his first full season. Expectations were high -- stopper Don Aase would be healthy and two youngsters that had played so splendidly during the second half of 1985, outfielder Mike Young and third baseman Floyd Rayford, were ready to be consistent forces.

But as good as Aase was, many other pieces of the puzzle -- Young, Rayford and, yes, even Murray -- struggled out of the box. With the team floundering in June, Murray began to be a culprit, as his statistics were markedly down from any prior season.

Even now, when one looks at the numbers Murray put up in 1986, it's no wonder people were raising questions. A man used to hitting between 27 and 33 home runs, knocking in more than 110 RBIs, and having more than 60 extra-base hits was on his way to an uncharacteristic season, during which he hit 17 home runs, knocked in 84 RBIs and had 43 extra-base hits.

When a certain postgame radio talk show host brought those questions up, Murray, who had rarely faced criticism, became agitated, defensive and recalcitrant in his stance to answer questions from a media he used to be able to control.

Nightly on the "Stan The Fan Show" on WFBR, the Orioles' flagship station at the time, talk turned to Murray and then turned ugly as the simple discourse about his failing numbers ended up as a nightly soap box for many to begin to take the thread and unravel a man's soul. The same fans that had worshiped Murray began to want him traded for Don Mattingly, because Murray didn't hustle, didn't get his uniform dirty.

When, as host, I brought up the topic, thinking it could be contained as a baseball-only investigation, I watched naïvely as others took hold of the tenor of the debate and brought race into it, and larger questions of character, which had never been my intention.

In August 1986, then-Orioles owner Edward Bennett Williams consented to come onto my show. In discussions leading up to his appearance, I pointed to Murray's failing numbers as an area of discussion.

When Williams got on the air, sensing that the tone of the program had been getting pretty rough on No. 33, Williams proactively sought out common ground with his fans, as he questioned Murray's conditioning and leadership.

Within days, the fact that Williams had betrayed Murray sent the player into a spiraling dislike for the owner and the local media. As that relationship soured, the fans turned on the moody first baseman, to the point that he had to suffer racial epithets being hurled at him.

Although it took two years for the divorce to become final, it was Williams' unfortunate choice not to back his player that ultimately set in stone the inevitability that Murray would leave -- and leave on a bad note.

There was that brief cameo moment when the Orioles, in the middle of a pennant race, turned to their former recalcitrant first baseman to help them into the playoffs and allow him the moment of hitting his 500th home run to occur in Orioles livery. But the good vibes were short-lived between player and franchise, and player and fans.

Then came this new opportunity, with the statues being erected and unveiled this summer. Enough time had passed to allow both sides to warm to one another and remember the good times.

For me, it was a time of mixed emotions. At 60 years old, looking back upon how I served the community and the ballclub, I am flush with feelings that had I not participated in the debate back then, maybe Murray's entire career would have been as an Oriole. I don't get overwhelmed with regrets, because I know in my heart, I was just doing what I always wanted to do in this town -- talk baseball honestly and openly, with an agenda of making it fun for fans to congregate and talk after ballgames.

But I do feel sad about my role in the entire mess. Something important was lost between player and city. When I look at the others, it's easy to feel that had I been a little less naïve as to where the debate about Murray would ultimately go, I probably would take back everything I said negatively about the man.

I would take back everything I said, if it were in my power to have a do-over. I am man enough to say this, but I still wonder whether Murray wishes he could have a do-over as well.

Time marches on, and also allows perspective and context.

Great find papa!

I've always been a fan of "Stan the Fan". Listened to his show every night.

He is the first local media person to admit that the media can "run a guy out of town". That has been something that has bothered me since I became a sports fan. Wether it's the O's, Baltimore Colts or Ravens there have been and currently are players that they can publicly tarnish. Quotes can get twisted and false rumors can get reinforced until fans perceive them as fact.

Ed Reed is the latest. He's an icon. He's a Hall of Famer. He has given his all and electrified this city. So his problem is communication with the public and he's not so good at being his own agent. We don't understand what he tried to say this off season and he's taken a lot of grief for it.

The national media (not local...they have stood up for Joe) has been trying hard to crack Flacco.

In todays local sports media market it's almost non stop coverage....which I love because I remember when it was hard as hell to get any information. But all that coverage has a down side when the talk shows get locked into bashing somebody or some organization like the Orioles. I saw the Colts leave town. I've been fearing that could be the Orioles fate. Well...they are on the O's bandwagon big time right now so for the moment that worry is gone.

Billick was my favorite. He gave the media plenty of fodder and stood up to all of them. Local and National. Preston hated it.

Most guys don't have a thick skin like Billick. They just stop talking to the media which really get's them on the shit list. Eventually the fun goes out of being here for them.